Levi's Vintage Clothing

excellent, thanks man. Are those '33's a normal LVC production (i.e. something I could cop at a Levi's brick and mortar in Japan?)

The aero ones are LVC europe and I don't know if they would have them in Japan or not. Aero ships, though! They are great to deal with.

Of course, you would def. be able to get Duck Diggers in Japan...

Just found this thread. I am currently working on some repo 1947s, and have some 1937 501s Miner./Railrider (is there a differene?)

I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about the latter. I've had them for a while, but never really liked the distress look, but recently seeing the Neighborhood Savage made me go into the closet to look at this pair again. I guess I like what I see.

Considering the photos you post of your pants and yourself and that you have an XL waist and wear the baggiest LVC repro's, I think there needs to be some room for opinions besides yours on real post war 501's 'not being as trim as repro's'. They arent that trim if you are a reasonable weight and original levi's were definetly very slim to the point that the repros do not seem to be as fitted as originals. America got fatter and sometimes levi's did not.

I've seen originals in comparison with LVCs 47s in the same size. I did state that I didn't see a pair of 47s but several pairs of late 40s and early 50s originals and I can't imagine Levis drasticly changing their pattern for just one year. Heres a photo of 1947 38 waist 501s compared to late 1990s STF 501s. They were both raw NWT and have about the same amount of wear and washings.

Compare47modern.jpg

You can certainly believe what you want to but I do believe the 47s are to trim compared to originals from that period. I've seen it with my own eyes.

My dad does some sort of historic re-enactment thing for something he does for the community, and I wanted to get him a pair of repro jeans, preferably something a bit older looking than the '47's.

Which models will have both bucklebacks and the suspender buttons? I've only seen the 1886's, which look perfect for what I'm looking for, but I am not sure would be possible to even get. Japanese repros would much easier for me to get than LVC, are there any Japanese repro alternatives out there that could fit the bill?

Heres another place that you can find hard to find LVCs. E-mail them because they have or can get stuff thats not on their site.

http://www.cultizm.com/

I believe those were sold as 501s in 1937, but when LVC reissued them in '96, they designated them as 201s.

You might wait and see what airfrogusmc and Paul T have to say about it, though.

I believe that to be right though Levis in their booklet that came with the jeans has a photo of what they are implying are originals

Booklet.jpg

but Paul pointed out the on the red tag in the photo it has the circle R which wouldn't have been on the tag in 37. I can say that these are really nice LVCs even if the buckle and the leather tag are off. The denim really makes up for it. The leather tag fades to dark brown anyway so you can't read if it says 201 or 501 after some wear.

IMG_7210.jpg

Oh and this is the buckle it should have

37501buckle.jpg

and this is the one the 1996 LVC 1937 201

37201buckle.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. Both pairs in the photo are 37 201s. One pair was really worn hard and washed in the machine. My wife grabbed them up and washed them early on so I just kept doing it. The dark ones were at the time of the photo two cold soak. I was showing how the patch fades. Those early 201s were made from incredible red line 12 oz conemill denim. When they were raw looked allot like the original pair of late 30s very early 40s 501s that sold on ebay for what was it 7 grand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1940s-Levis-Jeans-Big-E-501XX-Waist-Overalls_W0QQitemZ200034188941QQihZ010QQcategoryZ52386QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've never seen these before. I've never seen a tag on 37 501s that say 501XXc. Not to say they weren't made and aren't LVC I just haven't seen them. I wouldn't buy them until I got a look at the inside leg tag. It looks from the buckle and the pocket size that the could be the 1996 LVC 37 201s with a 501XXc leather patch but to make sure you would need to see the leg tag.

• 2 months later...
Paul pointed out the on the red tag in the photo it has the circle R which wouldn't have been on the tag in 37.

Paul I have a question about this, it's never been completely clear to me if the ® is only being used on reissues or if Levi's just introduced it on their jeans after a certain year? And if so, when was this?

In your book you said "Levi's reissues have an added ® symbol, wich is absent on most originals" So should I read from this that occasionally some originals did have it?

I'm confused!

Paul I have a question about this, it's never been completely clear to me if the ® is only being used on reissues or if Levi's just introduced it on their jeans after a certain year? And if so, when was this?

In your book you said "Levi's reissues have an added ® symbol, wich is absent on most originals" So should I read from this that occasionally some originals did have it?

I'm confused!

Ha, good question. Didn't know exactly when the ® appeared when we added that bitm, but as best as I can ascertain, it appeared around 1955 or so. SO if you see any cinchback jeans with an R you know they're LVC or fake, but it's no use for IDing repros/fakes of later jeans....

hi paul!

at first my english is not the best please excuse...

i have seen japanese repros without the circle r on the red tab ! please look here

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/super-rag/427211/543813/

i think in 50 years it's hard to differentiate is it a heavy-used repro from 2005 or a original

what is the ultimate feature to differentiate ?? there are also repro's without number on the top button (i have see a 1955 modell) and there are originals without numbers ... there must be a "ultimate" feature/detail a stiching or anything else to differentiate

thank you very much !

regards from germany

Ha, good question. Didn't know exactly when the ® appeared when we added that bitm, but as best as I can ascertain, it appeared around 1955 or so. SO if you see any cinchback jeans with an R you know they're LVC or fake, but it's no use for IDing repros/fakes of later jeans....

paul, don't know how credible but in the denim style book by lightning magazine, it mentions the last model to have the one-sided big e tab without the ® was the 1947-1952 501xx. starting with the 1952-1954 501xx, it became two-sided big e tab with the ®.

paul, don't know how credible but in the denim style book by lightning magazine, it mentions the last model to have the one-sided big e tab without the ® was the 1947-1952 501xx. starting with the 1952-1954 501xx, it became two-sided big e tab with the ®.

That does sound about right. There was a slight change in the design of the back pocket rivets, and the R seems to have appeared at the same time although the Levis' expert who helped me on this, who advised on early LVC, thought the symbol appeared in 55 rather than 52-54...

what's up guys...I tried searching but I couldn't exaclty find it. I figured someone should be able to help me out pretty quickly...I just got these off of ebay and it says that there is a "R" stamped on the back of the button. what's the significance of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300055451103&rd=1&rd=1

does that correspond with a certain year of LVC and if so, is that year considered to be one of LVC's better years or worse? I'm not too worried either way, as I'm sure they'll fade well, but I'm just curious. thanks

colin

My 1947 LVCs had an R on the back of the button. If I remember right they were from 04 maybe 03 and I got them from the Levis store on Mich. Ave in Chicago. I can't remember which factory Rs came from.