Levi's Vintage Clothing

That's cool I'll have to get myself a pair then. I always wanted to buy from Cultizm and/or any of the other stores that sponsor this fine blog. Looking forward to getting those elusive 201s, will post comments/opinions as soon as I get delivery. Many thanks guys for explaining how that VAT works.

why would you like to size down?

I wouldn't because the '47 often comes one size smaller than tagged and shrinks up to two sizes from that. so you could end up with a pair 3 sizes smaller than tagged

My 32x34s measure almost exactly 32 in the waist after a year of wear and many soaks. I know it's considered common knowledge that '47s are smaller than their tagged size even before the initial shrink, but that definitely isn't always the case.

i just want a slim straight fit. something like 1967 505s

I guess you try to take advantage of the deal you can get on the Levi's website. Otherwise I would just buy the 505s

My 32x34s measure almost exactly 32 in the waist after a year of wear and many soaks. I know it's considered common knowledge that '47s are smaller than their tagged size even before the initial shrink, but that definitely isn't always the case.

that is why I wrote often and not always. And you have to consider the possibility that they might be undersized and I don't think if he asks the guys at the Levi's webshops they will give him a proper answer

Just to recap, fo rthe millionth time:

All 1947 production from, say, 2001 to 2009 is UNDERSIZED BY ONE INCH.

From, i think, s/s 2009 the factory changed and the 1947 are no longer undersized. Look at the 501 visual guide thread for more info.

Just to recap, fo rthe millionth time:

All 1947 production from, say, 2001 to 2009 is UNDERSIZED BY ONE INCH.

From, i think, s/s 2009 the factory changed and the 1947 are no longer undersized. Look at the 501 visual guide thread for more info.

I'm not sure what part of my post prompted you to quote me with this tone, but I didn't ask for any input on the sizing issue. I simply pointed out that '47s can be worn true to size or downsized in some cases. I neither stated, nor even IMPLIED, that this is the rule rather than the exception, and considering I pointed this out in reference to a poster asking about some '47s currently for sale on the Levi's site, I'd say my point was valid. In fact, I'd say it was necessary.

It's a bit strange to me that I contributed a relevant post with accurate information and was replied to more than once as if I'm asking questions and have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure what part of my post prompted you to quote me with this tone

Sorry I was short. I thought you were disagreeing with beautiful freak's suggestion that most 1947 were undersized and I was therefore trying to add specific information. It's risky to suggest downsizing, or wearing actual size, on any 1947 that might be 2009 or earlier.

If your jeans have stretched to tag szie, tell us what year they are, as that's useful information.

Edit:

IT was this quote that is demonstrably incorrect, unless you change the last line to say, 'that isn't the case with more recent versions'. The common knowekdge is correct, in that all the older 47, over roughly six years, up to 2009, are undersized by once inch. Once again, sorry I capitalised, if that sounded rude.

Sorry I was short. I thought you were disagreeing with beautiful freak's suggestion that most 1947 were undersized and I was therefore trying to add specific information. It's risky to suggest downsizing, or wearing actual size, on any 1947 that might be 2009 or earlier.

If your jeans have stretched to tag szie, tell us what year they are, as that's useful information.

It's alright; no problem.

They're from Spring 2007. My true waist is 31", and the only thing I've done with these jeans that may be different from the norm has been keeping them away from super hot water. Their first soak was for a short time in warm water followed by an air dry on a hot day, which resulted in the shinkage I wanted, and since then I've mainly used cold water to wash them.

For reference they were never tight on me. They were a bit loose before their initial soak and fit pretty snug every time they're dried. After a few minutes they loosen to around their tagged size.

IT was this quote that is demonstrably incorrect, unless you change the last line to say, 'that isn't the case with more recent versions'. The common knowekdge is correct, in that all the older 47, over roughly six years, up to 2009, are undersized by once inch. Once again, sorry I capitalised, if that sounded rude.

I didn't say the common knowledge was incorrect, though, just that some '47s are not undersized. And as you said, they aren't. I don't think I implied that the older ones are not necessarily undersized.

By the way, it's not my goal to spar with you, here. I am aware that you are probably the most knowledgeable person on this board when it comes to LVC, and your posts have been consistently helpful to me, even long before I bothered registering.

I got asked along to a refit party for Cinch, the LVC outfit in London, last night.

Maurizio Donadi, previously boss of RRL, is now head of the XX premium group, which included the Made and Crafted range and LVC. He's an extremely nice, knoweldeable, approachable and enthusiastic guy.

The shop's been refitted to make it less slick, more textural. Over the next few months they want to include more vintage stock, perhaps 25 per cent.

Cinch regulars will recognise Richard, the previos manager, in the hat and beard. Everyone seemed to be wearing Belstaff or Barbour INternaitonal that night, obviously it's a steve McQeeun thing. Maurizio is in the background, in a very fetching cap (cotton duck?)/

Maurizio.jpg

Shoprefinished.jpg

I thought, out of politeness, I'd leave my SDA103 at home tonight and wear my 55 501. They're at almost a perfect place just now. But so as not to be to creepy, I did also wear my Wrangler 27MW shirt. AS I said, a bit of a Steve McQueen vibe.

beerandturnups.jpg

I took along Graham Marsh, a neighbor of mine, whith whom I did the denim book. He also put together the legendary Blue Note album art book, as well as designing the sleeve for the who's Anyway, anyhow, Amywhere. He's wearing 60s 501 I think, and freaked out Maurizio by telling how he boiled them before wearing to get the shrinkage out of the way. But he's an old mod, he can't be wrong, he's been doing it much longer than us.

Grahams501.jpg

From now on, the enture 501 range will be available at once, rather than having certain eyar models drop in and out. The shop stocks the chinos, too.

Chinos.jpg

Current501.jpg

I was taken with the Cotton Duck closed top jumper. This is absolutely insane. THey developed the cotton duck from scratch at Cone, it's a true selvage. (I have a bag in the matieral and will wash it over the weekend to see how it wears). It's cut absolutely striaght, and is a thing of beauty, but I think you will have to be extrmely skinny, or look lie a girzzled old prospector to get away with wearing one. I really want one.

Closedfrontjumper.jpg

Closedfrontjumperdetail.jpg

This chap is called Victor, he was telling me about the effort they went to to produce the 1910 333. Apparently they bought a loom in from Russia, and installed it at the COne plant in Europe, can't remember where. They had to find extremely short stape cotton to get the crappy look of the riginal cotton, whch used lots of recycled fibres. the finishes on the 333, he told me, are by Martelli. There's a new version on its way. victorsandberg.jpg

Victor gave me the contact details of their denim developer, so I can ask him loads more complicated questions and add them to the Cone thread, etc.

Graham and I live a couple doors down from each other, wo we walked to the train station together, thru Soho. A busy evening, the hookers were just filtering out onto the street by the time we walked him, but were keeping out of the way, due to aheavy cop presence.

GrahamMarsh.jpgSoho.jpg

Yes, the chinos are washed. I only looked quickly, but the washes look good.

I spoke to Maurizio, the big boss at some lenght. I told him they had to get their sizing consistent, as they're pissing off customers and retailers. I didn't mention the cinches, but I have mentioned this to one of the deisgn team previously.

Oh, more info:

1: they would like to open a NY outlet.

2: Because XX is freestanding, more independent, after a certain amount of time they have to pay their way. Thus it seems, and this is only my understanding, not at all official, very likely indeed there'll be a price hike. I've always guesed that LVC makes a loss on every pair sold - this iscorrect, the range has alwasy been a loss leader.

how much for the duck shirt?

DAMN! i really love it

US Levi website has some rigid '47s (LVC) on sale at $100. I'm assuming these are holdovers from previous seasons.

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3256561&cp=3146842.3146844.3146854.3194290.3692022

Thanks for sharing that. I've been meaning to pick up some 47s for a while. I'm a normal 30 and went with the 31s, I guess if they turn up too small I can always return them since they don't appear to be priced as final sale items (as far as I could tell).

Thanks for sharing that. I've been meaning to pick up some 47s for a while. I'm a normal 30 and went with the 31s, I guess if they turn up too small I can always return them since they don't appear to be priced as final sale items (as far as I could tell).

I think Paul has said this year 2010 and the 09 season the 1947s were no longer undersized.

Maurizio.jpg

What a bunch of characters, I mean you guys look like a wild mix of burned out hippies, beats and gangstas -- much like most of the fine folks I hang out with lol. I would've expected business men all dressed in black suites and pressed white shirts sipping cocktails and smoking cigars. I gotta say, since this is the group that's now in charge of LVC Operations, maybe there's hope for the brand after all -- can't wait to see their creations.

ThomasK, If you're still looking for a LVC book, one is on the ebay auction block. Not a bad starting price either for $15..Check it out here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LVC-LEVIS-VINTAGE-CLOTHING-BOOK_W0QQitemZ180462229071QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Clothing?hash=item2a0463164f

Thanks electrum. I gotta say though: I bought another 47 from cultizm a few months back and was very surprised they came with this book. (as dr. house said), because somewhere on Sufu I read cultizm ships the 47s without it.

But thanks for sharing.