Levi's Vintage Clothing

I just borrowed Paul's book from the library (first ed) and anybody keen on the vintage and history of jeans should definitely read it. there are references to amoskeag, the nevada and calico mine jeans, descriptions of the details of the early 501s (pockets, stitching, etc) - basically an excellent resource. i will cop the second edition from amazon in a short while.

references also to evisu (a photo of an evis denim jacket included!), old glory diesel, etc.

I just borrowed Paul's book from the library (first ed) and anybody keen on the vintage and history of jeans should definitely read it. there are references to amoskeag, the nevada and calico mine jeans, descriptions of the details of the early 501s (pockets, stitching, etc) - basically an excellent resource. i will cop the second edition from amazon in a short while.

references also to evisu (a photo of an evis denim jacket included!), old glory diesel, etc.

Yeah I've been meaning to pick it up to. I went to get it from Amazon a mont or so ago and they were out so I didn't order.

Rob now for the tough question which are your favs. I see a pair of 20 201s 555 (one of my favs) in there and well as 55s 37 501s and 33 501s and some 47s right?

1955 are the ones I have the most of and the ones which fit me best. The 201s on the left were my 1st pair of LVC, the 2005 issue doesn't come close. I had to alter the double stitch arctuates!!!!!!! myself. Also got a soft spot for 1944 s501s

Those do run small in the waist. I usually wear a 38 in most LVCs but my 37 201s are 40 waist and fit more snuggly in the waist than any of my other LVCs that are 38.

Well, to put it in context, they're a 31 waist, and my 1920s LVCs are a 33! I used to a skinny bastard, back in the day.

I just bought a pair of 551zxx. I was just wondering anyones experiences with these. In fact im a little scared of wearing them, they are so nice.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/eggyeggyegg/DSC07731.jpg[/quote

That one 551zxx cost you 450$,you really rich person....

Here is a link ORIGINAL LEVI'S 501 S BIG E JEANS CIRCA 1966 UNWORN ,http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-LEVIS-501-S-BIG-E-JEANS-CIRCA-1966-UNWORN_W0QQitemZ320028145771QQihZ011QQcategoryZ11483QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem,

my question is 6 stamp on first button means what?

• 3 weeks later...
I just bought a pair of 551zxx. I was just wondering anyones experiences with these. In fact im a little scared of wearing them, they are so nice.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/eggyeggyegg/DSC07731.jpg

I have owned several of that style in the past. They were the darkest jeans I have ever owned. I will say that the legs don't really twist after a wash because they are sanforized. They seem to kind of fade really evenly rather than alot of contrasting wear. Indigo just POURS out of them even in a rinse. I really liked them at first, but the whole zipper thing just got to be worrisome for me, my two pairs were kinda tight and everytime I zipped them I was worried about blowing the zipper out. Additionally, no matter how hard I tried the zipper always seemed to ride down about 1/4 inch which gave this weird sort of gap/hole. I will say the fit really well, but the zipper anxiety got the better of me and I sold them and bought 3 pairs of LVC 1944s which I like much better. All mine were 555 and they had a YYK zipper as well. I did not pay anything near $450 for them though.

I'm not sure if you could call them slim but the early 37 201s run small in the waist. I usually take a 38 waist in most LVCs and the 40 waist 37 201s fit slimmer in the waist than even the 38 47 501s that I had. Now they're not as trim as the 47s ever where else but I would say these are the trimmest (waist) of the LVC buckle backs.

Very loose fitting buckle backs are the 1901s 1886s and the 20s 201s.

Also the 33 501s.

What is the general consensus on the 1906 Bunker jean that just came out? the back-story is very cool, and the jeans are interesting, but the fit is honestly not great. However, with only 501 pairs in existence i don't know how much wear would go into them. The detailing is incredible though, even down to the rusty rivets and buttons

^^ Hey watchman, you talkin about the bunk-house jeans? I think they are very cool, and any LVC based on a piece from the archives that have a story to go along with it are nice, and definately collectable (Limited edition).From recent LVC seasons, I like the bunkhouse jeans and also the tow rope jeans, which are only available in the european market I believe.

Yeah, the bunkhouse jeans look really cool in person. Plus, the novelty of only 501 made is cool, although the $501 price tag makes my wallet hurt already. They come with a natural indigo bandana and a replica of the news paper from 1911

I have owned several of that style in the past. They were the darkest jeans I have ever owned. I will say that the legs don't really twist after a wash because they are sanforized. They seem to kind of fade really evenly rather than alot of contrasting wear. Indigo just POURS out of them even in a rinse. I really liked them at first, but the whole zipper thing just got to be worrisome for me, my two pairs were kinda tight and everytime I zipped them I was worried about blowing the zipper out. Additionally, no matter how hard I tried the zipper always seemed to ride down about 1/4 inch which gave this weird sort of gap/hole. I will say the fit really well, but the zipper anxiety got the better of me and I sold them and bought 3 pairs of LVC 1944s which I like much better. All mine were 555 and they had a YYK zipper as well. I did not pay anything near $450 for them though.

thanks for the reply. its helped alot because i prefer that contrasting fade. for the same reason it is my only pair of jeans with a zipper. my pair is also a bit tight, so i was thinking am i going to do the whole "something about mary" zip up...or am i going to have the zipper ride down and show my boxers; will find out.

Out of curiousity, do most deadstock LVC come heavily starched? My new 1947's are incredibly stiff feeling, almost like sandpaper, which may be just the result of heavy starch in the relatively light denim, but i'm curious as to what causes it specifically.

• 3 weeks later...

I think 12-12.5 is about the heaviest on most LVCs though I think the 551s were 14. I think Levis try to stay true to the weight of the origials. The heavies I've owned are the 37 201s 37 501s 47s. These all seem to be about 12 oz or so. Most of the real early year LVCs were 9-10 oz. Light but TOUGH. Also theres a big difference in the denim on my 37 201s (early LVCs) and the later 37 501s. The denim on the 37 201s is better than the stuff on the 2003 37 501s.