Levi's Vintage Clothing

Wow - glad I asked! Had a feeling this wouldn't be straightforward ...

Get the chest measurements from whomever you're looking to buy from, and expect to lose 2" with washing. My size XL 506s started at 54" and shrank to 52". I think the XL 507 starts at 50". So the 507 is noticeably smaller.

Get the chest measurements from whomever you're looking to buy from, and expect to lose 2" with washing. My size XL 506s started at 54" and shrank to 52". I think the XL 507 starts at 50". So the 507 is noticeably smaller.

That's a lot of shrinkage - had no idea the 506's were sized so differently from the 507's

Just got hold of a type II STF - it's a beautifully cut jacket - but the buttons are plastic!! Can't believe it. Thank you LVC ... so much for faithful reproductions. Anyone know if this is the same with the type I?

^THAT is outrageous!

I tell you I'm shocked ... What is the point of making a reproduction jacket to stuff it up with such an important detail? It's not as if the jackets are cheap ... Makes you wonder what else is wrong.

I tell you I'm shocked ... What is the point of making a reproduction jacket to stuff it up with such an important detail? It's not as if the jackets are cheap ... Makes you wonder what else is wrong.

Are you sure it's not fake? Where did you get it?

Are you sure it's not fake? Where did you get it?

I'm sure it's genuine. Bought it from Aero Leathers in Scotland (who have made suede jackets for Levis in the past) and it's got the other details you'd expect - leather patch, single sided big E red tab and Cone Mills denim. But plastic buttons... Which since I first posted this I've noticed on another LVC product - the top button on a pair of 1954 zipper jeans bought from the official LVC Cinch store in London just 3 weeks ago. This is part of a worrying trend

Oh they are doing it again? History repeated ;)

Quote from Hidehiko Yamane (but about regular Levi's):

“But in the 1980s, jeans were changing. The quality of the sewing was going down, rivets were different, the material was not the same anymore, and they even used plastic buttons. I thought this was weird, so I started to research how jeans were made.â€

Kinda funny

Full article about Osaka5

http://www.japanesestreets.com/reports/1313/the-quest-for-perfect-jeans

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Oh they are doing it again? History repeated ;)

Quote from Hidehiko Yamane (but about regular Levi's):

Kinda funny

Full article about Osaka5

http://www.japanesestreets.com/reports/1313/the-quest-for-perfect-jeans

Interesting article - maybe I should switch to Japanese designer denim ...

^ you should

In my opinion (and I know I will offend some of the Levi's folks): the Japanese made jeans and repro ones are, hands down, better.

They are no exact copies so if you want the  original "Levi's insignia" you have to stick to LVC. But if you want more interesting (to me) jeans with better eye to details, take a look at the repro brands like Warehouse, Fullcount and some of the smaller ones like DenimProject and the like.

I've had these 47 501s for some time - looks like since 09. They have the nicest denim I've ever seen on a pair of Levis. It seems heavier than others I've owned and the denim has nep, something I've never noticed in their denim. I think these would give the Japanese repros a run for their money! 4170, Caitec in Cali.

0754317c-b54d-4575-b1ef-60286b085fba_zps

fc526d19-88ff-4083-8254-8f0d47b0f603_zps

aec52b17-5ebb-493f-a62a-f158d7fd527f_zps

I also owned (or still own?) a pair of these '47 with button code 4170.

Maybe I was a bit ignorant back then but I was disappointed of the feel and look of the denim :D

Hey b_f - I just sold a pair of 4170 47 501s on ebay which did not have this denim - they had pretty mundane denim with good twill and deep color, but nowhere near the quality of the ones I posted. Same factory but much different denim. Don't remember the year, unfortunately. That's why I will keep these until I wear through my other two pair currently in rotation; if ever. :)

the buttons LVC has used the past couple years aren't plastic, they're just really, really, cheap. If you want a vintage Levis style jean, you're better off with any of the brands BF mentioned.  If you aren't stuck on Levis style jeans, WarehouseXLee absolutely blows LVC outta the water when it comes to reproducing a 50 year old jean.  

What (which factory) does the button code 337 stand for? (on the LVC 47s; back of top button)

Don't know who it is, but they've been making LVC 501 for the past two years.  I think they still are, but my 1978s that were made within the past year have a different number on them (can't remember it off the top of my head).  Don't know if they have two plants making different models, or have switched manufactures yet again.   

How's it going guys?

Bought my first pair of LVC 47's (34x34) last April and after the initial soak/dry, I loved how they fit, although I wasn't able to wear them on a consistent basis and haven't worn them since June, when I tried them on again this past week, they fit like skinny jeans on the thigh/hip area now :( (started doing Leg workouts consistenly for the past couple of weeks).

Is there any chance these might stretch out a little if I keep wearing them around the house (can't wear them like this if I go out :ph34r: )    

If I were to soak them again, and wear them while drying with extra shorts underneath, could they somehow stretch also? I don't want to go through the process if it's all for naught, I might just give them to my brother instead.

Also, I tried some regular stf 501's last night in a 36W and after shrinking/drying, they kind of fit like how my 34W 47's used to fit.

the buttons LVC has used the past couple years aren't plastic, they're just really, really, cheap. If you want a vintage Levis style jean, you're better off with any of the brands BF mentioned.  If you aren't stuck on Levis style jeans, WarehouseXLee absolutely blows LVC outta the water when it comes to reproducing a 50 year old jean.

The Warehouse jeans do look like they've got the details right.

The buttons on the LVC 1953 type II certainly are cheap. They're unlike anything I've seen on a pair of Levis before - they don't have metal backs and they feel very plasticky and thin throughout, and quite different to the alloy buttons on all the other pairs of Levis I have.

So does anyone know of a UK / European importer of these masterpieces by Warehouse, Fullcount and the rest ... Not speaking / reading Japanese could be a problem ordering them online and I'm guessing they'll have some kind of import customs duty making them v expensive. Also no idea if the sizes are as they say they are. I've got a couple of Japanese shirts and I'm normally a medium but ended up taking a large etc

For Warehouse and Fullcount you can go to Son of Stag in London. But even with import customs it should be cheaper ordering from Japan. For Fullcount I would advise you to buy from www.and-japan.com. The owner speaks english, is easy to deal with and shipping is free.

It's not rocket science ;)

For sizing, ask in the relevant threads or search through those threads for measurements, posted by other users :)

For Warehouse and Fullcount you can go to Son of Stag in London. But even with import customs it should be cheaper ordering from Japan. For Fullcount I would advise you to buy from www.and-japan.com. The owner speaks english, is easy to deal with and shipping is free.

It's not rocket science ;)

For sizing, ask in the relevant threads or search through those threads for measurements, posted by other users :)

Brilliant, thanks. Loving the Type I jackets by both Fullcount and Warehouse

Well guys, I broke my vintage cherry. Picked up a pair of late 50's 501XX for a ridiculous price. Easily the coolest pair of jeans I own and suddenly this whole denim game, repros, etc. all make sense to me. Having a pair in hand, I can see why all these Japanese guys etc. go to such great lengths to replicate the legendary 501 and how our whole denim world started. Simply put, there's nothing like the real thing...

Pictures:
10735985285_f37aa1543a_z.jpg
10736304333_05aa45d8c9_z.jpg
10735995895_5609b6823c_z.jpg
10736312263_d8abcec73c_z.jpg
10736098596_58b3b1038a_z.jpg
10736103366_da27d0057b_z.jpg
10736325063_0d4fbf2c09_z.jpg
10736108136_6595bbeec6_z.jpg
10736114764_f322a64a1f_z.jpg
10736113466_89ba31c07b_z.jpg