Levi's Vintage Clothing

If they can't keep up with demand, then that is a "good" problem to try and solve. Premium jeans are a pretty well defined market, as compared to their standard offerings which is more mainstream. Any surge in demand will probably come from the Asia Pacific region, which traditionally has not been a "big" premium market for Levi's and where local (Japanese, etc) brands have a much bigger foothold. Even a country like Indonesia, for instance, has started to market quality locally made premium/selvage products through brands like Old Blue.

Fact of the matter is, though it inspires a lot of brand loyalty, their very name is an Achilles heel, i.e. forever associated with (working class) blue jeans. They made many attempts to diversify primarily in the 80s but at the expense of core products. Also women's wear has never historically been a strong focus and not a market they've been traditionally identified with, coupled with competition from the likes of 7 For All Mankind and their ilk. Now that is one huge market.

Edited by Lex2

Levi has seemed to struggle with the LVC brand since it was created. They don't know what to do with it. It's not surprising that a large, global company has problems dealing with a product that is based on quality, heritage and strict attention to details.

Well, if it would help, I am saying here and now that I would gladly offer my services to Levi in order to help LVC transition to its new position within the company.

All I ask is for a reasonable salary, moving expenses and a nice place to live close to the Battery St. HQ.

Edited by Shorty Long

Levi has seemed to struggle with the LVC brand since it was created. They don't know what to do with it. It's not surprising that a large, global company has problems dealing with a product that is based on quality, heritage and strict attention to details.

Well, if it would help, I am saying here and now that I would gladly offer my services to Levi in order to help LVC transition to its new position within Levi.

All I ask is for a reasonable salary, moving expenses and a nice place to live close to the Battery St. HQ.

Ha! I'd be willing to do the same for LVC!

I've never thought LVC was exactly rocket science. You know you're going to have at least one raw 501 from the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. Then you throw in something a little different each season from before the 1930s. Do a couple washes for the the various 501s. Then you go through the archive and start looking for shirts, sweaters, jackets, etc, that you'd want to wear and you think others would too, and then ya make 'em. Designers already did the work for you 40 to 120 years ago. Now you just figure out what's cool and marketable, and you get it made (which is probably the toughest part of the whole process, getting materials reproduced correctly).

There are probably many skills, artisanal touches, and recipes for making things (like the correct recipes for mixing up natural and synthetic indigo) that are very hard to recreate or reverse engineer — given that the skilled craftsmen who had this knowledge are probably mostly no longer with us.

LVC have done a remarkable job with this recreation, and the worry is that some of that some of this knowledge may now be lost for a second time.

Edit: I suppose I'm late to this news but I just noticed that the 1915 is also no longer available. It's not on the LVC website.

Edited by Madder_Lake

There are probably many skills, artisanal touches, and recipes for making things (like the correct recipes for mixing up natural and synthetic indigo) that are very hard to recreate or reverse engineer — given that the skilled craftsmen who had this knowledge are probably mostly no longer with us.

LVC have done a remarkable job with this recreation, and the worry is that some of that some of this knowledge may now be lost for a second time.

Edit: I suppose I'm late to this news but I just noticed that the 1915 is also no longer available. It's not on the LVC website.

Replaced by the 1922 - basically a 1915 with belt loops

May as well xpost final contest pics as well. I wish more results would come in!

1944s

lvcfinalfsm.jpg

lvcfinalbsm.jpg

lvcfinalrsm.jpg

lvcfinallsm.jpg

lvcfinalfitsm.jpg

extra pic of the lap

lvcfinalpatchsm.jpg

i want to throw out a request, in light of the lvc discontinuations. if anyone has a 1983 available with a 38 waist (or a lead on one), please let me know.

Edited by jyoni

the way I see it..Levi's is capitalizing on the recent (ok not so recent) trend of artisan/bespoke/small-batch/heritage inspired garments (this pertains to almost everything nowadays, it's huge) by taking LVC to the mass market. Chances are quality and accuracy will plummet and we will all be talking about "back when LVC was good"

speaking of which, someone buy my 37's (30x32)!!

Edited by GregoryH

Sports-tog jacket I bought from roy6.

It is just a bit small, but the color is great.

Because is cut very trim, it seems to work better with a dress shirt than a work shirt.

sporttog.jpg

Looks great! I think this is a little better slightly down-sized, so as to cut down on the voluminous seat area.

May as well xpost final contest pics as well. I wish more results would come in!

1944s

lvcfinalfsm.jpg

Brilliant! Giving setter man a run for the money,

Chances are quality and accuracy will plummet and we will all be talking about "back when LVC was good"

I think that it will always be possible to produce a raw denim pant with the contractors they have now in the US. And I also think and hope that enough people know what 47 for instance should look and feel like. If Levi's could make LVC a profitable brand it also could be good news for us as we would be able to get another pair in the future. But I have to admit that much of this is what I am hoping.

Hi there, I am considering buying a pair of Levis Vintage 1947 501xx STF Jeans and would appreciate advise on which size to buy and the best way to wash them. My measurements are 30 - 31" Waist and 30" Inseam. I am considering buying size 32W 32L but I have read that the length can shrink by up to 3 inches which would make them 29" and too short. Is it possible that I could get a 30" inseam if I cold rinsed them? Also what is the best way to shrink to fit?

Thank you

Replaced by the 1922 - basically a 1915 with belt loops

I've just copped a pair of 1915's so I'm not in the market, but I wonder when these will show up on Cultizm. (If the only change is belt loops then I'm all for them.)

Hi there, I am considering buying a pair of Levis Vintage 1947 501xx STF Jeans and would appreciate advise on which size to buy and the best way to wash them. My measurements are 30 - 31" Waist and 30" Inseam. I am considering buying size 32W 32L but I have read that the length can shrink by up to 3 inches which would make them 29" and too short. Is it possible that I could get a 30" inseam if I cold rinsed them? Also what is the best way to shrink to fit?

Thank you

I think with smaller sizes like yours the prediction is for only 2" of shrinkage in the leg.

^ Go to http://loomstate.co.uk/ and click on the link on how to size LVC 1947.

Don't believe anything on that site. It is haphazardly written (at best), full of inconsistencies, and nothing but lies. The writer is a fraud and horrible person.