Levi's Vintage Clothing

Well, considering that most of the machines and techniques utilized to make vintage denim are near obsolete, I'm not entirely sure why it's difficult to fathom the $180 asking price.

I think obsolete is a bit of a strong word. That is to say, just because the textile industry has largely moved on to higher-production machinery does not mean that the original looms could not still be produced. It's not like steel is obsolete or tool-and-die factories which could reproduce the looms themselves are gone.

That is, the obsolescence is by choice...

By obsolete, I simply mean the processes utilized are no longer at the forefront, and have been surpassed by a more productive process; one that waste less resources and produces more product. Replacing scraped machines would be an expensive endeavor, particularly just to please a niche audience.

It looked to me to be a sample that was not intended for sale. I have seen some LVC samples that use the wrong stitching, rivets, buttons, etc. just for the purpose of testing their manufacturing processes.

I have never seen a thai fake jacket, and such an obscure model to be copying would strike me as unlikely.

It's definitely a fake.

1: only Taylor Tog made samples seem to have come up for sale - not Valencia St ones to my knowledge.

2: This is absolutely not LVC denim. It bears absolutely no resemblance to the 200 series or any other LVC denim. Taylor Tog samples like the batch sold when they closed down all used the correct denim.

3: Altho, if it were a sample, all the hardware might not be correct, if they were going to use a linen patch, they wouldn't use one that, as the good doctor points out, is a lousy knock-off when they have the pukka article in stock.

The shape too looks completely wrong to me. Also there has been no attempt at the short stitch length of the originals.

Also, we have seen other Thai knockoffs with the 555 stamp, plus exactly the same black-painted copper buttons, while the linen patch models are of course a real fave for faking. And of course here they've simply used the 201 Lot Number, as used on the waist overalls fakes, rather than the correct Lot 213.

Its funny how LVC is officially harder to find in the states than japanese repros now.

Haha yes! I always thought it was funny using a german site to buy Jeans from an amercan co. Especially when they're made in the US and the denim mill that makes the denim is 2 hours from my house. It used to be even sillier when tailor toggs made lvc. Then the Jeans were completely manufactured in North Carolina.

Still, I see random people in NYC wearing Samurai and whatnot just from walking into Blue In Green. People can't walk into a store and buy LVCs anymore, around here.

while i find this annoying, levis is a big business, and i'm sure they have people with business degrees calculating the cost/benefit of carrying the LVC line in the US. if it would be profitable to do so, they would carry them, so i think it's a pretty safe assumption that it wouldn't be profitable.

besides, with all the denim addicts in the US buying LVC from cultizm, levis is still making money off of those sales.

I suspect because it was an odd question that really has no answer but since you asked for one he gave you one.

Well i dont think it was an odd question. I just wanted to know if a 1955 cut would work with modern fits as i've never tried them.

They're not skin tight they're a full cut fit. These were still considered work cloths in those days by most.

Levis can't sell LVCs in the US. Not at the volume they sell in Europe and Asia. They wind up on Levis store shelves and then in the reduced rack. In fact most managers at the Levis stores don't want to stock them because most people don't want to drop $180 on a pair of jeans. We are a very SMALL market to a giant like Levis. They send the LVCs where they sell the best.

Well i dont think it was an odd question. I just wanted to know if a 1955 cut would work with modern fits as i've never tried them.

OK, maybe the way it's phrased is confusing. "Modern fits" with a '55 cut? What's "modern fit"? The shirt you're wearing with the '55 LVC's? If that's the question "can someone wear a modern shirt with a pair of '55's?" I would think that's a question of personal taste. There really isn't an objective answer to a question like that.

They're not skin tight they're a full cut fit. These were still considered work cloths in those days by most.

Levis can't sell LVCs in the US. Not at the volume they sell in Europe and Asia. They wind up on Levis store shelves and then in the reduced rack. In fact most managers at the Levis stores don't want to stock them because most people don't want to drop $180 on a pair of jeans. We are a very SMALL market to a giant like Levis. They send the LVCs where they sell the best.

I just hope the market for LVC holds up in other parts of the world so it's still available at all. I have an unnatural attraction to those arcs and tabs!

I just hope the market for LVC holds up in other parts of the world so it's still available at all. I have an unnatural attraction to those arcs and tabs!

Yeah me too. Funny though one of my favorite LVC don't have any arcuates. The 1911 333 are just KILLER.

I'm really liking the way the 1917 501s are breaking in. Only 3 more month to the first soak and they are looking incredible.

Can a 1955 shape worn true to size work with modern clothing ?

The short answer is yes. You will need to size down, though. With your actual waist size, these give a 50s kind of look, surprise surprise - look at the photos of Mickey Spillane on this board for an idea.

For a more contemporary, skinny fit, you should probabyl go for a measured size one inch less than your normal waist; if you're brave, size down two. The waist should stretch out, the thighs won't be too tight., and the legs will be pretty slim.

I do it everyday.

I wear em true to size, I have a size 30, and I'm a true 29 waist. They aren't that full a cut, but they're extremely flattering on me.

AF. I Agree, the denim on the 1917's is out of this world, and it's very different from anything else Lvc has produced - This denim has the same ' special feel ' about it that the 201's (555) have. Feels old somehow.

Got my eye on a pair of 201xx's from '98 - maybe wear them raw, as you suggested (turn my furniture blue!)

Am also REally looking forward to the 1915 c/c due out later this year.

Mmm, they sound great. Are they the ones with the quite narrow back pockets, Doctor?

I was examining the denim on my older 1901s the other day... I hadn't notied before but the weft is slightly ecru - Kurabo are a little bit sneaky, they use white thread on the selvage so you don't notice. But the ecru contributes to a very distinct, vintage look. I think they do the same on the 201 fabric, too.

I remember PaulT saying something about giving his '47's a "hard wash" got the best color (or colour out of respect to Pauls noble English heritage) out of them. Is a "hard wash" putting them through the hot cycle in a washing machine?