Levi's Vintage Clothing

Only the raw jeans are made in the US, except for the 505, as mentioned, which is made in Turkey. Jackets are at present made in TUrkey, altho bit by bit they're trying to move more production to the US.

I believe one problem in doing so is that they have more control in Turkey - I think it's a full-on Levi's-owned factory, whereas in the US it's contractos, maybe Caitech. Only (some) washed products use denim other than Cone, Kaihara, or Kurabo.

Yeah, okay, but do you remember the 20's model we were talking about? Dry but also made in turkey (maybe an older stock).

They look pretty good - back pocket looks pretty accurate, leather patch, too? Surely that's going to make it a lot harder for the XX division.

Yeah, okay, but do you remember the 20's model we were talking about? Dry but also made in turkey (maybe an older stock).

Which 20s model? THe LVC 201 was made in the US. Some of the duck pants have been made in Turkey, altho I get the impression they're moving more pants to the US, especally ones made with Cone fabric - as do the STF jackets.

^I'm pretty sure I saw a type II, but it could have been a prototype. They had some interesting stuff hanging on the wall that wasn't for sale.

Speaking of which, I stopped into the flagship store this week and one of the guys told me the tailor's shop should be doing the custom blanket-lining fairly soon, but pricing wasn't worked out yet.

He also said they'd work on any Levi's product, current, vintage or LVC.

The type I that I saw was $350. I doubt the type II would be cheaper. That's pretty steep.

Those repros that oi polloi is selling make sense of the stamps that LVC is putting on the pocket bags. There had to be a simple way to distinguish the two lines.

$350?? holy crap. definitely wont be getting one if thats the case.

that stamp business does make sense. too bad they put it on the wrong line...seeing as how LVC is supposed to be the "exact" repros...

those jeans at oi polloi are nothing new. they have been popping up on ebay for a year. they're selvage and roughly the same fit as the yr. they try to imitate but that's all. look at the post 84' bar-tacks, little e, modern 501 patch etc... plus i think they're made in mexico. all you're really getting above a standard 501 is the selvage denim and the pattern which costs levis nothing extra to cut differently. not such a bargain to me.

Which 20s model? THe LVC 201 was made in the US. Some of the duck pants have been made in Turkey, altho I get the impression they're moving more pants to the US, especally ones made with Cone fabric - as do the STF jackets.

Sorry, I've mixed it up. We were talking about some LVC 1901 (made in turkey, but rigid).

those jeans at oi polloi are nothing new. they have been popping up on ebay for a year. they're selvage and roughly the same fit as the yr. they try to imitate but that's all. look at the post 84' bar-tacks, little e, modern 501 patch etc... plus i think they're made in mexico. all you're really getting above a standard 501 is the selvage denim and the pattern which costs levis nothing extra to cut differently. not such a bargain to me.

I've seen the previous LTD Edition made in mexico selvage - these do look significantly better in terms of the cut but, you're right, of course constructionally they're nowhere near the LVC. If you look where the two lines of yoke stitching meet, there's no offset, or stagger, as there should be. It's just... the wrong way to make a 501.

I was having a conversation with Roy Slaper - Levi's are the only jeans he really knows or is influenced by. But he was saying that, as the factories are arranged, no-one at Levi's makes jeans. In the old days you had the Valencia Street foreman, or the people at San Antonio, and they had physcially sewn a pair of jeans together. No-one on the company staff does. It's all out-sourced. It's a piece of collective knowledge they've all owned that they've lost. I'm starting to think that closing Valencia Street was as significant part of the loss of their heritage as scrapping the shuttle looms. People these days cares where stuff is sourced, whether it's made with integrity. It's a crime they couldn't keep one small factory open.

Sorry, I've mixed it up. We were talking about some LVC 1901 (made in turkey, but rigid).

I didn't know that, I've only seen made in USA ones, certainly the last year or so are made there.

At a friend's. Got no ROYs and no mirror, but I got a new belt and new-ish LVC shirt. 1955, and I been playing a steel guitar.

guitar.jpg

I got a pair of 1917's and 55's last week at a local sale... not sure of the production year, is there a way to tell? they came with the cloth dust bag, not sure if that is still standard.. anyways i also know nothing about soaks and whatnot, i got em both true to waist size, so i'm thinking just rocking them hard for at least 6 months.. maybe a year lol..

Guest redchris

"I've seen the previous LTD Edition made in mexico selvage - these do look significantly better in terms of the cut but, you're right, of course constructionally they're nowhere near the LVC. If you look where the two lines of yoke stitching meet, there's no offset, or stagger, as there should be. It's just... the wrong way to make a 501.

I was having a conversation with Roy Slaper - Levi's are the only jeans he really knows or is influenced by. But he was saying that, as the factories are arranged, no-one at Levi's makes jeans. In the old days you had the Valencia Street foreman, or the people at San Antonio, and they had physcially sewn a pair of jeans together. No-one on the company staff does. It's all out-sourced. It's a piece of collective knowledge they've all owned that they've lost. I'm starting to think that closing Valencia Street was as significant part of the loss of their heritage as scrapping the shuttle looms. People these days cares where stuff is sourced, whether it's made with integrity. It's a crime they couldn't keep one small factory open. "

go Paul. I posted exactly the same sentiments on this thread a few months ago.

Levi's dont give a fuck about their heritage other than a marketing tool to sell more jeans.

lVc was only started inthe '90's cos they were getting caned (sorry) by Japanese repro.

the valencia st and 555 angle gave them unique "in" to the heritage market but the cluless wankers in charge managed to fuck even this up. just look at the prices valencia lvc' s fetch on ebay now.

Modern lvc's have no more heritage than a pair of "vintage" nike cortez made last week in china.

lvc todayhas no

Its funny how this came up and i was just thinking about it, as far as the "authentic'nes" of LVC, of course its watered down far from what it used to be.... for me its strictly the fact that they are made from Cone denim. in fact i may be unbranding my 55 501's this weekend....

i lost my taste for the Jap stuff last year, and obviously Cone is king imo, so LVC is really the only chioce for vintage inspred jeans with authentic details and a wide array of fits.

Other brands that use Cone (eg: ROY, Left Field, Tellason, I+W, Raleigh) all use Cone but lack a more relavanent roomy fit. Basically everything else on the market that uses authentic Cone is tight! and dated!

So LVC is really the only option for a shrink to fit, authentic raw denim jean in a wide array of fits.... for that reason alone this tread is still alive.

as far as the fashionable predistressed stuff, the Free & Easy scene will always eat that up, no really our thing here in superdenim, but its not going anywhere overseas.

Basically everything else on the market that uses authentic Cone is tight! and dated!

thats a bold statement. While I do love me some Cone-denim LVC, and I've never had any Roy, Raleigh Denim, etc, I'm curious to know why you think/what you mean by "dated"

I do agree with you in regards to LVC making a variety of years, thus making a variety of fits using Cone denim makes the brand more versatile from that respect.

But I wouldn't say that a more fitted "tight" jean is dated, by any means. In fact, I believe the opposite. Clothes that fit the contour of your person is much more timeless, to me. Denim included.

by dated, all i mean is a tighter, even tapered slim cut. that was big in the mid/end of the last decade. unless ur asian slim (no offense) those brands can be very tight on the averange American man. my interpritation of current style, is def still well fitting, but alittle more room for the body parts that make us men....

edit: about a year ago i posted, somewhere "all i fuck with is Cone. i dont care who sews it!" very light hearted comment, but full of truth.

Okay, I feel you.

I'm not a fan of skinny super tight jeans. Nor do I think a baggy mid-90's fit looks good either. Both polar ends of the spectrum look rediculous, to me.

I prefer something in the middle. A nice clean fit. For my body type, the LVC 47 is perfect.

I guess this illustrates why LVC is so dope, because based on your height/weight/body type a different model might be better proportioned on you, than me.

Guest redchris
Its funny how this came up and i was just thinking about it, as far as the "authentic'nes" of LVC, of course its watered down far from what it used to be.... for me its strictly the fact that they are made from Cone denim. in fact i may be unbranding my 55 501's this weekend....

i lost my taste for the Jap stuff last year, and obviously Cone is king imo, so LVC is really the only chioce for vintage inspred jeans with authentic details and a wide array of fits.

Other brands that use Cone (eg: ROY, Left Field, Tellason, I+W, Raleigh) all use Cone but lack a more relavanent roomy fit. Basically everything else on the market that uses authentic Cone is tight! and dated!

So LVC is really the only option for a shrink to fit, authentic raw denim jean in a wide array of fits.... for that reason alone this tread is still alive.

as far as the fashionable predistressed stuff, the Free & Easy scene will always eat that up, no really our thing here in superdenim, but its not going anywhere overseas.

Mate, just wondering what you mean about losing your taste with Japanese denim?

Maldo, exactly the samething i was sayin homie :) some of those brands use beautiful denim but have no versitilly on cut, in fact they only offer one "slim straight" 47' influenced cut. one of the best cuts ever, if you have the figure ;)

edit: Chris thats a whole nother convo....

Maldo, exactly the samething i was sayin homie :) some of those brands use beautiful denim but have no versitilly on cut, in fact they only offer one "slim straight" 47' influenced cut. one of the best cuts ever, if you have the figure ;)

edit: Chris thats a whole nother convo....

I agree with Vin, and anyone else who shares this particular point of view. I used to really like samurai, flathead, et al., but my desire for a slightly roomier -- and in my opinion, more traditional -- fit led me away from them and to LVC/warehouse almost exclusively. One of the main issues i have with a lot of the Japanese stuff is what i perceive to be an out-of-whack rise/upper thigh ratio. For me, the lower rises featured on many of the Japanese cuts upset the overall aesthetic of the jean when worn. This isn't a problem if you're looking for a slim/modern fit, but it becomes an issue if you'd prefer a more classic look. About a year and a half ago i began going with LVC and warehouse exclusively out of an appreciation for the the way their stuff fits. After a while i started to notice that i no longer liked the sort of "artificial-looking" fades many of the Japanese brands yield (by "artificial-looking" i mean the typical flathead/pbj-type fades that bear no discernible resemblance to vintage denim.) To be clear, i think most of the jap denim is amazing, and can see why its so popular with people who enjoy this type of thing. I simply prefer the fading properties of cone denim (but confess a love of the LVC '67s, which aren't cone.) So, long story short, i moved away from much of the Japanese stuff in an effort to find a more traditional fit and wound up finding a much greater appreciation for the fading properties of cone denim.