Levi's Vintage Clothing

and the marbling depends on whether you have an american or european washing mashine. (I think I have heard about some differences there..). I shouldn't care about these things, its kinda superficiel. but it's interesting, too. and yes, I used the "spin cicle" at the end of the wash. you see the marbling a lot on often washed standard STFs.

(Double or triple) cuffing changes the silhouette as well as a too long & stacked pair. Get the right size & inseam and you'll get the right silhouette imo. The right inseam allows a single cuff while still getting enough stacking (works at least good for me).

My actual measured inseam is 29". So should i go for a tagged size length of 32 or 34 to get this effect ?

The weird white lines I believe are called "marbling"... And from what i understand, what is most common cause of this is the spin cycle of your washing machine. It makes sense.. .

Totally. I've gotten marbling from washing inside-out just as often. I think the cycle you choose (or when you take them out) is kep. uber-fast faders can show marbling in one short spin cycle.

In fact, I've heart it explained here by a denim kung-fu master why washing outside-out is recommended to also help prevent wear on the inside (weft) fibers.

My actual measured inseam is 29". So should i go for a tagged size length of 32 or 34 to get this effect ?

34, imo. If they shrink too much over time, you're screwed, right.

32s will shrink to 29 in a few washes. And then you have to account for the extra leg shortening from basic wear/creasing/stacks. etc. I don't find the 11" washed front rise makes much of a difference to perception of inseam length on 501s

So if you're really a true 29 in well-worn 501s, go for 32. Otherwise, get 34 and hem in the future.

I think the marbling is a cool vintage trait and gives the jeans a great vintage look. BUT, bear in mind that the inside of the jeans is truly what is kind of disgusting after wearing for extended periods of time. Thus, I always feel better about washing them inside out, even if associating that method with a certain level of cleanliness is irrational. :-)

My 34 inseams usually wind up at around 31 after full shrinkage.

Agreed. You'll end up with 31" on a 34 raw inseam eventually, and maybe soon. It's pretty well known that the won't show 31 until a few washes/wears. I did two initial hot-soaks of my 31/34 '47s before wearing and got 32 inseam.

However, I just washed them last night after only five wears and they had a definite second shrink phase everywhere and my inseam is now 31.

Agreed. You'll end up with 31" on a 34 raw inseam eventually, and maybe soon. It's pretty well known that the won't show 31 until a few washes/wears. I did two initial hot-soaks of my 31/34 '47s before wearing and got 32 inseam.

However, I just washed them last night after only five wears and they had a definite second shrink phase everywhere and my inseam is now 31.

I ended up with 31 (from 34) after one soak and hang dry (outside in the sun). I'm hoping I've maxed out the shrinkage, but I have a feeling there's still some left....either way, I'm loving my 47s.

I ended up with 31 (from 34) after one soak and hang dry (outside in the sun). I'm hoping I've maxed out the shrinkage, but I have a feeling there's still some left....either way, I'm loving my 47s.

I'm tell'n ya and I've had a lot of LVCs it takes 10 full wet to dry to get full shrinkage in the length. Most is out in 3 or 4 but its gonna take about 10 to get it 100% shrunk. Don't believe me but its what Levis says to.

Set to launch this summer, iconic denim experts Levi’s have created a new brand aimed at the Chinese market. The initial plan is to expand the number of stores in China from 20 to a whopping 1,000 by 2015. It is rumoured that pricing will fall slightly under that which one would expect from Levi’s, with jeans retailing at around $50. For more info check this article from WWD:

Classic Americana purveyor Levi Strauss & Co. is heralding the arrival of the young mainstream Chinese consumer by launching a new brand this summer in China — its first unveiled on foreign soil.

Befitting the new label’s vast home turf, the San Francisco-based denim company has ambitious plans to grow the line’s store base in China to 1,000 by 2015 from 20 this year. Levi Strauss wouldn’t disclose the name of the brand, which is likely to be priced slightly below traditional Levi’s and is being called Standard internally, but revealed it would be in English and make its Levi’s pedigree apparent.

“Although we are focused on China, our hope is that this brand will become one of our big brands,” said Tod Gimbel, senior director of corporate affairs at Levi Strauss’ Asia-Pacific division.

The denim giant joins Hermès International in the push to develop a brand for China. The luxury firm has taken a majority stake in Shanghai-based Shang Xia, which is creating, manufacturing and will sell a collection of clothing, accessories, furniture and other lifestyle products using Chinese raw materials and artisanal know-how. The first Shang Xia store is to open this year in Shanghai.

Levi Strauss’ goal is to develop the new brand’s store base with an even balance of franchised units and company-owned units. The stores are expected to average about 1,000 square feet, which is similar in size to existing Levi’s stores in China. Shop-in-shops within department stores will showcase the brand, as well.

Like Levi’s other stores in China, the new brand’s shops will offer a “top-to-bottom experience,” Gimbel said, with an array of merchandise for men and women. The denim will feature Levi’s signature five-pocket design, but will have a “distinct style and flair,” he said. “There will still be that Levi Strauss & Co. authentic denim craftsmanship, but it will have its unique identity.”

Levi Strauss has been among the most successful American apparel brands in China, though it had a rocky beginning in the country. In 1993, the company halted manufacturing in China because of human rights concerns. Production resumed five years later and Levi’s stores launched about 10 years ago. Now, Levi’s has 620 branded retail locations in mainland China and boasts a considerable presence in the nation’s major bustling retail districts.

they look great. now that´s entertainment! how did you size em?

I went just a tad over true to size for the actual measurements. Both have been soaked and have pretty much stretched back to where they started. The cinch is tightened up a little on both.

The Knappave is a 33x36 and the Oldest Oldest is a 32x36. Pre-soak, the Knappave measured 17.5" across the waist laid flat and the Oldest Oldest about 17". I usually want that measurement to be about 17" after shrinkage. Both measured about 36" BiG style. That is bigger than I usually want to end up but with the higher waist it works out pretty well. (The actual inseam on the Oldest Oldest was 38" so I shortened it a little.)

Entertainment

Hey great fit-pics of the older jeans (repped you for the 1880's), shame you had to alter the cinch on both pairs. You would think someone at Lvc would buy a pair of those and discover the cinch strap length blunder, and correct it. ...But no.

Thanks for the postings.

The knappaves do look a lot better, entertainment. Mind if I ask what your sizing was, and the actual post-soak waist and inseam?

1915 501 progress

4528938334_b1da0ae6af.jpg

4528308715_a823bef93e.jpg

excellent LVC detail - hand felled yoke and seat seams - single stitched waistband:

4528942188_2fe2397169.jpg

Sorry for quoting this again, but I must spread some rep erk. These look like they are coming along nicely. I like all the single stitch yoke details on those.