Levi's Vintage Clothing

What LVC needs is this level of customer feedback and for people to stop buying their products until they're satisfied LVC has it right. This is not so straightforward with online shopping but is still possible.

I think we make the mistake of assuming that we are the average LVC consumer. Odds are, 4 out of 5 LVC buyers aren't concerned about buttons, pocket bags, cinch hardware, a completely historical cut, etc. I'm sure that most LVC customers are more fashion than history oriented (all you have to do is look at all the pre-distressed stuff LVC produces), and simply buy an LVC product because it gives a look they're going for. We all have ideas and hopes for what LVC could and should be, but I think if we set the bar too high, we're only going to continue to be disappointed. Accept the brand for what it is, or move on to Sugar Cane, Warehouse or SDA.

Pre soak they started life a cunt hair short of 32".

I have always thought that the States should not standardize on the metric system, but rather on the cunt hair system. It really has stood the test of time.

My fear...if people stop buying, Levi will simply shut the line down...they need to understand that a market is there if executed properly. What that is, however, is the key question.

What LVC needs is this level of customer feedback and for people to stop buying their products until they're satisfied LVC has it right. This is not so straightforward with online shopping but is still possible.

lets see some pics. from my recent experience ( 2010 1955s, 2009 1915s pre xx ) the hardware has appeared kinda shotty since XX. the buttons looked super shiney. like chrome. then they got really rusty after a soak. All my other LVCs have had a matte finish on the buttons and never rusted. I don't know what that means, I don't even know what they should be made out of for authenticity. Also, the shanks are all zinc.

Pics comparing back pockets and buttons from 2009-ish and 2011 47s.

LVC 47 2009 vs. 2011

LVC 47 2009 Button

LVC 47 2011 Button

Pics comparing back pockets and buttons from 2009-ish and 2011 47s.

that's a helluva different between the two pockets! Without digging up photos of a vintage pair to compare them to, neither really looks right to me.

Is that patch bigger on the new 47s too?

I think somewhere in this thread the back pocket changes were already discussed and present before SS11. I don't think the photo really shows the difference. The jeans on the right at least should be laid flat

Left: 47 size 34 SS09

Right: 47 size 36 FW11

unbenannt6n.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In terms of overall dimension this pic is quite useless though.

Edited by ThomasK

I think we make the mistake of assuming that we are the average LVC consumer. Odds are, 4 out of 5 LVC buyers aren't concerned about buttons, pocket bags, cinch hardware, a completely historical cut, etc. I'm sure that most LVC customers are more fashion than history oriented (all you have to do is look at all the pre-distressed stuff LVC produces), and simply buy an LVC product because it gives a look they're going for. We all have ideas and hopes for what LVC could and should be, but I think if we set the bar too high, we're only going to continue to be disappointed. Accept the brand for what it is, or move on to Sugar Cane, Warehouse or SDA.

What company, overall, has done the best job of reproing historic Levi's (and other brands of the era)? Evis/evisu, Warehouse, SDA, etc.

What company, overall, has done the best job of reproing historic Levi's (and other brands of the era)? Evis/evisu, Warehouse, SDA, etc.

Every time I put on a pair of Canes I can't help but think "this is what LVC should be" especially when it comes to the denim used on the SC66. And I think SC is the only brand trying to be a true Levis repro. The other brands take bits and pieces and details, but aren't trying to be exact copies.

If someone wants a late 40s/ early 50s cut, I'll always recommend the current Warehouse 1001XX over the LVC 47 or 55. It might not try to be an exact replica in every shape and detail (though it doesn't appear too far off), but when worn it looks more "Wild One" than I've ever seen a pair of LVC 44, 47s, or 55s look.

most Lee japan is very accurate. i've had the 36,42,44 & still have the 52's. they are almost identical to the originals even using all-cotton thread. that said they have their own severe fit issues with most running 2 inches over tagged size. the fact that they are sanforized compounds the problem because they won't shrink. but even their washed models usually look very authentic being much more genuine looking than the LVC models. they are more expensive and you have to be sure of fit but the best ones are like a time machine.

Count me in. Allthough i am not the expert that others on this board are, japanese brands mostly do not have the same appeal to me. Their availability is a mystery for me, as well. While their cut might be more accurate, I actually want the arcuates, the patch etc. And the fabric is great to imo. Look at the results of the cultizm contest...

Maybe some can correct me, but I think I remember that some people here said larger back pockets are more accurate.

well speaking of non latest lvc, i ended up keeping the pair of pre-2009 44's i found last week hoping shrink to fit would be ok, but looks like i might need a belt so i think i'll be letting them go… these are new old stock pair, they have the beautiful pink arcuates, green herringbone pockets with no stamped logo, 4170 top button, and come with a cloth tote and a lvc hard cover book titled "evolution of the jean". one hot soak, never worn outdoors. tag size 34x34. post-soak measuring is 34" waist & 32.5" inseam. they'll be in supermarket soon with pics, but you can pm me now for a super great bargain!

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/131486-fs-levis-lvc-1944-s501xx-34x34/

Edited by min2max

I'm pretty much with house and thomas. At the end of the day, I still love LVC. The hardware does seem cheaper IMO, but it's still not enough for me to be upset. Also because I got a helluva deal. Like many of you, I would never pay full price for most of the popular cuts, as there's always a deal to be had.

As far as Levis repros, I do think Warehouse is about as good as it gets, but it's still not Levi's. Levi's still does their repros better than anyone else because they can. For jeans cuts from the 40s and above, you probably could (should?) look elsewhere, but have you seen the shit roy6 wears? I hate fawning over another man's style, but the Levis repro items he wears always looks... wonderfully vintage. Unless the quality turns to absolute shit, I'll still buy LVC (though not any jeans because it's obvious I have too many pairs already).

Edit: goom-- the 2011 rigid are made in the USA.

Edited by grooveholmes

Interesting debate.

Don't agree with all opinions - quality and, more seriously, sizing is of course maddeningly inconsistent and if you want a generic 50s repro, items like warehouse are every bit as good if you don't mind losing the arcuates and tagging. But of much more concern to me is the fact that the interesting items that are unique to LVC - Lot 66, Pantaloons, Duck Pullover, Hunting Jackets, Balloons, etc etc - don't seem to sell. I'm worried we'll lose them.

Warehouse/Heller's Cafe are about the only other people who do the less predictable items and many of their prices are even scarier than LVC.

thanks for posting the comparisons. Don't know if I'd call the new buttons cheaper, but they are different. I wonder which is more correct? and while we may complain about parts of the raw LVC 501s looking "cheaper", remember, in 1947 a pair of 501s were like a $2 or $3 item. I'm sure the components used in them weren't the top of the line! it's always a fine line being walked in the reproduction of vintage garments. You want to hold as true to the original, but when selling an expensive garment, it needs to look like an expensive garment.

As for the unique items Paul mentioned, it really doesn't surprise me that they aren't big sellers. They may be unique and interesting, and items that people like to see (myself included), but when it comes to actually dropping anywhere from $300 to $800 on what amounts to a big fashion step, most aren't willing to take it. I know it might be bland or repetitive, but 1930s onward is a lot more wearable, and more importantly, marketable.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Paul T, January 5, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Paul T, January 5, 2012 - No reason given

Sure. But remember, this is a denim-nerd forum, so expecting more people to be into something beyond the norm, like cinchbacks or duck isn't a big ask. And it is working, you only need look at other threads to see that duck, for example, is way more popular than it used to be. Props to LVC for expanding our choice, I say, I just hope it stays that way.

Edited by Paul T