Levi's Vintage Clothing

I personally believe US market demand for expensive Levi's denim, even at the peak of raw/heritage/... craze, is not great enough that LVC should fear over-exposure or market saturation. As opposed to Japan or Europe, LVC is sought after by a small number of people here in the states. However, they are wiling to pay extra for better quality. I simply think it is asinine to deprive these people of information - simple information that would make the buying process less cumbersome. And perhaps, if the right information is presented and promoted, that small number of consumers will grow and make LVC profitable.

Perfectly put. I've put what I think are the most important points in bold. I don't buy LVC for mystique, image, poetry, or the old west. I like 30s through 60s stuff (music, clothing, cars, etc.), and don't need to play hide and seek to find clothing that fits my taste.

@hollowsleather

I agree to the extend that Levi's, like many other clothing company, cultivates an image or lifestyle as part of their "look." However, I respectfully disagree that LVC's anti-marketing serves the purpose of legitimizing or promoting the historical nostalgia of Levi's. I think the obscurity of LVC prevents the consumer from appreciating the historical context that LVC should provide for Levi's. The reality is most people, including most Levi's wearers, are not aware of LVC's existence. Instead, a website and real tangible marketing of LVC, even if only a small online one, could promote all the romantic history and quality behind Levi's.

^thx for the rep

As a resident of the USA, I'd just like to be able to go online and purchase these "Made in the USA" jeans from the USA, instead of having to buy them from Germany or UK, or wherever else. :) Would just make things a little easier (though I guess I really do enjoy having to search for hours to find every possible LVC dealer online, only to find none of them have my size). ;) I know there are some online dealers from US, just seems hard to find anything above a 34 inseam from any of them.

That being said, just got my first pair of 1944 501's from cultizm today. Great service there! Sadly, they're too large, so back they will go.

Hmm, I think I was maybe unclear.

I meant that LVC legitimizes the imagery that they like to use in their overall marketing. They can point to it and say "look here, we're practicing what we preach. Classic styles, US made, just like the old days, when men were real men, etc."

I think they know that LVC won't amount to a significant percentage of their sales, no matter how accessible or well-marketed it is. And I think they know that the people who really want it will deal with the hassle and get it anyway. And they definitely know that making it hard to get will amp up the cult appeal factor, which is a nice bonus.

They probably make more money off of people who become enamored with the idea of LVC, and really want it but refuse to pay $200, and then go buy a few STFs or 511s, than they actually do from selling the LVC line.

I don't particularly like it as a customer, but (I think) I get why they're doing it, and it's cleverly done.

@hollowsleather

I agree to the extend that Levi's, like many other clothing company, cultivates an image or lifestyle as part of their "look." However, I respectfully disagree that LVC's anti-marketing serves the purpose of legitimizing or promoting the historical nostalgia of Levi's. I think the obscurity of LVC prevents the consumer from appreciating the historical context that LVC should provide for Levi's. The reality is most people, including most Levi's wearers, are not aware of LVC's existence. Instead, a website and real tangible marketing of LVC, even if only a small online one, could promote all the romantic history and quality behind Levi's.

^thx for the rep

True. On the rare occasions anyone, even fashiony people, have asked me what a LVC piece I was wearing was and I cursorily explained it, I've gotten a blank stare.

Here's some pics of some late 1800 jeans from Mike Harris's collection. the oldest denim Levi's (1873) is to the far right in the 1st pic below.

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

and Here's me holding the oldest pair which I posted in the WAYWT thread

d9679ce9.jpg

shortly before that photo was taken, Farhad laid his cuban down on the right leg and burned a massive hole thru it. repairs are underway as you can see. Dayumm Bro! Cubans and historic denimz! u got the life! well, i got a kiss from a 100 year old woman yesterday. not everyday that happens. . . :)

Awesome pictures. One thing I noticed - what were the arcs made of back then? :eek: These were worn by miners that actually mined stuff, eventually torn up, exposed to the elements for 100+ years, and yet the arcs have held up better than most 1 year old Flathead arcs. Now those were some serious construction.

they were cotton thread but my guess is that we sit on our A$$es and these guys were working and didn't get to sit down much. sitting down is what tears those arcs right off is what I'm thinking.

they were cotton thread but my guess is that we sit on our A$$es and these guys were working and didn't get to sit down much. sitting down is what tears those arcs right off is what I'm thinking.

Yeah, doesn't look like any of those pairs have much in the way of ass fades. Probably were worn by someone who was on their feet most of the day.

Not entirely germaine to the conversation, but I'm making a trip to San Francisco next week and am wondering if there is anything to stop for at the Levi's headquarters? Little museum? Shop? Or is it just offices?

i'm going there at the end of june and would like to check this out as well. IIRC there is some sort of flagship store with LVC stuff.

^There is a very small museum that has a few cool pieces on display but only takes about 10-15 minutes to look at. There is also a small store but it does not carry any LVC.

The Union Square Flagship Store has a small area downstairs that houses some LVC but not as much as you would hope.

Great photos, Farhad.

Any detail pics of the 1873 please? Gorgeous colors on all of them, but that pair in particular are beauties. very green, but a lot of color still left in the recesses.

Thanks Paul and everyone. I did take photos with my camera but I can't post those until they get published in inventory. Appologies for the tease amigo and I agree that LVC comes pretty close. Miles Johnson came from a movie background where he was dealing with costumes and making them period correct. He's doing pretty awesome and so his the rest of the team.

Yeah, doesn't look like any of those pairs have much in the way of ass fades. Probably were worn by someone who was on their feet most of the day.

since they're "waist overalls", I guess they wear those on top of their clothes and take them off right after they're done with it.

All of these pants came from well established mines that had large bodies of silver ore(these miners were standing most of the time.) I think ass fades would come into play, when a mine had small veins of silver ore, the kind of mine you have to crawl through.

That is the Indigo Immortal, one of the Bart Sights washes - they were the laundry for upmarket LVC around 2001-2003. THe Nevada jeans, from the year before, were maybe even better. Sadly they've gone bust. I know LVC had high hopes for a new lab that was working on washes, the prototypes looked great, but the production version of, I think either Barnyard or Spurbites, was relatively disappointing.

That's as close to the real thing as your going to get. You could have fooled me.

One of the best looking pair of pre-distressed jeans I've ever seen. Only other washes I've seen that rival it are some of the stuff coming out of the Warehouse family.