Levi's Vintage Clothing

You remember that they'll keep shrinking for the next 10 wet to dry cycles?

I know that number is mentioned here regularly, but that hasn't been my experience with any of my pairs of LVC jeans. My first soak is a trip through the washing machine, and there is no noticable shrinkage with any further washes. They shrink back from where they stretched out to, but they don't shrink to smaller than they were after that initial wash.

Hopefully denimjunky got all the shrink outta his '47s, and they're as small as they're going to get!

I know that number is mentioned here regularly, but that hasn't been my experience with any of my pairs of LVC jeans. My first soak is a trip through the washing machine, and there is no noticable shrinkage with any further washes. They shrink back from where they stretched out to, but they don't shrink to smaller than they were after that initial wash.

Hopefully denimjunky got all the shrink outta his '47s, and they're as small as they're going to get!

I agree with you about the 10 cycles setterman. I seem to recall that airfrog stated it initially and now Dr house quotes it regularly. It's certainly not representative of my experience with raw denim.

I agree with you about the 10 cycles setterman. I seem to recall that airfrog stated it initially and now Dr house quotes it regularly. It's certainly not representative of my experience with raw denim.

My experience with most of my dry denims if you doesn't wash cold consistently, LVC or others. My 47's shrank from 33.5 to 30 within 6 washes (but they stretch back to a snug 32, true, even if it hurts). But there's no way to stretch too tight thighs imo.

The source of that wisdom, whether or not it is true, is the booklet that used to come with LVC: "The jeans will shrink over the course of the first three washes. This will continue, if only slightly, until the tenth wash."

Forget soaking; I usually do an initial 60c machine wash followed by 40c machine washes. I find that the waist shrinkage is accounted for in the first wash and thereafter stretches and shrinks back to that poat-wash size. Inseam shrinks mainly on the first wash with a little further on the second wash and maybe a negligible amount on the third.

Temperature of wash and hand v machine method may be key variables in all of this.

These days I avoid any pair that I know will require serious stretching in the waist following full shrinkage. Imo, the '47s aren't that slim. I've had 3-4 pairs over the past 4-5 years, and usually sized down on them. The most recent pair I picked up was a size 38, and fits exceedingly well.

But I agree that shrinkage will be negligible after a hot soak and a warm wash. It may take longer with cold soaks, so I always advocate giving them a couple hot treatments.

my experience with lvc and i've had over 20 pairs of various models is this: as long as you're in the ballpark raw you can get them to fit depending on how you handle them. i've got several methods depending on how they fit to begin with and they eventually fit correctly after i get the shrinkage out. the one thing i cannot work with is if they're too big in the waist. i've never had any shrink more than about an inch and i have ruined pairs boiling them trying to shrink them down and had others that would fit ok after a hot wash/soak and then slip off my hips once they stretched out and proved unworkable. now i sell right away if they seem big in the waist. i recently bought a pair of 646's on a lark, they were size 38 waist and measured 40! inexcusable in a sanforized jean. i sold them for a loss and never tried to wash them as i learned by bitter experience you can't fix too big.

Forget soaking; I usually do an initial 60c machine wash followed by 40c machine washes. I find that the waist shrinkage is accounted for in the first wash and thereafter stretches and shrinks back to that poat-wash size. Inseam shrinks mainly on the first wash with a little further on the second wash and maybe a negligible amount on the third.

Temperature of wash and hand v machine method may be key variables in all of this.

Yeah, same here, I always do the initial soak in the machine (except my ROYs) without or only slow spin cycling and of course no detergent, temperature depends on the desired shrinkage. You'll get most shrinkage out due to the rotation, but (after my experiences) most pairs still shrink a bit more with future washes.

my experience with lvc and i've had over 20 pairs of various models is this: as long as you're in the ballpark raw you can get them to fit depending on how you handle them. i've got several methods depending on how they fit to begin with and they eventually fit correctly after i get the shrinkage out. the one thing i cannot work with is if they're too big in the waist. i've never had any shrink more than about an inch and i have ruined pairs boiling them trying to shrink them down and had others that would fit ok after a hot wash/soak and then slip off my hips once they stretched out and proved unworkable. now i sell right away if they seem big in the waist. i recently bought a pair of 646's on a lark, they were size 38 waist and measured 40! inexcusable in a sanforized jean. i sold them for a loss and never tried to wash them as i learned by bitter experience you can't fix too big.

I could not agree more. Had my share of frustration managing LVC waist sizing before.

What is the best way to store denim? I've been opposed to folding jeans for years. So I hang them with the waistband straight across. (not trouser style with the intention of keeping a firm crease down the center of the leg.) I want no creases from hanging or folding.

My issue is that while I hang my up with the waist band straight across, they sometimes get creases an inch behind the outseam, that is almost parallel to the outseam. My Levi's LVLC 1944's have a really bad set in crease that I've tried ironing, and steaming out. I'm going to try and iron it again, and if that doesn't work I'm taking it to the dry cleaners.

Anyone have any advice? I hate seeing nice denim with creases from it being folded or hung. I mean, I wear them all the time, but 2-3 pairs have these horrible creases and it bothers me.

Just curious if anyone has any feedback. Sorry for such a boring subject matter.

Thanks

What is the best way to store denim? I've been opposed to folding jeans for years. So I hang them with the waistband straight across. (not trouser style with the intention of keeping a firm crease down the center of the leg.) I want no creases from hanging or folding.

My issue is that while I hang my up with the waist band straight across, they sometimes get creases an inch behind the outseam, that is almost parallel to the outseam. My Levi's LVLC 1944's have a really bad set in crease that I've tried ironing, and steaming out. I'm going to try and iron it again, and if that doesn't work I'm taking it to the dry cleaners.

Anyone have any advice? I hate seeing nice denim with creases from it being folded or hung. I mean, I wear them all the time, but 2-3 pairs have these horrible creases and it bothers me.

Just curious if anyone has any feedback. Sorry for such a boring subject matter.

Thanks

If you're worried about outseam creases try hanging with a hook on the back belt loop.

That Type II looks like it had the sleeves shortened to me. The cuff is REALLY close to the rivet on the wrist. One of the pictures, it looks like the reattaching of the cuff was somewhat sloppy. Or is this just me? The last picture shows what I'm talking about on the left cuff.

I stopped into the Levis flagship store and took a look at the new LVC leather jacket:

5460287821_d55e07e02d_o.jpg

5460893280_4619b31a1b_b.jpg

Honestly, it looks better in pictures than it does in real life. It's cut very high in the back, almost double-breasted in the front, as it has a lot of overlap and buttons to one side. Looks and feels like thin goatskin. Color and distressing are not all they could be. Price tag was about $1000.

Overall impression: meh.

The medium was a perfect size 40" chest.