Levi's Vintage Clothing

ShortyLong- yeah, they have the henley at the Union Square shop.

entertainment!- do you think he has on two pairs of jeans? My best guess after looking at the photo for a while was that he was wearing a pair of 1870-1880s Levi's, the henley, and either some type of tight fitting undershirt or longjohn. At first I thought he had on a bead choker, but on a closer look I thought maybe it was a high-buttoned neckpiece of a shirt or the top of a longjohns. Doesn't really look like he has on anything heavy under the henley from the way it hangs...

And thank you all for indulging and even encouraging my insanity.

I am pretty sure that he is wearing two pairs of jeans. I just looked in the "This is a pair of Levi's Jeans" book which has a large reproduction of the photograph on page 15. It definitely looks like there are two waist bands, one over the other. The inner one has a suspender button just above the suspender button on the outside pair. The most logical explanation is that he is wearing two pairs of waist overalls or a pair of waist overalls over another pair of pants with suspender buttons.

When I first noticed this, I emailed Lynn Downey. She also believes that he is wearing a pair of waist overalls over another pair of pants. She said that she uses the Yuma Indian photograph to illustrate the concept of waist overalls, i.e., that waist overalls were meant to be worn over another pair of paints to protect them from damage.

In any case, roy6, your recreation is fantastic.

Are you asking why the weight of the fabric increases after a wash?

If so, I believe the explanation is that the fabric, having shrunk as a result of being washed, becomes more dense. Therefore, the weight per square yard goes up.

Yep, and I know I always assumed that the yarns in a garment where twisting and tightening when they shrunk, and being put under more tension, but according to this they're already stretched and they shrink or contract back when the combination of soap, water, and agitation lets them relax.

http://www.sanforized.biz/e_what.htm

"WHAT CAUSES SHRINKAGE?

During spinning, weaving, bleaching, dyeing and the various finishing processes, yarns and cloth are under a continuous tension.

Yarns and/or fabrics are not fixed materials. They consist of separate, stretchable fibers which submit to the tension. In other words, fabrics do stretch in length and width. The tension within the yarns, which is caused by this stretching, can be eliminated when the friction within the fabric is reduced. This reduction in friction occurs during laundering where both water and soap act as a lubricant. The lubricant, along with the mechanical action of the washer, helps the fibers relax and contract to their original length before the elongation takes place. This means that the fabric shrinks and recaptures its original equilibrium."

yumaindianneck.jpg

So what's going on there? A high buttoned undershirt in a polka dot? A scarf with something which just looks like a button attached to it? An old west dickie?

oh yeah...what's the cost of the "Native American" henley at the SF store?

$125.

I saw that the other day, and the first thing I thought is "That isn't going to sell."

Really a poor wash, and you can find practically new surperiorly washed early models on the bay for less than $100.

But maybe its worth an extra $600+ for some people to have this season?

I think its something layered under the henley, maybe a scarf? It seems seperate from the kerchief. I sort of thought it was beaded in the smaller pictures. Native Americans wore a ton of bone/beaded stuff, maybe its jewelry of some kind?

Anyhow couldn't rep roy6, really good solid fit though. Where to kop bow and arrow?

man, I bet that guy never thought he'd have his wardrobe dissected 100 + years after wearing it...

Yeah, right. Hombre was pre-fashionista. Putting down steez for the motherland.