Levi's Vintage Clothing

I hope Dejan can give me some advise in sizing,too. I'm normally a 32 in Levi's pre-washes, so I think a 34 should be fine. And I planned to soak them while wearing. But it will take several weeks till the 555s arrive.

So there are '47 501's and 555's? Or is the 555 a typo?

'555' is a reference to a factory code that indicates where the jeans were made...this particular code refers to the Valencia Street factory that opened up in the early 1900s, which Levi shut down back in 2001/02.

Ah, Thanks. So does that mean they would be deadstock '47's?

Ah, Thanks. So does that mean they would be deadstock '47's?

IN this case, yes.

Because the 555 produciton were the last jeans made in Levi's old factory, that's a big deal to some people . And others don't care. The new ones are contracted out to other manufacturers in the US but are essentially identical.

IN this case, yes.

Because the 555 produciton were the last jeans made in Levi's old factory, that's a big deal to some people . And others don't care. The new ones are contracted out to other manufacturers in the US but are essentially identical.

I was just looking at Cultizm's site and the '47's don't say they are 555's but they do describe them as rare deadstock.

I noticed J. Crew has been selling LVC '47's for $265. That's interesting. They also seem to sell some sanforised selvedge from "one of Japan's oldest and most renowned mills".

I noticed J. Crew has been selling LVC '47's for $265. That's interesting.

They're not LVC - search this thread for more info, I believe theyu're the MExican made Ltd Edtion selvage STF, sold at a huge markup.

That's if you're referring to these $265 jeans:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/MensBrowse/Men_Shop_By_Category/denim/selvedge/PRDOVR~13639/13639.jsp

Edit: Electrum, the 1901 and 1917 are both COne, in Europe at least. The 1922 is Cone - the model marks the point at which Cone started supplying the fabric exclusively.

My comments regarding use of Kurabo on '17 model are based on info found on this blog:

http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/2008/12/lvc-wrath-dust-ss-09-mens.html

Hmm, So EU lvc versions will/might differ from US? Maybe then the US version '17 will be Kurabo w/ natural indigo? Your thoughts?

Cultizm did have some Valencia St. Factory made 1947s on their website a few weeks ago, but I think they sold out pretty quickly.

they sure did. they had 1 pair left in a 30x38 and listed them up last week and I was able to get it. They sell them under LVC 1947 "special sizes"

after a hot soak they were ridiculously tight, still trying to stretch them out a bit, but i do recommend cultizm. Dejan is very easy to work with, he even notified me when my size was available

They're not LVC - search this thread for more info, I believe theyu're the MExican made Ltd Edtion selvage STF, sold at a huge markup.

That's if you're referring to these $265 jeans:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/MensBrowse/Men_Shop_By_Category/denim/selvedge/PRDOVR~13639/13639.jsp

That's them. Wow, not LVC but some weird Mexican made thing and for a lot more money. I don't get Levi. I was wondering why they looked so much different than the '47's on Cultizm.

A couple of interesting things about those Levi '47's at J.Crew one is this weird statement:

"this is Levi's reissue of the original 501 from 1947" I don't know what that means "original 501 from 1947" but I'm probably nitpicking the other thing is it also says "yes, it's still made in the USA" so maybe they aren't Mexican made for what that's worth.

My comments regarding use of Kurabo on '17 model are based on info found on this blog:

http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/2008/12/lvc-wrath-dust-ss-09-mens.html

Hmm, So EU lvc versions will/might differ from US? Maybe then the US version '17 will be Kurabo w/ natural indigo? Your thoughts?

Arrghgh sorry, mistake, I posted the opposite of what I meant ot say, as posted on the 501 thread here and elsewhere, these early jeans are all Kurabo. AS i stated in the next sentence, Cone only strated supplying the denim exclusively for the 501 in 1922 - ie, Kurabo tend to produce all the fabric that was originally made by Amoskeag. It's interesting that there might be a 1917 model made by Cone fabric but that sounds like a one-off.

Again, I'm sure the 17 will not be made of natural indigo in the US, it's definitely not in Europe, and the US range looks to have a smaller produciton this year. I would like them to do a really good natural indigo early jean but there's nothing on the cards right now.

That's them. Wow, not LVC but some weird Mexican made thing and for a lot more money. I don't get Levi. I was wondering why they looked so much different than the '47's on Cultizm.

A couple of interesting things about those Levi '47's at J.Crew one is this weird statement:

"this is Levi's reissue of the original 501 from 1947" I don't know what that means "original 501 from 1947" but I'm probably nitpicking the other thing is it also says "yes, it's still made in the USA" so maybe they aren't Mexican made for what that's worth.

Welcome to the world of marketing BS! The model is vaguely based on a 47 but isn't as accurate as the LVC versions.

Again, I'm sure the 17 will not be made of natural indigo in the US, it's definitely not in Europe, and the US range looks to have a smaller produciton this year. I would like them to do a really good natural indigo early jean but there's nothing on the cards right now.

Wait, so these IS going to be LVC in the U.S. in the future????

... these early jeans are all Kurabo. ...

...Again, I'm sure the 17 will not be made of natural indigo in the US, it's definitely not in Europe, and the US range looks to have a smaller produciton this year. I would like them to do a really good natural indigo early jean but there's nothing on the cards right now...

Okay, I understand now, thank you Paul. Well, at any rate, I'm eager to check out the Kurabo denim. It's too bad they won't be natural though. Although I didn't like the 1873s, the one thing they had going for them was the natural indigo. Neat stuff, they looked like they were dipped in the Atlantic Ocean w/ a briny blue-green tint whereas most synthetic looks like they're dipped in the Pacific. Pricey threads for the natural though, and I'm not sure if something like that would sell very well with the global credit markets in such turmoil right now. Maybe next yr...

There appears to be much conflicting information about J. Crew's Levi's. Partytaco, you're correct, the Tribeca J. Crew men's store is selling a one wash (thay call it dark rinse) 1947 501 for $185.00, I just picked up a pair. I live right near the store, when they opened up back in September, thay had the same pair of jeans, but with a double-sided small "e" tab. I posted that info on Styleforum, but no one seemed to believe that such a thing existed. Anyway, I cannot verify as to whether J. Crew's website is selling the same pair or not, but the clerk told me this was the case, thay just price it differently at the Tribeca store. The fit for a 32/32 in J. Crew's version fits me almost identically as the LVC 1947 501 deadstock 32/34 I purchased from the Levi's store in Soho back in December of 2007. Also, none of the Levi's stores in Manhattan have LVC right now (and I went to all four of them today), nor does Barney's on Madison Avenue. if anyone is interested I will post pics, but please be patient with me, this is my first post and I'll attempt to figure out how to load images.

you remember me on SF? I didn't believe you that the jeans on the website were LVC. I still find it hard to believe. But if you can post pictures of your 'jcrew' jeans, including the tags, maybe we can finally figure this out. I still stand by my opinion that these are just the $98 STF 501 selvage that levi's carried in their stores last year. Nothing special.

Well, there really would be no way to verify if the jeans they offer on their website are the same as the pair(s) I purchased in store, as I can't tell you what would come in the mail if one were to order those. But the pair I purchased today are indeed LVC 1947 501 in a one-wash state, the same pair that Partytaco stated he saw at the store a few posts back.

the double sided small e 501s you saw are def not LVC. Thats the "premium wash" $98 made in Mexico jerky leather patch selvage jeans that i'm talking about. The ones you posted pictures of def do look like LVC. Don't know what to think, but Jcrew is misleading people if they advertise it as LVC (unless of course, they are talking about the pair you bought)

The double sided small "e" 501s (photos of which can be found here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=35424&page=20) were indeed an LVC type jean. Everything (hidden rivets, coin pocket selvedge, etc.) is the same as on a pair of LVC 1947 501, right down to the fit. AFAIK, these are the only one-wash/rinse 1947 501s that are available. Levi's (supposedly) produced these exclusively for J. Crew, much like Red Wing produced a version of the Irish Setter for J. Crew. The first batch they produced, however, had a small "e" tab. Again, I can't tell you what would arrive if you ordered a pair from J. Crew's website, but if you look at the product description, it does say made in the U.S.A., although it also says "import", so who knows. I'm tempted to order them just to see what they send me, and then return them.

I think we're talking about two different models?

The one on the website is definitely not LVC:

Wrong leather patch details (says 501 not 501XX)

Wrong stitching (Pale yellow around the pockets, should be orange)

Bar tacks rather than hidden rivets

and, most tellingly, the hems are single stitched rather than chainstitched.

This is in addition to the little e tag. Hence I would doubt that these are made of the correct Cone (it looks different in the photos), so they're more a version of the so called Limited Edition standard Levi's rather than anything to do with LVC.

Those other jeans looks like LVC, but were bought from a store, right? Because they seem completely unrelated to the website pair.

Agreed, Paul T. I was informed, however, the photos on the website are of a "prototype". The production for J. crew might not have been completed, as the photos were most likely taken well in advance of when they first appeared on the website last autumn. The photos would indicate the Mexican made 501s, I understand. But it wouldn't be the first time J. Crew gave a product description or provided photos that were completely misleading, and not at all the actual product.

As an aside, I love your book, Paul T, and page through it often for inspiration.

Guest jbone45
There appears to be much conflicting information about J. Crew's Levi's. Partytaco, you're correct, the Tribeca J. Crew men's store is selling a one wash (thay call it dark rinse) 1947 501 for $185.00, I just picked up a pair. I live right near the store, when they opened up back in September, thay had the same pair of jeans, but with a double-sided small "e" tab. I posted that info on Styleforum, but no one seemed to believe that such a thing existed. Anyway, I cannot verify as to whether J. Crew's website is selling the same pair or not, but the clerk told me this was the case, thay just price it differently at the Tribeca store. The fit for a 32/32 in J. Crew's version fits me almost identically as the LVC 1947 501 deadstock 32/34 I purchased from the Levi's store in Soho back in December of 2007. Also, none of the Levi's stores in Manhattan have LVC right now (and I went to all four of them today), nor does Barney's on Madison Avenue. if anyone is interested I will post pics, but please be patient with me, this is my first post and I'll attempt to figure out how to load images.

Definitely not interested in seeing pics of your hideous jeans. You absolutely get the darwin award for getting those p.o.s j-crew jeans.

1920 201 555s just are up for auction on ebay along with several other 555 models from the same seller with some listed as "samples". I'm wondering if they are legit? Although I'm a novice, they seem suspect to me -- just something funky about them, tag details etc... Thoughts anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-Big-E-LVC-Jeans-Vtg-201XX-New-NWOT-Buckleback_W0QQitemZ130290741776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MC_Jeans?hash=item130290741776&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

Guest jbone45
Wait, so these IS going to be LVC in the U.S. in the future????

No, LVC is never going to be sold at Levi's Only stores ever again. Anybody who tells you otherwise is absolutely wrong. I know this information because I work for Levi's.

1920 201 555s just are up for auction on ebay along with several other 555 models from the same seller with some listed as "samples". I'm wondering if they are legit?

Yes, they're legit.

Definitely not interested in seeing pics of your hideous jeans. You absolutely get the darwin award for getting those p.o.s j-crew jeans.

What was wrong with the jeans he posted (as opposed to the ones on the website)? They're LVC, with or without errors.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1683328&postcount=3009

No, LVC is never going to be sold at Levi's Only stores ever again. Anybody who tells you otherwise is absolutely wrong. I know this information because I work for Levi's.

Ah, and you describe Levi's jeans as hideous, does your boss know?

The fact that LVC isn't available in Levi's outlets /= LVC USA is discontinued. I don't claim to know for definite, but isn't it the case that outlets like Farinellis will be stocking them?

The fact that LVC isn't available in Levi's outlets /= LVC USA is discontinued. I don't claim to know for definite, but isn't it the case that outlets like Farinellis will be stocking them?

Mauro (Farinelli) keeps insisting that he continues to stock LVC, but he currently has no stock, can't tell us when he's getting a new shipment, nor can he tell us exactly what he will be stocking, what he's ordered, etc.