Levi's Vintage Clothing

About the only way this could be an apt comparison would be to think of the German military, producing better equipment in too small numbers to win the war, versus the United States which, essentially buried the world in a mountain of crap by 1945 (the USA actually accounted for over 50% of the GNP), creating so many weapons, planes, guns, etc, that they just had too much to lose, even if it wasn't technically the best, but rather, just "good enough". But the US fought (and their allies through Lend-Lease) with inferior weapons (the P-40, the Sherman tank, etc), and had enough of them, to overpower the Nazi's (and Japan)

So, by this analogy, you could be saying that you are emotionally bothered by the fact that Apple has a devoted following of people who use better made, future looking products, but you find their market share offensive. Instead, you enjoy the work it takes to weed through the glut of crap in the PC world, which, hand in hand with Microsoft, has flooded the world with their less savy, less user friendly, products.

Or maybe Apple just hates Jews?

Seriously, RNR, can you explain your statement as something more than "When I find myself liking something others like I get uncomfortable?"

Now, beyond all this - I think it's kind of random that Jobs wears LVC, but hey, just because he dresses like a nerdy slob, at least he appreciates some decent denim.

Can anybody say half hearted cynicism. Didn't mean to offend and I definitely don't want to get into a MAC vs PC debate on a denim forum. I was slightly kidding. I also said, "For some reason." Meaning I can't explain my disdain, but nevertheless the logic and reason do not support my opinions. Take it easy dude.

Don't confuse "user-friendly" with better. It ain't my fault that a majority of people can't navigate through technically difficult subject matter to solve problems.

Also, the closed format of almost all Apple products wreaks of undemocratic practices from the viewpoint of a software programmer. Not saying that Microsoft's almost monopoly on software isn't undemocratic, but atleast accessing and altering code if needed is possible.

Ah, the continuation of the myth that the P-40 and the Sherman were junk..... other than high altitude performance, where was the P-40 lacking vs it's competition in 1941 and 1942? It was better armed (for fighter vs fighter combat) and armored than any British, Japanese or German aircraft. On par when it comes to speed, able to outdive them all, able to out turn the German aircraft at all speeds, could outroll the Zero above 200 mph, probably outrolled the Bf109 and Spitfire at all speeds, but probably couldn't roll with the Fw190. It was only beat when it comes to climb and performance over 20,000 (but most aircraft at that time struggled to suck wind up there too).

Sherman? It wasn't meant to kill tanks, it was a mobile cannon and 50 cal machine gun meant to support the infantry and it did that well.

Lots of people who run companies like Levis' jeans....but most of them wear $6k suits to press conferences and product announcements. By contrast, the CEO of IBM always looks like the quintessential smart business savvy white guy in an expensive suit - but he sells to large companies or more specifically, the people who run those companies who put stock in a clean professional image.

Jobs is selling to...well people on forums like this who have nearly 10,000 comments on LVC alone. It's NOT a coincidence - especially coming from one of the most brilliant product marketing departments out there. Jobs is a creator and product in the overall Apple culture.

That's what I think, too. Jobs lives in the San Francisco Area so he probably got aware of Levis premium denim by himself. Also, as the hippie he was trying to be, he always wore raw denim. And why shouldn't he like Levis or New Balance product that are both made in the US? It might be kinda normal. I guess he hates beeing influenced by other people's opinion. ("you should wear this or that"...)

What did I start? Oh no. Sorry guys.

I've got a friend in NYC that wants to check out LVC stuff, does anyone know what the best stores are to find them in NYC? I remember there being a new store recently but I can't remember the name.

Atrium at Broadway and Bleeker

Barneys on 60th and Madison

probably some more

Brooklyn Denim Company has a pretty decent LVC collection including the Striped Pullover Sunset shirt, the red Sunset button down, the Type 1 and I think Type 2 as well. They have about 4-6 cuts of the denim.

The prices are a little higher than average, but the service was awesome when I went their. The guy who owns it is super nice and very knowledgeable.

Also, The J Crew Mens Store had a decent selection of LVC jeans, 1947 501's, 1967 505's, 1960's 606s, and 1 other.

Can anybody say half hearted cynicism. Didn't mean to offend and I definitely don't want to get into a MAC vs PC debate on a denim forum. I was slightly kidding. I also said, "For some reason." Meaning I can't explain my disdain, but nevertheless the logic and reason do not support my opinions. Take it easy dude.

Don't confuse "user-friendly" with better. It ain't my fault that a majority of people can't navigate through technically difficult subject matter to solve problems.

Also, the closed format of almost all Apple products wreaks of undemocratic practices from the viewpoint of a software programmer. Not saying that Microsoft's almost monopoly on software isn't undemocratic, but atleast accessing and altering code if needed is possible.

What's the matter, rnr, you not getting enough of a rise out of the guys on the Mr. Freedom thread?

What's the matter, rnr, you not getting enough of a rise out of the guys on the Mr. Freedom thread?

Actually I was trying to bait Paul T into a Mac vs. PC debate (cuz I know he pounds away at those Mac keys while writing those substandard books). I can't beat him in a denim debate, so I thought I would pull the old change of venue trick. I am still waiting for him to bite on this one. No one tell him. Alright?

I didn't know I was gonna get a lecture on WWII military manufacturing and economics.

http://copenhagenstreetstyle.dk/wp-content/uploads/sune01.jpg

Does anyone know if these are LVC's?

If so, which model are they?

Sorry, dunno. Maybe red tabs?

Actually I was trying to bait Paul T into a Mac vs. PC debate (cuz I know he pounds away at those Mac keys while writing those substandard books).

It very nearly worked. I started typing, but then the nipper wanted to use the Mac mini, and my MacBook Air ain't working properly so I went out for a beer instead. Sorry, I hate to let people down.

I'm disturbed by that reference to the P40, though. If this keyboard was working properly I'd get into an argument about that. I do especially like arguing about subjects of which I have no unique knowledge. It's an internet thing.

I do especially like arguing about subjects of which I have no unique knowledge. It's an internet thing.

Hey. Me too. Hence all the denim arguing on my side.

4778168412_c91cab734b_o.jpg

4778168344_14e2cfa778_o.jpg

Labeled as being from the 1920s, copyright (lower left) reads 1927, label reads "FOR OVER 50 YEARS". Since this had to be made post 1927, say 1928, that would date XX origin (if this is what the oiltag specifically refernces) to c. 1878, confirming 1909 catalog.

4778168286_d3d0a152a9_o.jpg

From a deadstock pair of WWII jeans, dated between 1942-1946, label reads "FOR OVER 70 YEARS". If 1878 is used, that would seem to actually date these jeans to post 1948. ???

(All images from Boon Vintage Magazine vol. 1 1990s)

I looked at a original Levi patch, that seems to match the patch that is on the oldest oldest pant? I think this patch with the wording and the two hoarse brand label were being used at the same time? I saw the 1901 catalog and it says XX 25 years the standard, this would put the XX start time to 1876? I'm going to make a copy of the 1879 price list ,so it can be posted.

Soaked my 55's yesterday :

Pre soak (tagged 32/36)

Waist: 33"

Thigh: 11"

Inseam: 36"

Hem: 8.5"

Post soak ( 40°degrees, machine, no detergent)

Waist: 31"

Thigh: 10"

Inseam: 33.5"

Hem: 7.5"

unbenanntla.gif

It's such a great jean. The fit is really perfect, classical slim straight and there's a little room left for further shrinkage. They're simply like I wanted them to be, again, perfect. And the fabric is awesome, I post fitpics soon!

I looked at a original Levi patch, that seems to match the patch that is on the oldest oldest pant? I think this patch with the wording and the two hoarse brand label were being used at the same time? I saw the 1901 catalog and it says XX 25 years the standard, this would put the XX start time to 1876? I'm going to make a copy of the 1879 price list ,so it can be posted.

Thanks Mike,

What are your thoughts on the rivets used on the Nevada? They say 'Pat 1872' (small pic in paul T's book) - how come the original 'rivets' patent is dated 1873? Is this a second patent?

Yours..confusingly...

Thanks Mike,

What are your thoughts on the rivets used on the Nevada? They say 'Pat 1872' (small pic in paul T's book) - how come the original 'rivets' patent is dated 1873? Is this a second patent?

Yours..confusingly...

I'm a little hungover and might have hallucinated this, but I"m pretty sure the rivets say "May 1873" - there was an error on the caption in that rare, valuable, (incorrect) first edition you have!

unbenanntla.gif

It's such a great jean. The fit is really perfect, classical slim straight and there's a little room left for further shrinkage. They're simply like I wanted them to be, again, perfect. And the fabric is awesome, I post fitpics soon!

Those look fabulous. Even tho I have an old 555 pair stocked up, I"m jealous, would love to see how the new run wear in. I was in Cinch alst week and, while I hope they improve the 1901 and 1915, the current 44, 47 and 55 all look amazing, both fabric and workmanship look the best they've been for years.

Pre soak (tagged 32/36)

Waist: 33"

Thigh: 11"

Inseam: 36"

Hem: 8.5"

Post soak ( 40°degrees, machine, no detergent)

Waist: 31"

Thigh: 10"

Inseam: 33.5"

Hem: 7.5"

unbenanntla.gif

Thanks for this Dr, but your comments raise a few questions.

I don't own 55s myself but I've tried them on in a 32 (my size) and I wouldn't describe them as a slim straight, rather a standard straight or full-legged straight, which is classic 50s.

In addition, I don't know how you measured but those thigh and hem measurements don't look right for a 32. They would seem appropriate for a much slimmer cut. I'm a little confused here.

I'm a little hungover and might have hallucinated this, but I"m pretty sure the rivets say "May 1873" - there was an error on the caption in that rare, valuable, (incorrect) first edition you have!

Thanks for clearing that up Paul.

Why is it rare? (..or are you pulling my leg? Ha )

55's lookin good.

I want to go back to cinch now and look at those cone 55's!

Got a pair of 1944s this morning , see pics below . Cost £95 incl postge from -

http://www.commonn.co.uk/denim-levis-vintage-clothing.irc

I can't recommend Mark (ex Levis/Cinch) highly enough . He took the time to measure a few pairs for me over the phone and was a great help and knowledgeable about the brand . There are still some offers on at the minute .

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

There were two printings of the large format book, they're both pretty rare and seem to fetch quite a lot on abebooks last time I looked! My last spare copy I swapped with pomata for my 555 55s, which was a good deal, though .

I sent all the copy for the Denim book to Lyn Downey for her to check =- whcih was good of her, she's a real stickler. SHe didn't spot the 1872 error, until of course when the book came out when she told me what an obvious, embarrassing error it was! She's right of course. Often when I do press interviews and the journo makes mistakes (in particular one idiot called James Delingpole) she send me emails implying what idiots we all are. I love Lynn.

I sent all the copy for the Denim book to Lyn Downey for her to check =- whcih was good of her, she's a real stickler. SHe didn't spot the 1872 error, until of course when the book came out when she told me what an obvious, embarrassing error it was! She's right of course. Often when I do press interviews and the journo makes mistakes (in particular one idiot called James Delingpole) she send me emails implying what idiots we all are. I love Lynn.

Well it had me. Difficult to see without magnifying it:

I suppose you see what you wanna see.

Some of the prices on Abebooks are outrageous.

About the only way this could be an apt comparison would be to think of the German military, producing better equipment in too small numbers to win the war, versus the United States which, essentially buried the world in a mountain of crap by 1945 (the USA actually accounted for over 50% of the GNP), creating so many weapons, planes, guns, etc, that they just had too much to lose, even if it wasn't technically the best, but rather, just "good enough". But the US fought (and their allies through Lend-Lease) with inferior weapons (the P-40, the Sherman tank, etc), and had enough of them, to overpower the Nazi's (and Japan)

So, by this analogy, you could be saying that you are emotionally bothered by the fact that Apple has a devoted following of people who use better made, future looking products, but you find their market share offensive. Instead, you enjoy the work it takes to weed through the glut of crap in the PC world, which, hand in hand with Microsoft, has flooded the world with their less savy, less user friendly, products.

Or maybe Apple just hates Jews?

Seriously, RNR, can you explain your statement as something more than "When I find myself liking something others like I get uncomfortable?"

Now, beyond all this - I think it's kind of random that Jobs wears LVC, but hey, just because he dresses like a nerdy slob, at least he appreciates some decent denim.

RNRs pick of analagous regimes may not have been spot on, but the cynicism is warranted. Jobs wants you to associate Apple with American work and good old can do-ness, sporting 'regular joe' stuff that other companies took the high road to make domestically. While the millionaire boys club of programmers is basking in the neuveau riche afterglow, employees at the Chinese Foxconn factory that actually makes those iphones and ipads are committing suicide because of horrendous pay and working conditions. The company has claimed that it will double wages (but has only come up with 30% so far) and are crying that earnings will be down a fifth because of it.

Levis uses similar tactics by using only that tiniest bit of American manufacture that it can get away with that still allows it the impression of being the American company it once was. Farming everything else out to varied countries that have to compete with each other to see who can skin their labor costs closest to the bone.