Levi's Vintage Clothing

^Good to know...I think I sized up one or two on my 517's which accounts for the percieved higher rise...I always see LVC 505's on sale at Barney's for around $90 USD, I'll have to pick a pair up the next time around...

90$ you say? Would you be interested in proxy-ing a poor midwesterner a pair should they turn up again?

sheeshhh. I am glad mine went to a good home. 700 + seems steep for little e to me.

So I just won those 1963 551z. Only a bit worried about the waist but hopefully it works out. Excited to have a pair of 555s with older denim. Could anyone tell me what the 551 means? I know it has a zipper and kinda straight tapered leg, just didn't know if it was based off the 501 or not. I was just about to get a pair of 66s too.

i love the look of the loons, except they look enormous in the arse. no-one seems to have posted fit pics here yet, so i'm not convinced they won't look ridiculous... otherwise, i'd be getting some...

They are very high waisted and trim. Trim through the seat, thighs and legs and again they are Japanese denim (mine have yet to hit water) but if they are like any of my other LVCs with Japanese denim there is very little shrinkage.

they look great on the hanger... any fit pics?

Fit for one is irrelevant to someone else. To many variables. Something that looks good on A doesn't on B. Some buy to large, some buy to small and then theres the whole STF thing, fit photos just aren't relevant. These are trim compared to other early years that LVC repros and high waisted.

Fit for one is irrelevant to someone else. To many variables. Something that looks good on A doesn't on B. Some buy to large, some buy to small and then theres the whole STF thing, fit photos just aren't relevant. These are trim compared to other early years that LVC repros and high waisted.

Yeah, but it's always nice to see them on a person, just for inspiration ;)

So I just won those 1963 551z. Only a bit worried about the waist but hopefully it works out. Excited to have a pair of 555s with older denim. Could anyone tell me what the 551 means? I know it has a zipper and kinda straight tapered leg, just didn't know if it was based off the 501 or not. I was just about to get a pair of 66s too.

Sanforized, zip fly, and from what I've seen very similar in cut to the 50s 501. Don't know that there's and significance to the number 551, just a lot number they assigned to that model. Pretty sure that number was reused 30 years later for a lady's version of the 550.

just to add to setterman's very able description. historically they were levis 2nd attempt at a zip fly pair of jeans to compete against the already successful Lee 101z. their first attempt was the stf 501z which had a lot of customer complaints due to shrinkage buckling the zipper tape and causing snags. with the 551 they rightly got they'd need sanforized denim which lee had used all along on the 101z. the 551 later evolved into the 505. in real vintage and repro the 551 is kind of scarce because neither were made long. the LVC 551 is highly desirable being 555, very dark thick denim, nice details like an offset belt loop, and a very everyday modern type of cut/fit. and they are pretty rare. i have always wanted a pair, but never got any. these are great jeans and IMO some of the best LVC out there, enjoy them!

one other thing i believe the 551 were among the first LVC releases: the 37 201, the 55 501 and the 63 551zxx. i'm going from memory perhaps PaulT, Dr Heech or Roy6 could verify my statement. i'm pretty sure they date from approx 1996-97.

^Yes, those three were the first LVC models, the only ones from 1996 to very late 1998.

afusmc, the buttons you put on the pantaloons look perfect. What are they?

The suspender buttons? I took those off my 1880s (only had 4, lost 2 ) and the back two are some old metal buttons I had found at an antique store.

bit of an idiotic question- bear with me - but what's the best process for this? bought two replacement buckles for a pair of first blue jeans and 1933s - do i stitch the denim back once i reinsert the buckle or glue it? havent a wit what to do. thanks gents as always

bit of an idiotic question- bear with me - but what's the best process for this? bought two replacement buckles for a pair of first blue jeans and 1933s - do i stitch the denim back once i reinsert the buckle or glue it? havent a wit what to do. thanks gents as always

definately machine stitch it back. i would pay a seamstress to do it and follow the original stitching. i doubt glue would work and it wouldn't look good anyway.

That's because oki-ni and ln-cc use those poor stick figure models that look like they've been starved for months before taking the photos. The Cultizm one isn't a whole lot better and lord knows most white guys have got no ass but those two are the extreme.

airfrog, how much did your loons shrank?

considering either the loons or the 1915s cone mills...

I wear'm raw for a long time before they hit water but if they are anything like my other Japanese denim LVCs there is not a lot of shrinkage. Nothing like the way the Cone denim models shrink.

has anyone purchased a 1915s from the current batch ( i know it's a different batch because the sizing is more accurate than the one i bought sometime back)?

any improvement in the back-cinch buckle?

Yep, I bought a pair. I hadn't actually read all the talk here about buckles before I bought them, and I was stunned at how duff the buckle was. I cut the bar off to file it to points, and it disintegrated. Complete cack. I was going to make one myself out of silver, but in the end I used a pair of jeweller's pliers to bodge the existing one so the pins can no longer come out. But seriously, what a piece of cack.

But... dear Lord, the denim. When I soaked them and pulled them out of the water, the fabric was literally sticky with indigo, which came off all over my hands. I've not seen anything like it from any other LVC denim, nor from any Japanese repros. It was uncanny. But I guess you all know this already...

Yes the 1915 buckles do suck. If you're in NYC stop by the LVC Meat Packing store. They have a supply of decent replacement buckles.

Yep, I bought a pair. I hadn't actually read all the talk here about buckles before I bought them, and I was stunned at how duff the buckle was. I cut the bar off to file it to points, and it disintegrated. Complete cack. I was going to make one myself out of silver, but in the end I used a pair of jeweller's pliers to bodge the existing one so the pins can no longer come out. But seriously, what a piece of cack.

But... dear Lord, the denim. When I soaked them and pulled them out of the water, the fabric was literally sticky with indigo, which came off all over my hands. I've not seen anything like it from any other LVC denim, nor from any Japanese repros. It was uncanny. But I guess you all know this already...

Yes the 1915 buckles do suck. If you're in NYC stop by the LVC Meat Packing store. They have a supply of decent replacement buckles.

Or take the buckle apart and replace the pins by a piece of bicycle spoke shaped to fit.