Levi's Vintage Clothing

^If only someone who sold LVCs listed detailed measurements...

They are on the 501 visual guide thread. THese are measrurements for the 2009 production, which are especially oversized - I would always check with the retailers, too.

Sizing: Standard advice on buying raw Levi's 501, and the LVC range, is to size up by two inches (one size), as the jeans will shrink by around two inches in the waist after their first 30-degrees wash (they will shrink around 2 inches in length, too) The majority of LVC, however, are made slightly oversize in the waist, so on some jeans - notably the 1955 501 and the 1920s 201 - you should buy your actual waist size.

Dimensions

Here is a partial list of dimensions for LVC, spring 2009 production. Note these are different sizing from previous years, in partiuclar the 1947 are no longer undersize.

Measurements are for jean tagged 32W 32L.

W= waist, R=Rise, L=leg length, Lo=leg opening (measured across hem) S=seat (width just below the front pockets), Th=thigh width 7 inches below the crotch.

1901 501 W34, R13, L31.5, Lo8.75, St22.25, TH10.5

1922 201 W34, R11.5, L 32.5, Lo10, St20.5, Th11.25

1927 501 W35, R13, L32.5, Lo9.5, St 21, Th11

1933 501 W33, R12.5, L31 , Lo 9.25,St20.5 , Th 10.75

1937 501 W32.5,R13, L31.75, Lo9, St 20, Th10.125

1944 501 W35, R13, L32, Lo 8.75, St 20.25,Th10

1947 501 W32, R12, L32, Lo8.5, St20.25, Th10

1955 501 W35, R12, L31, Lo8.5, St20.75, Th10.75

'54 501Z W32, R11, L33.5, Lo7, St20.25, Th10

1966 501 W32, R11.5, L32 , Lo8.25 , St21.75, Th10.75

1978 501 W35, R11, L32, Lo8, St21, Th10.5

1983 501 W34, R12, L31.75, Lo9 , St20.75, Th10.25

i was in a levi's store in dc and i noticed quite a few delicious looking items (a denim chore coat, a few nice workshirts, some buckleback stf jeans) none selvedge or expensive (the chore coat was $90, the workshirts were around $50 and the jeans were $75) but what i noticed, is that i dont believe they are LVC, but rather the inside tag said L.S. & CO in red with a white background, is this just regular stuff that happens to be cool and all vintage inspired? or is it a sub-line? forgive me for asking so much, i have NO idea about any sort of levi's products, but this stuff peaked my interest.

I looked at some of this stuff last night. I wasn't particularly impressed by the cut or quality of any of it. It is an indication that the workwear trend is going to wholly explode into the mainstream, although I'll doubt the civilian population will truly be aware of the influence.

are the ones on offer all this season, i can go into cinch and try them on and buy a few pairs

There's a ton of LVC 40% off at Oki-ni. You have to use the code SEASONEND under 'Additional Services' during checkout. Here is the stuff that it works on. Most LVC is on page 2.

Once again, I would have bought a pair of oldest oldests, but I usually wear 32/34 in jeans, and they only had 34/34 :( The consensus around here seems to be go true to size, but post-shrinking, the 34s should measure 33, and my fully stretched jeans are 34-35 in the waist. Worth a try?

Not find much about the '54 501Z other than "they're wrong". What's wrong with them? Label vs actual size, or is the cut/proportions off? I'm wanting a dark, slim, tapered jean with at least a "mid" rise. The only photos I've been able to find of that model being worn are these of the pre-aged version.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5L7DmVQiNKs/SUel0obG8fI/AAAAAAAADbE/R2S7N7rSpCM/s1600-h/IMG_1259.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5L7DmVQiNKs/SUel0xRlA1I/AAAAAAAADbU/mm1aGFMUuI8/s1600-h/IMG_1269.jpg

Doesn't look bad, but maybe could use a little more taper and the back pockets look a little too big.

If the '55s were still around in my size, I'd just get a pair of those.

its strange with the ´37. i am a 32, and got them in 34, and they are my tightest pants waist wise. ( but maybe lvc japan is cut different)

that could be. I didn't measure mine before soak cause I was too excited and forgot. but i did measure my brother's pair and his were 1/2" larger than tag size. Mine are pretty snug at the waist but I think they'd be fallin off me if I had gone up a size.

that could be. I didn't measure mine before soak cause I was too excited and forgot. but i did measure my brother's pair and his were 1/2" larger than tag size. Mine are pretty snug at the waist but I think they'd be fallin off me if I had gone up a size.

erk, did they shrink much, i take it these stretch pretty much back out

i have had lots 33's and they always stretch back out, ive just ordered waist 36 in these i hope they aren't too big

The standard history of Levi's always states that the rivets on the back pockets were covered in 1937 to avoid scratching saddles and furniture. While I don't doubt this rational since the covered rivet detail must cost more to execute than the exposed version, I was wondering if anyone wearing an LVC reproduction of an early model with exposed rivets has actually scratched a piece of furniture or anything else. Sometimes I think I must be crazy when I put down a towel before sitting on my leather-covered dining room chairs!

scratched my chairs with me 201s.

I could be wrong, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they actually sell at that price or higher. Salesmen samples are pretty collectible. It will be interesting to watch.

Here's something you don't see every day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280419749880

A pair of 201 salesman samples, weighing in at 16 inches outseam length. Tiny, vintage, rare, and adorable! too bad the seller wants $4000!

Here's some pics of the pair of real Big E's I picked up last week in a huge size of 42x36!

They're from 1966-1971. They also have a metal inside rivet and copper on the outside... anyone know this one?

They're currently on ebay.

DSC08183.jpg

DSC08199.jpg

DSC08198.jpg

HH

They first introduced this rivet combo in the early sixties I think -

for a while they still had the copper hidden rivets in the back pockets too.

Although the rivet-head style changed over the next two decades, they still kept the copper colour head with the silver colour base (up until early-mid '80's)

Here's some pics of the pair of real Big E's I picked up last week in a huge size of 42x36!

They're from 1966-1971. They also have a metal inside rivet and copper on the outside... anyone know this one?

They're currently on ebay.

DSC08199.jpg

I like those diamonds in the arcuates that cross over the lines. Those seem to be somewhat common in true vintage Levi's, but the LVCs always seem to have the corners of the diamond meet the lines of the lower arcuate line. The diamonds that cross over look a little more handmade to me, which I like.

Yet another sizing question. I've been reading this thread but have missed some pages and searched but didn't find the info.

Does anybody know what the inseam shrinkage is on the 2009 1947? I need to end up with a 33x32 so I was planning on getting a 34x34. A lot of accounts I've read said that the 47 inseam shrinks 2.5-3" but those were all past years models. Just wondering if this is also the case with this years? Thanks.

thanks or the info Dr...

and thanks Air... I wish I could actually wear them... Just my luck I finally find a nice pair of Big E's and they're too big! I'll probably use what make from them put towards either a pair of of the 15's or 27's or a pair of semi dress from whites...