Levi's Vintage Clothing

Guest Selvage Seb.

Lance, do you mind taking a fit-picture of this tee? really interested in this one

,Sebastian

Received the LEVIS natural indigo color t-shirt from Cultizm today and it's a perfect vintage look right out of the box - tough to capture it though.

002.jpg?t=1282774600

Guest redchris
If you take into account the fabric they're using, the new US version is better. I'm not convinced by all the LVC Japan raw denim. I think it's roy6 1930s pair on here that simply aren't wearing as well as the US version, even if some of the detailing is nicer. (And, incidentally, the recent detailing on the US models, red tags at least, has improved markedly).

I tried on a pair of the '44 Japanese yesterday. The denim seemed extraordinarily thin.

Valencia st. 555 1873 for sale :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220659297968&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX

I tried on a pair of the '44 Japanese yesterday. The denim seemed extraordinarily thin.

From my own experience LVC Japan 44's have slightly heavier and more hairy denim than US produced ones, and wear beautifully!

I've had mine for about two years and they are definately my best wearers.

Sorry to contradict, just my finding.

Took some pix of my cultizm contest '55 501s today. I'm guessing they've been worn 60% of the time since the begining of March, and I believe they've been washed six or seven times. Jeans are a little bit darker than they appear in the photos.

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

Very nice - the 'first blue jean' or '1873'. I think Cotton Duck has/had version of these, I had the natural indigo version, they're also very similar to the 1890s I wore this summer. They fade in beautifully, specially if you only give then a quick-ish cold soak to start off.

Open letter to Levis Strauss

As with many forums there are some commercial interests mingled with those of the aficionados, so I am writing this open letter to Levis Strauss or its agents here.

Levis is a brand we all admire. I have worn your products for over half a century. If I am writing this note it is out of fondness, a nudge from an old friend.

The LVC brand has set as one of its objectives the reproduction of Levis styles of the past. It is a great idea as men of all physiques can find something that fits them well from among the various cuts and styles. But looking towards the future, for a way to sustain and grow the LVC brand, it may be time to think about creating jeans with different qualities of denim, qualities that are not reproductions of the originals.

The market for exact reproductions is a small one, a niche restricted to denim antiquarians and collectors, many of whom participate on this and other forums and blogs. But the greater market is that being pioneered by the Japanese, making traditional styles with different qualities of cloth including heavyweight denim.

Traditional mid-weight denim is insufficient protection in climates where extreme temperatures exist and were men must give up wearing jeans and switch to heavyweight wool or corduroy trousers during the Fall and Winter months. And men who engage in active sports like hunting, fishing, motorcycle riding, boating, flying, hiking, and camping in cold weather must leave their jeans in the closet for other warmer and more rugged clothing. In fact, in many places in the world the climate allows wearing 12-14 ozs cloth for only a few months (weeks) a year, this denim being either too warm in Summer or lacking insulation in Winter.

As an example, the Japanese are producing jeans from 15-30 ozs denim. This trend towards heavy, durable cloth makes sense at many levels: comfort, aesthetics and economics. We have discussed the enhanced comfort of heavy cloth in cold weather climates (not San Francisco), but there is also an argument that heavy cloth drapes better, takes on a deeper patina (fade) and therefore is more aesthetically pleasing. And heavyweight cloth lasts longer, an important economic advantage in this time of crisis.

The other market opportunity would be lightweight, summer weight denim made from very high twist cotton cloth to be worn in warmer climates, something in the 9-10.5 ozs range.

So I think I am not alone in encouraging Levis Strauss to experiment with new qualities of denim (heavier and lighter) for their LVC brand, keeping as a standard, the traditional cuts and styles that are the envy of the world.

And men who engage in active sports like hunting, fishing, motorcycle riding, boating, flying, hiking, and camping in cold weather must leave their jeans in the closet for other warmer and more rugged clothing.

Actually, my LVC '44s are my hunting pants from the begining of upland birds in mid October through the end of rifle deer in early December.

I don't want to see LVC use denim that is too heavy, or light, I want the correct weight, and I'm not 100% convinced that what is currently being used couldn't be slightly heavier, or at least fluffier/bulkier.

Yeah, LVC should stick to the original specifications and reproduce them 100%. Otherwise it wouldn't be LVC anymore.

If someone feels he needs heavier denim he should look into the existing brands (Samurai,IronHeart).

I've got no problem if Levi's would use heavier denim but please not under the LVC /XX sub-brand

I keep loosing a little weight and think I need to get a smaller pair of 55's. I started with a 38, then bought a 36, now I think I need a 34. Anyone have a pair in 34 with a 38+ leg?

Yeah, LVC should stick to the original specifications and reproduce them 100%. Otherwise it wouldn't be LVC anymore.

If someone feels he needs heavier denim he should look into the existing brands (Samurai,IronHeart).

I've got no problem if Levi's would use heavier denim but please not under the LVC /XX sub-brand

2nded. Real denim weight is the way to go. If there ever was a heavy weight model in the history of Levis, sure, reproduce them. Our japanese friends from the well known brands got a lot of heavy jawnz to choose from.

Also of this opinion....And wouldn't the whole "Workwear" line they are pushing (or any other sub-styles like that WWII inspired "Matchstick" jean with painted arcs) be a lot better if they used better/different fabrics?

Also of this opinion....And wouldn't the whole "Workwear" line they are pushing (or any other sub-styles like that WWII inspired "Matchstick" jean with painted arcs) be a lot better if they used better/different fabrics?

Yes - this is how I feel. I think Levi's problem is that they make good (the relative merits have been discussed here, and do not need to be brought up again) reproductions of their jeans under the LVC line. But they make NO good jeans under their modern line. I think if Levi's wants to preserve a reputation for quality, they should make a line using quality fabrics, with modern cuts. What they do now - produce crap under their modern line, and produce quality under their vintage line - does nothing to bolster their reputation, in my opinion. I just can't see how Levi's doesn't have a range of interesting fits made of quality denim at a $150 price point. With their ability to scale, it should be pretty easy.

Thanks Paul. that's exactly what I was planing on doing. I love the color of these right off the bat, so a cold soak would preserve that as much as possible.

I'm just curious to se how much these will shrink and stretch. I read shrinkage is 5% or so which should translate into an inch in the waist and 2 in length.

Very nice - the 'first blue jean' or '1873'. I think Cotton Duck has/had version of these, I had the natural indigo version, they're also very similar to the 1890s I wore this summer. They fade in beautifully, specially if you only give then a quick-ish cold soak to start off.

I keep loosing a little weight and think I need to get a smaller pair of 55's. I started with a 38, then bought a 36, now I think I need a 34. Anyone have a pair in 34 with a 38+ leg?

dude. i told you not to piss off that gypsy!

37728a.jpg

now you'll just keep getting thinner

Valencia st. 555 1873 for sale :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220659297968&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX

pretty sure the 44s should be a lighter weight denim than the more modern models... 11oz maybe?

What they do now - produce crap under their modern line, and produce quality under their vintage line - does nothing to bolster their reputation, in my opinion. I just can't see how Levi's doesn't have a range of interesting fits made of quality denim at a $150 price point. With their ability to scale, it should be pretty easy.

^This. Why keep pumping out soon to fail lines like Made and Crafted (admittedly I haven't looked at the sales figures but it's a failure in my eyes! ;)) etc. when they can focus on actual quality (yes, I realize market perception of "quality", and our perception for that matter, varies greatly)? I guess it's just easier for them to follow denim trends given their lack of brand confidence after the whole 1980's debacle (and emergence of a competitive premium denim market) but the whole Workwear collection would've been a great outlet for more experimental models (heavier weight, etc.) that could showcase brand heritage, durability and quality IMO...Granted, the direction they are heading isn't bad, but it shouldn't be half-assed which more often than not hurts the brands image more for denim nerds like ourselves...

but the whole Workwear collection would've been a great outlet for more experimental models (heavier weight, etc.) that could showcase brand heritage, durability and quality IMO..

Levis clearly think they have a place in the low end Sam’s Club or Cosco marketplace. Fine, if they can make money in this business. But the premium brand should be F1, the best, a showcase of a leader. And for this reason I suggest that Levis drop the hokey “vintage” format (that appeals to 200 denim geeks on forums worldwide, forgive me) and start making the best flipping denim the world has ever seen. That is what made Levis a centuries old brand, being the best. And why in the world should the Japanese (as much as I like them) steal a secure place at the top of the denim totem pole without even a fight?

Levis, leadership is a responsibility, be leaders again and the world will follow. For every style of jean (44, 47, 55 etc) offer three qualities of denim (9.5, 14, 21 ozs) and dare the rest of the world to follow. Make Levis an “aspirational” brand again, set the prices high for the top end products, but deliver quality that makes others gasp. Then the middle and lower end products will develop and be more profitable as young people aspire and work (it is workwear) to merit the more hand crafted, exclusive products.

For goodness sakes, whatever you do, raise your head out of the dreary commonplace where you are rooted today.

Guest redchris

Paul, wasn't the "1st blue Jean" jean the very early valencia st. issue with the pink cardboard tag, like these ?

Paul, wasn't the "1st blue Jean" jean the very early valencia st. issue with the pink cardboard tag, like these ?

Those are the ones.

Farhad, looks like you sized those perfectly.

THey came out in 2001, the same year as the first (excellent) distressed Nevada, in both synthetic and natural indigo.

They were reissued in 2008, I think only in natural indigo, could be wrong.

firstbluelabel.jpg

This is my 2001 version, I boil-washed to try and shrink them, and they came out horribly bland. These are perhaps the only jeans I would consider dry cleaning first time around, at maybe 7 months, they need to be worn REALLY hard for the contrast to come out.

501oldlabel.jpg

For goodness sakes, whatever you do, raise your head out of the dreary commonplace where you are rooted today.

It's ironic that Levi's really was a brand rooted in the "dreary commonplace" for over a century. So it's maintained its connection with the masses, but forsaken (in more recent years) a devotion to a quality jean for those masses.