Levi's Vintage Clothing

just noticed there aren't any belt loops

I've seen an interview with the wardrobe lady from "America Graffiti", and in it she mentioned that when she was a teen in the early 60s, the style where she lived was to remove the belt loops, and fold down and press the waist band (and she recalled altering boyfriends' jeans for them in that manner), so she altered the jeans for the John Milner character in that fashion.  I wonder if something similar was done to Aho's jeans 50 years ago?    

@aho having finally copped a feel of the real mccoy, which of the repro brand do you think have got closest to it in terms of fabric?

Compared to my LVC '55s, it looks like LVC got the fading right (though I have my doubts when it comes to weight).   

^Thanks everyone, excited to finally get a pair in my hands...

Regarding what they're most similar to, it's hard to say. Setterman is right in that LVC 55's actually have the fades very close to the original, but the vintage pair has more of a heft/weight to it (almost feel like Eternals). It's funny because (baring individual differences between vintage years, pairs and so forth) you can see which directions each repro brand took their interpretations based on what characteristics they wanted to focus on. For Full Count, the fades are top notch (more akin to 60's IMO) but you can see how Tsujita-san wanted to focus on luxury and comfort, the softness of the fabric itself as it reaches years and years of wear. For Warehouse, the 1000XX fabric comes close and details are more balanced than taking any sort of extreme, but their focus is on wearing in pairs fast so the dyeing doesn't seem accurate off the bat (although the final product is lovely). I almost want to say Sugar Cane is probably the closest in terms of soul (their repros; not their blended fabrics) as they're built hard, hard to break in, and aren't forgiving just as I imagine these old Levi's were. But in the end, there's nothing like the real thing...

As far as my personal preference, I'll continue to wear repro's of all sorts (Warehouse, FC, Ooe, SC, etc.)!

Edited by aho

another "posterity post" (check the signature)

LVC 1922 32x34

Measurements:

waist: 17.5in
front rise: 13in
back rise: 16in
thigh: 13.25in
knee: 10in
leg opening: 22.5cm
inseam: 33.75in

10862556806_3f169538c4_z.jpg

10862515505_2c7177cd83_z.jpg

10862662814_1cbac9d970_z.jpg

10862663444_4ca7736920_z.jpg

10862523815_03bff2b4a3_z.jpg

10862856453_ab10b4e4e8_z.jpg

10862569396_6bcea2a630_z.jpg

For sale at a low, shameless price! (sorry to clog the thread guys!)

hi guys

I'm looking at getting some pre-distressed lvc's (something like pitchfork etc) but I'm not 100% on how to size. I know with the stf's to generally size up 2-3" on 47's/54's, go tts on 44's etc

is this the same for the pre-distressed?

Previous 501's and current 511's are tts @ W34/L32 which is pretty much spot on

cheers 

Hey everyone. First time post. Been reading this forum for a very long time now, glad to be on board. I just bought a pair of 55's from the Levis Store Meatpacking in NYC. They are pretty much exclusively an LVC store. The jeans are great. I noticed that the patch does not say "Every Garment Guaranteed" on it. All the tags are legit. Same as my 47's which i brought there. I just thought this was odd. I am not going to return a paid of jeans just for some words on a patch, but wanted to see if this was a known mistake that LVC has made. Also the stamp on the back of my button is a "42". any thoughts on that? 

Edited by ImMike

Doesn't seem quite right to me. You can view a pic of the 55 patch on the Aeroleather website, which clearly states the guarantee:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=144

Paul T's excellent guide also states that the guarantee remains (despite the patch changing from leather to card) here;

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/33596-levis-501-a-visual-guide/?p=598867

EDIT: the guarantee was removed on the 66 jeans.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Hey everyone. First time post. Been reading this forum for a very long time now, glad to be on board. I just bought a pair of 55's from the Levis Store Meatpacking in NYC. They are pretty much exclusively an LVC store. The jeans are great. I noticed that the patch does not say "Every Garment Guaranteed" on it. All the tags are legit. Same as my 47's which i brought there. I just thought this was odd. I am not going to return a paid of jeans just for some words on a patch, but wanted to see if this was a known mistake that LVC has made. Also the stamp on the back of my button is a "42". any thoughts on that? 

Possible they're '66s?  

For what LVC is selling for nowadays, I'd return them for the wrong words on the patch.  We're over paying by at least $100, because they're supposed to be a historically correct reproduction.    

Hey everyone. Wonder if anyone has every tried the 50's sportswears t's? Was curious how they fit. I am short but have big chest, shoulders and arms. Wear an extra large in all my t shirts. Was curious if it really a slim for up top or not. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm looking for answers regarding the lvc 501 '78 dark stonewash model, I was trying out a pair that was perfect in size for me in the store yesterday but I'm always paranoid about the size when buying jeans in this pricerange. I'm wondering if i should expect any shrinkage out of this model although being pre-washed? Thankful for any answers. 

Hey everyone. Wonder if anyone has every tried the 50's sportswears t's? Was curious how they fit. I am short but have big chest, shoulders and arms. Wear an extra large in all my t shirts. Was curious if it really a slim for up top or not. Thanks in advance.

you should be fine in an xl. they are super soft and stretch out as necessary. if you wanna look like a badass/wear it 50s style (see the cover of "a street car named desire) get a large to show off the bod. best tshirts ever.

Any infirmation about new denim and 501 in the upcoming season? Changes or anything? With the lots of negative talk about the brand lately I am surprised and happy about the fact that the 47s for example seems to be selling in most places that carry them. What do you think, will we have the brand around for 5 more years?

Only new raw denim I've heard of is the 551ZXX coming back.  I expect the raw 501/505 line up to remain the same. 

I have my doubts about the brand.  I know fewer smaller shops are carrying it, and they're carrying fewer items. You can't expect them to pay wholesale for an item and then have it sit on their shelves for five months until it finally gets marked down to sell.  Every day that item sits on the shelf, it's costing them money, and by the time they sell it at 40 to 70% off, they're making very little. The flagship stores probably move more product to tourists and people looking to buy something simply because it's more expensive and they think it's more exclusive, but even the flagship stores are having end of season sales were things are marked down as much at 70%.

I'm familiar enough with the quality of the different items in LVC's line up, that I won't buy something unless it's at least 40% off.  I have a pair of '54s on their way to me, that I paid $127 for (including shipping).  That's what they're worth, not the $250 to $280 most places are trying to sell them at.   

For the historically minded denim buyer, with the weak yen, there's no reason to consider LVC other than for the '33 and 1890.  Sugar Cane, Warehouse, Full Count, Denime.... any of them produce a better late 30s through early 70s 501 style jean than LVC does.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First of all would like to say I'm glad to finally join the community after lurking round the forums for quite some time  B)  

Ordered myself some rigid 501Z XX 1954's. My first shrink to fit purchase. Ordered two pairs from Mr Porter, one W32 L36 and a W33 L36. I thought it would be simply a matter of deciding the right size but strangely enough there seem to be quite a few differences between each piece besides just the size.

I was hoping some LVC experts on here might be able to shed some light on these differences. Have they been manufactured in different places?

WGwEhegl.jpg

W32

- Leather patch stitching on outer edge - rough finish

- Brown barcode tab

- Made in USA/Cone Mills tag

- 'Levis Vintage Clothing' 2 set tag

- Blue thread stitching on fly

VLXPjVsl.jpg

ieKljLEl.jpg

IUKFkrul.jpg

rEd7B25l.jpg

W33