Levi's Vintage Clothing

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I want to get serious with denim since all I've been working on for years are STF's. And my question is, would the '47's be a good fit for someone who has big thighs but skinnier below the knee? Or is there a better one that would fit me? Thanks for the help guys.

What are you looking for in a vintage jean? If you are looking for an authentic cut then the 47 is not your jean. Its also narrow in the thighs than the 55 which is a very authentic mid 50s cut.

I'm looking for something that has a little room on the top block, not too much, but can be narrow below the knees something that's slimmer than the older 501's. I mean I don't have really big thighs but i just don't want to get something too tight around the thighs so I won't have to worry too much about a blow out.

Guest jbone45
Thanks for the help. Those won't be too baggy right?

I'd get the 1955's if you can find your size. I never could find my size in them or I would have purchased them. The 1947's would be way to slim fitting for you.

thanks for the info on this page, i'm looking for a loose cut and thought the 47 would be a good pick. but according to this page, 55 would be a better pick? because i have the 54's and those are a very slim/skinny fit. i assume there is a huge difference between the 55 and 54?

thanks for the info on this page, i'm looking for a loose cut and thought the 47 would be a good pick. but according to this page, 55 would be a better pick? because i have the 54's and those are a very slim/skinny fit. i assume there is a huge difference between the 55 and 54?

Yep the 54s are not an accurate cut (to trim) the 55s are.

I tried searching but didn't have any luck, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. But does anyone know when Levi's moved from using cotton thread to the more modern cotton/poly blends we see today? I know a lot of Japanese brands use cotton thread and I was wondering how authentic that is given the range of years in their reproduction lines.

My 1915s "hanging out" after an initial warm soak in the tub.

That;s gotta be the most fun foto I've seen on this board - classic. How the hell you do that? I mean they look like they're standing up on their own dancing some funky SUFU denim jig...lol! Amazing too how they've retained their luster after soak - good sign of quality denim. After they dry, let us know how much total waist shrink? Thanks.....

I wear 31 actual waist. Hmmm, so if jbone was able to score a size L30(32) x W34 from cultizm, then I might be able to get by with the same if they shrink a minimum of 1''. That's great news, now I can get me a pair. Just curious though, did you get your actual waist size, size up or size down?

How should I go by sizing with LVC's if I sort of want a slimmer fit instead of straight since most of my STF's are more on the straight fit? And btw I usually wear 31x30 on 511/514 but buy 32x32/33 on STF's. I apologize for all the noob questions but I just want to make sure since I am going to invest a lot of money in this. P.S. I forgot to mention before on those other questions that my thighs are more athletic than they are fat :o.

I'm between 31-32, so I got a 32...I'm happy with the way they fit me.

I wear 31 actual waist. Hmmm, so if jbone was able to score a size L30(32) x W34 from cultizm, then I might be able to get by with the same if they shrink a minimum of 1''. That's great news, now I can get me a pair. Just curious though, did you get your actual waist size, size up or size down?

Guest jbone45

The 30x34 would fit a size 31 just about perfectly in my opinion.

okay dudes, i hope someone here can help me out for i don´t wanna open a new thread: i´m searching for a jacket that somtimes came across, but i don´t know what it is called or whos the producer, i only can tell that it´s made from dark brown/olive wool, nearly loden and i guess that it is

scandinavian millitary jacket, but i couldn´t find it now :( here is a link

to jacket that looks like it from the cut, look at the big back pockets:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mens-medium-black-cotton-apc-jacket-margaret-howell-y-3_W0QQitemZ320418499378QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMen_s_Clothes?hash=item4a9a6e4b32&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks a lot!!!

Ok, don't know if this is the best thread for it but...Was hoping for some sizing help. I'm looking to get a pair of -47 501's, what would be the best size for me if I usually wear 30x32" -67 505's? I'm worried that the 32x34 might be too baggy & the 30x34" might not stretch out enough in the waist after shrinking...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ok, don't know if this is the best thread for it but...Was hoping for some sizing help. I'm looking to get a pair of -47 501's, what would be the best size for me if I usually wear 30x32" -67 505's? I'm worried that the 32x34 might be too baggy & the 30x34" might not stretch out enough in the waist after shrinking...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

follow the LVC sizing advice. If you are getting the raw then I suggest you get the 32x34 and shrink it down by washing hot and drying Hot. Better for your jeans to be slightly bigger because you can always shrink them down as opposed to buy them your size @ 30x32 and have them shrink too much they don't fit you. Anyway, my 2 cents. Good luck.

recent purchasers of the 1947s have found that they are nolonger undersized and according to paul T measure tagged size ( a 32w measures 32") and if I remember correctly some have received pairs that were oversized.

If you are a 30" waist I recommend purchasing the next larger size, which from cultizm is the 32. The thighs on the 47s can end up quite slim. Inseams should be accurate, get a 34" inseam.

Alright, I've been reading through this thread trying to get a consensus on shrinkage and can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I am thinking of picking up a pair of 1870 XX (Oldest Oldest) in rigid (STF). A pair of jeans that fit me well post-stretching measure 34"W with a 12" front rise. The pair I'm thinking of buying are tagged 34W, but measure 36.5". 5% shrinkage (according to oki-ni) would get me to ~34.5"W, but that doesn't account for later stretching. Would you say 5% is accurate, or could I expect more with a super hot soak and dry?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jbone and ShortyLong, Thanks for the 1915 size/fit info. I'm not going to pull the trigger on the '15s though. Going to hold out for the f/w 09 run to hit the US stores. In addition to same info I got from LS&CO cust service a wk ago, I got a response from them yesterday via email saying that f/w 09 lvc (including 1915) will be available in US sometime in early 2010 at Levi's stores and online store. With 2 sources from Levi's telling me the same thing, I'd say it's pretty much a sure thing that lvc is back in the US in 2010.

Cheers!!!

Guest jbone45
Alright, I've been reading through this thread trying to get a consensus on shrinkage and can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I am thinking of picking up a pair of 1870 XX (Oldest Oldest) in rigid (STF). A pair of jeans that fit me well post-stretching measure 34"W with a 12" front rise. The pair I'm thinking of buying are tagged 34W, but measure 36.5". 5% shrinkage (according to oki-ni) would get me to ~34.5"W, but that doesn't account for later stretching. Would you say 5% is accurate, or could I expect more with a super hot soak and dry?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Zissou, as I don't have a pair of the 1870XX I couldn't give you an answer about approximate shrinking. However, the best advice I could give you would be to order from Dejan at cultizm.com - I looked and I think they have the size you're looking for.

Guest jbone45
Jbone and ShortyLong, Thanks for the 1915 size/fit info. I'm not going to pull the trigger on the '15s though. Going to hold out for the f/w 09 run to hit the US stores. In addition to same info I got from LS&CO cust service a wk ago, I got a response from them yesterday via email saying that f/w 09 lvc (including 1915) will be available in US sometime in early 2010 at Levi's stores and online store. With 2 sources from Levi's telling me the same thing, I'd say it's pretty much a sure thing that lvc is back in the US in 2010.

Cheers!!!

Electrum, don't get your hopes up about all the Levi's stores carrying them. The stores are ordered from A, B, C, D, and E stores. Meaning the San Francisco store and the Levi's stores in major cities will probably be the only ones stocking the new LVC. Although, I'm just grateful that they're bringing something back for us American fans.

Thanks, jbone. The pair I'm looking at are actually from a private party at a good price, which is why I'm conflicted. I almost think a 33W would be better, but then again I really don't know about the shrinkage. If I was buying full retail, I'd no doubt get them from cultizm rather than oki-ni.