Levi's Vintage Clothing

yeah 555 lvc holds some relevance to me also. although i won't pay a fortune for them. i have the 20's 201, the 37 201 and a 506 jacket, but sadly no 55 or 551zxx . i've tried to get them but sellers want a fortune, maybe one day i'll get lucky like with my 20's 201's. paid $50 for them in one soak condition, just dumb luck.

Is it acceptable to complain about/make fun of Bay vendors here?

My least favorite vendors dealing in LVC (at least partially):

3- the English lady that models all of the clothes herself, jackets down off her shoulders and unbuttoned to the waist, and wears nothing underneath but tarty, '80s looking lingerie. How are you suppose to tell how anything will fit, or even what it actually is?

Jeez lady, I'm buying stuff for myself, not for the cast of Benny Hill.

2- The Canadian person, "Oldladyclassics" or something, who prices everything at about twice what they were new and about 400% what they usually go for at Bay auction.

1- The Arizona seller who prices everything about two-three times what they were retail, and doesn't even bother to put up any pictures except one closeup of the tag! For instance, he has up a LVC '40s shorthorn shirt for, get this, $499! Probably went for around $150 originally.

Is this hyper-pricing because of the recent price hikes and because now there are flippers buying stuff at the Barney's sales and turning it around on the Bay?

Haha... I actually bought a Sugarcane shirt from olddayclassics (ie. http://shop.ebay.com/olddaysclassics/m.html).

He mailed it a week late and it arrived past the estimated time-frame, but I'm pretty sure the seller is just a kid/teenager. For one thing, his handwriting for my address was super-sloppy.

His items are overpriced and I'm pretty sure I've seen some items on eBay before and later appear on his eBay account with a Buy-it-now inflation rate... :rolleyes:

I don't know the 551ZXX. What are they? Early sanforized 501's? How do they compare to the 501ZXX and the 505?

the 551 came between those--early 60's time frame. unlike the 501zxx they were sanforized and they differ from the 505 being fuller cut and having hidden rivets and a few odd details.

Guest redchris
I have a couple of pairs of 551ZXX (one BNWT, the other in two wash) - love 'em, but would not part with them for double what they're 'worth', as they will never be made at a 100 year old historical Levis factory.

A fact, that for me personally, has an added resonance.

I am probably one of the few on this board who feels that way about stuff made at the Valencia street factory.

@colgems - I agree with you on the 33's, the arcs are more true to originals, whereas the 37's arcs are a poor representation IMO.

I agree, the Valencia st stuff is special, how stupid were they to kill that golden goose?

Guest redchris
Is it acceptable to complain about/make fun of Bay vendors here?

My least favorite vendors dealing in LVC (at least partially):

3- the English lady that models all of the clothes herself, jackets down off her shoulders and unbuttoned to the waist, and wears nothing underneath but tarty, '80s looking lingerie. How are you suppose to tell how anything will fit, or even what it actually is?

Jeez lady, I'm buying stuff for myself, not for the cast of Benny Hill.

2- The Canadian person, "Oldladyclassics" or something, who prices everything at about twice what they were new and about 400% what they usually go for at Bay auction.

1- The Arizona seller who prices everything about two-three times what they were retail, and doesn't even bother to put up any pictures except one closeup of the tag! For instance, he has up a LVC '40s shorthorn shirt for, get this, $499! Probably went for around $150 originally.

Is this hyper-pricing because of the recent price hikes and because now there are flippers buying stuff at the Barney's sales and turning it around on the Bay?

Heh, heh,nice one mate, the "English" lady is actually in scotland. I am sure she must get off on that, or maybe some saddoes pay more for it?

Yeah, I have a Type 1 jacket that was probably a prototype (it's completely devoid of inside labeling) that was made at the Valencia St. factory, which was just down the street from my house. I got it from roy6 and it is one of may most favorite things. It took years to find a piece from there and I'm always on the hunt for more, it definitely holds some extra mojo for me at least.

I agree, the Valencia st stuff is special, how stupid were they to kill that golden goose?

well that's one of my gripes with levis. don't get me wrong i love levis i've been wearing them my whole life, but i don't understand their decisions. many are short sighted and smack of immediate gratification. whatever they got moneywise for valencia st. was lost ten-fold in heritage, authenticity and intellectual property. bad enough that they closed all their u.s. plants they then fold the last remaining link, which they should have guarded as the endangered species it ultimately was.

I don't know the 551ZXX. What are they? Early sanforized 501's? How do they compare to the 501ZXX and the 505?

They have an interesting fit- kind of fitted at the topblock but tapper out at the thighs, I think more than a '55, but I could be wrong there. I have some flat pictures, Dr_Heech has some of him wearing his pair, which fit quite well.

5141397459_82853fc168_b.jpg

5142002618_eea4b96556_b.jpg

i really like that offset beltloop. too bad they don't do it on the current 55'.

No kidding, nice simple little detail they should be doing.

Thanks for posting the pix of the 551Zs Roy. Now I want a pair even worse than before!

Hi everyone!

My collection of LVC jeans consists of next items:

1870 stf, 1873 stf, 1890 501, 1915 501 stf, 1917 501 stf, 1920 chino, 1933 501, 1937 501, 1937 501 stf, 1947 501 stf, 1955 501 with low waist from Japan, 1955 501 customized (2 same items), 1966 501 customized, 1967 505 (4170 on top button), 1967 505 (33M on top button), 1960s 607 orange tab jeans

i am sorry but i cant add images yet

yeah some people(see beautifuwhatever) live to negative rep people.

While dimas' post could use some photos, it certainly didn't deserve a negative rep. Some people apparently feel better about themselves by negative reppin others.

I'd advise to just keep it movin...

(waits for b_f to neg rep me...lol)

Indeed, it's just plain sad...

Here's my list:

1880 stf

1901 stf

1917 stf

1927 distressed

1933 distressed

1937 stf

1947 stf

1955 stf & distressed