Levi's Vintage Clothing

Its an earlier jacket than the 422a the M422 and only the Gordon and Ferguson 422a had the larger right pocket and the pencil slot. The Willis & Geiger M 422 had very short arms. This GW 422 the Monarch was a close copy to an original Monarch that John (GW) has and I think you can order one right now. It also has normal slleve length. I should be getting mine VERY SOON.

Its an earlier jacket than the 422a the M422 and only the Gordon and Ferguson 422a had the larger right pocket and the pencil slot. The Willis & Geiger M 422 had very short arms. This GW 422 the Monarch was a close copy to an original Monarch that John (GW) has and I think you can order one right now. It also has normal slleve length. I should be getting mine VERY SOON.

Looking forward to seeing the fit-pics...

Was saving for an Eastman M-422a. Theirs is basically a G+F repro with an Eastman label. Now with that Monarch...Hmmm...food 4 thought.

A few of you Guys asking me to post more detail pics of my Lvc collection..Will do as soon as I have time, but for now:

009-3.jpg

Early repro 1873 1st blue jean in Natural indigo, and inside pocket bag -

010-3.jpg

And now, this pair which are now in the Guiness Book of Records (most expensive jeans ever):

026-1.jpg

027.jpg

Check out the pocket bag!

028-1.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the fit-pics...

Was saving for an Eastman M-422a. Theirs is basically a G+F repro with an Eastman label. Now with that Monarch...Hmmm...food 4 thought.

This is better addressed in the flight jacket thread, but the Eastman jacket, while quite nice, actually misses a few details. Their mouton, and their jacket bi-swing construction are not accurate to original M-422a's.

Though it is a lovely jacket.

-Jake

The Knappave seems to be just abother name for the Nevada jean - the Knappave example, presumably named after where it was found, is supposedly a similar date, but cut off - Information is limited, because Lynn Downey doesn't seem to know about them.

More info on my 501 FAQ, or here on the 501 visual guide thread: http://www.trynka.net/Site/501%20Nevada.html

The book is cool - they are availale pretty cheap, too.

Actually, you made a brilliant juxtaposition of the two.

The jeans in the illustration are the 'Nevada' workwear jean, not the XX, which was essentially the 501 and had the normal (not raised) watch pocket. THose Nevada-style pants have only every been found, AFAIK, with the early patch (which I assume is featured on those Japaese jeans); but that illustration suggests they might have been produced with the bigger, 2-horse patch (the stitching looks liek that in your jeans), and therefore that the Nevada-style jean might have lasted into the 1890s .

Paul, how did you wash these in order to give them "a harder wash" ?

For the last few months I've been a bit down on the recent 1947 - almostnice commented his recent ones hadn't kept their indigo as well as his earlier ones, and I was thinking the same.

WEll, I was wrong. I think they just needed a harder wash, which really brought out the blue. So I'm pretty happy with these now, I think they're about as good as the earlier pair that I sold to beatle. Photobucket seems to lose some of the contrast of the original photo, but this is still reasonably close.

47.jpg

I'd like to order a 55 and 37 from Cultizm. With a 35-36 waist size, if I'd like a not baggy, but certainly not tight feel, would you guys recommend a waist 36 or waist 38?

I'd go with 36. I had the 38's in the 37's and wear about a 35-36. I sold the 37's cause they were just too big...

Were they still too big post-shrinkage, or did you intuitively know that they would be too big even after shrinkage?

My 37's are still loose, but I know they'll shrink once I actually start washing them. They only have a cold soak.

My 55's have one cold soak and one cold wash after a year and are a tad loose

This is better addressed in the flight jacket thread, but the Eastman jacket, while quite nice, actually misses a few details. Their mouton, and their jacket bi-swing construction are not accurate to original M-422a's.

-Jake

Yeah I ahd one of those Eastman G&F 422a's. I always liked your RMNZ 422a much better Jake.

-Jake

Yeah I had one of those Eastman G&F 422a's. I always liked your RMNZ 422a much better Jake.

I'd like to order a 55 and 37 from Cultizm. With a 35-36 waist size, if I'd like a not baggy, but certainly not tight feel, would you guys recommend a waist 36 or waist 38?

Get them to check ACTUAL size.

With previous 55, you would need to buy a 36 waist - which would really be 36 inches, but is generously cut - for ins

tance, I still have a couple of inches room around each upper thigh. The 2009 season, however are VERY oversize, a couple of inches, so you will probably need a 34. EMail Cultizm for actual measurements.

The 37 is made marginally oversize, so I would personally go with a 36.

Quick Question:

I found a pair of LVC 501XX 1947's for 185 USD is that a good price? If not what is?

Thanks in advance.

That's standard retail. But the sale ones mentioned earlier are all gone, anyway, and not many US stockists carry them, so that's still a decent price - clutizm are $179 plus postage from Europe.

Guest jbone45
Quick Question:

I found a pair of LVC 501XX 1947's for 185 USD is that a good price? If not what is?

Thanks in advance.

What size are you looking for? $185 is real steep.

The beautiful thing about Dejan is the 1917s I ordered on a Monday and I had them in my hands Wednesday. To Chicago from Europe. AMAZING. I can't get stuff delivered from Indiana that fast....

I can't understand with his selection and price why anyone would order LVCs from anywhere else.

Aeroleather are quicker and cheaper, but only if you live in the UK. Dejan is a good bloke, but Cultizm is expensive. Aero's stuff is like £40 cheaper! I order by 2pm at the latest, the item is delivered the following morning (depending on crap Royal Mail) and I'm trying it on by midday at the latest.

Actually, you made a brilliant juxtaposition of the two.

The jeans in the illustration are the 'Nevada' workwear jean, not the XX, which was essentially the 501 and had the normal (not raised) watch pocket. THose Nevada-style pants have only every been found, AFAIK, with the early patch (which I assume is featured on those Japaese jeans); but that illustration suggests they might have been produced with the bigger, 2-horse patch (the stitching looks liek that in your jeans), and therefore that the Nevada-style jean might have lasted into the 1890s .

Thanks Paul, well I have been in this game for nearly 30 years ya' know (denim obsesiveness - that is). The stories I could tell...

Actually, you say that the illustration in Lyn's book is not of the (501)XX, but it is exactly the same as the 1886 Repro (501)XX from 2005. There's no 'pliers' pocket, so it cant be the nevada/knappave workwear style. Also the script on the left on that page is referring to the two horse patch being put on the jeans(in 1886)

So what do you think?

The Knappave seems to be just abother name for the Nevada jean - the Knappave example, presumably named after where it was found, is supposedly a similar date, but cut off - Information is limited, because Lynn Downey doesn't seem to know about them.

More info on my 501 FAQ, or here on the 501 visual guide thread: http://www.trynka.net/Site/501%20Nevada.html

The book is cool - they are availale pretty cheap, too.

Thanks for that, although I thought those 1880 levis (japanese mag) were different from the Nevada and the phantom "oldest-oldest" due to the fact that they had sew on buttons, rather than press on ones.

You can see a clip of the Guy who owns these (and some more oldies) on a YOU TUBE clip. Just type in "vintage levis".

Thanks Paul, well I have been in this game for nearly 30 years ya' know (denim obsesiveness - that is). The stories I could tell...

Actually, you say that the illustration in Lyn's book is not of the (501)XX, but it is exactly the same as the 1886 Repro (501)XX from 2005. There's no 'pliers' pocket, so it cant be the nevada/knappave workwear style. Also the script on the left on that page is referring to the two horse patch being put on the jeans(in 1886)

So what do you think?

Just briefly. the "nevada' style jeans has the wide hem on the back pocket, plus the raised watch pocket - it's those details (and, as far as we can tell, the central patch) that distinguish them (and the duck version) from the XX (or the early 501). That illustration (which could well be approximate) has the raised watch pocket. Details like the ruler pocket and rivets might vary, but they still seem to be an alternate model from the 501. This is all from incomplete information, and waht we know is changing all the time as new examples are discovered.

As far as the LVC models... you can't really trust them, they have various alternative takes on the early models, not all of which can be true.