Levi's Vintage Clothing

always happy to spark a little debate and fire to this thread which otherwise is way too many sizing questions. I mean how many times can you ask "what size would i be in the 1915"

I've always found this thread to be really interesting, and it's my favorite to visit. some sizing questions pop up frequently, but LVC sizing is ridiculous and you can't avoid that. at least its not as bad as the samurai thread. I hardly ever even read that thread.

edit: something to spice your life

4320754606_6e7c15a5f6.jpg

SC47, s5000vx, lvc 37, lvc '15

big:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4320754606_6e7c15a5f6_b.jpg

Heres some shots of mine.

So from what you say Paul the denim on these is close to the originals?

THey look great - sadly I have only seen photos of the originals so your guess is as good as mine.

I was surprised when I walked into Cinch last spring, a few weeks after seeing a bunch of early Cone bib overalls, and there was an LVC version that looked essentially identical. NOt that I look necessarily for a recreation of something old all the time - but there is something intriguing about wearing a reinterpretation. I love chatting to the COne guys about it, simply because it gives you an insight into the guys who were making all this stuff 70 years ago. It is an amazing part of our/your cultural heritage.

THey look great - sadly I have only seen photos of the originals so your guess is as good as mine.

I was surprised when I walked into Cinch last spring, a few weeks after seeing a bunch of early Cone bib overalls, and there was an LVC version that looked essentially identical. NOt that I look necessarily for a recreation of something old all the time - but there is something intriguing about wearing a reinterpretation. I love chatting to the COne guys about it, simply because it gives you an insight into the guys who were making all this stuff 70 years ago. It is an amazing part of our/your cultural heritage.

I love my 209 coveralls. I have them on as I type. I am a denim geek. The Mrs calls me farmer john when I wear them. LoL.

The denm on the 333s (I'll get some photos soon of the way they look now, is as you described) loose weave, heavier than most from the era but have gotten VERY soft and so comfortable. They look incredible with an old flight jacket.

Nothing like hearing from those that were there. Grant (he posts here) had a very cool conversation a few years back with a lady that worked for Aero ( the real one) in WWII making flight jackets. That kind of first hand knowledge is truly a gem to hear and a direct link to the past.

I've always found this thread to be really interesting, and it's my favorite to visit. some sizing questions pop up frequently, but LVC sizing is ridiculous and you can't avoid that. at least its not as bad as the samurai thread. I hardly ever even read that thread.

edit: something to spice your life

4320754606_6e7c15a5f6.jpg

SC47, s5000vx, lvc 37, lvc '15

big:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4320754606_6e7c15a5f6_b.jpg

try the apc thread. love checking it every few months to monitor its exponential growth. lvc sizing will always allow for a certain amount of chat. its a pain in the ass to keep sending stuff back to germany.

The Knappaves do look sweet; I like the unfinished yoke inside. I am looking forard to seeing a pair of these really worn, not just washed, but one that someone has done hard, physical work in!

I do believe the Knappave and the Oldest Oldest should both have a small pleat on each side, under the yoke, though. Can't remember off-hand if The NEvada featured this. Apparently an Evisu designed dropped in at Cinch some months ago, and pointed this out... and IIRC, Evisu have introduced their own Nevada, a ripoff of the LVC model.

The Knappaves do look sweet; I like the unfinished yoke inside. I am looking forard to seeing a pair of these really worn, not just washed, but one that someone has done hard, physical work in!

I do believe the Knappave and the Oldest Oldest should both have a small pleat on each side, under the yoke, though. Can't remember off-hand if The NEvada featured this. Apparently an Evisu designed dropped in at Cinch some months ago, and pointed this out... and IIRC, Evisu have introduced their own Nevada, a ripoff of the LVC model.

Paul

Thanks for the info on the little pleats. Never really noticed that before. The original Knappave's (see four or five pages back) have them.

Looking at the Lvc line up, have since noticed there are no pleats on the early Duck model, but there are pleats on the 1886 XX (on the yoke where the cinch strap is riveted to it).

Have you ever seen photos of the 'oldest/oldest' from the LS&co vaults?

Thanks Paul, I didnt realise the oldest/oldest were based on these earliest XX's. But I was under the impression that the knappave's and the nevada's were two different jeans, with the metal shank buttons on the nevada being similar to the 1890's, wereas the knappave's have sewn-through earlier style metal buttons, similar to the duck pants.

Or is that just another Lvc mistake? .

Short answer, I don't know. I asked Lynn Downey and she didn't know of the Knappave... it's possible it's in her vault but is known by a different name. I'm sirhgt in thinbking the Knappave is the one with the cut-off legs?

I seem to remember the (original) NEvada had lost its suspender buttons. DOn't know if it would have had sewn-on ones or not, and I am away from my books. Anyways, here's a photo CHicken posted of the Nevadas, with a one-off repro.

Many thanks,

The photo of the nevada repros are from the Buttenhiem museum, whereas the limited run that Lvc did have the solid shank buttons, such as these two on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEVI-LVC-VINTAGE-1883-NEVADA-MINER-JEANS-pre-big-E-era_W0QQitemZ230405541071QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MC_Jeans?hash=item35a53d8ccf

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEVI-LVC-VINTAGE-1883-NEVADA-MINER-JEANS-pre-big-E-era_W0QQitemZ250570050499QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMen_s_Clothes?hash=item3a57238bc3

There are two pairs of the knappave in existance (that I know of), the ones with the shredded legs in the LS&co vault (never seen pix) and those from a Japanese collector, which I posed a few pages back.

Just get so hooked on the earlier stuff ( but who doesn't?) due to the fact there are so many holes in the information available.

Of all of the early repros, the Knappave is my favorite.

(btw..I have a theory on the two-piece waistband question, but I'll let you get back to work!)

Iv'e seen the photos of the early XX, which I guess the Oldest Oldest is based on, and the Nevada/Knappave in the flesh.

HEre's the XX. Somewhere on this thread is a full-length photo with Lynn Doweny holding them, I believe.

bu_levisxx0047df.jpg

Thanks for the picture of the Oldest Oldest. The repros do have the pleats in the yoke but the face the opposite direction from the original!

PA120136.jpg

I'm being stupid, I don't see what you mean! The main pleats I can see ar under the cinch - this might simply be the position of the cinch, but I know on the Nevadas theere's a little folded section. I was told its purpose, but can't recollect it.

THe stitching on the original looks seems to be orange. I hate the pale stitching they've used on a lot of the early reissues, looks completely wrong to me.

The original pair also show how the hand-hammered rivets can come out round-headed.

I'm being stupid, I don't see what you mean! The main pleats I can see ar under the cinch - this might simply be the position of the cinch, but I know on the Nevadas theere's a little folded section. I was told its purpose, but can't recollect it.

THe stitching on the original looks seems to be orange. I hate the pale stitching they've used on a lot of the early reissues, looks completely wrong to me.

The original pair also show how the hand-hammered rivets can come out round-headed.

I guess it's a problem of the clarity of my photo. The opening of the pleats face each other in the original but in the repro they face outward.

Oh yes! I love my 333s very much!!! Yes I do agree with you : )

Cool photos. Mine have been worn and washed MANY times and are very faded. Very very comforatable. My wife says she likes they way the 333s look when I'm wearing them more than any of my other jeans.

Some say they weren't that popular therfore they can't be good but I would never put popularity and quality together. Britney Spears is very popular and Threes Company was once the most popular TV show. LoL.

I'll try and get some new photos up soon if anyone is interested.

Cool photos. Mine have been worn and washed MANY times and are very faded. Very very comforatable. My wife says she likes they way the 333s look when I'm wearing them more than any of my other jeans.

Some say they weren't that popular therfore they can't be good but I would never put popularity and quality together. Britney Spears is very popular and Threes Company was once the most popular TV show. LoL.

I'll try and get some new photos up soon if anyone is interested.

Britney spears is still popular?

Yeah, some up to date pics on those 333's would be great.

Britney spears is still popular?

Yeah, some up to date pics on those 333's would be great.

I'll try and get some shot this weekend.

All said and done my favorite LVCs are and these are in no particular order

A list

1915s

1911 333s

1905 209 coverall

1955s

And we'll see were I put the 1880s after some serious wear.

And I'd also put the 20 201s (555)

and my old 1933 501s (555) on a solid B list.

Pulled the trigger on a pair of the Kanappave 1880's this morning...on sale (less VAT) for $128 + $19 shipping...already on route from cultizm.com via FedEx!

Since they now have my size, I was going to get the '20 201's Cultizm has, but that 19% VAT is ridiculous. After you add shipping/insurance I'm looking at paying around $260 and that;s just too damn high. That's the problem with not being able to buy LVC here in the states the price is too high w/ all those added fees. Even if they are sold here again, they'll probably only be available at a few pricey pussy boutiques that cater primarily to celebrities and homos so you'll likely still have to pay out the ass for em. Screw that, I'll stick with trying my luck in the secondary market like ebay when shopping for my LVC.

I'll try and get some shot this weekend.

All said and done my favorite LVCs are and these are in no particular order

A list

1915s

1911 333s

1905 209 coverall

1955s

And we'll see were I put the 1880s after some serious wear.

And I'd also put the 20 201s (555)

and my old 1933 501s (555) on a solid B list.

Thought I'd add my A list too ( again, in no particular order)

1873 duck (555)

1880 knappave

1890 501 (2005 only)

1920's 201 (555)

1955 (555)

And the B list -

1901 501 (643M only)

1955 (554)

1963 551Z