Levi's Vintage Clothing

I

...It might be that they're pulling the line from the US and that this is known at the retail/distribution end. But I haven't heard a word about the line being pulled.... /quote]

It should come as no surprise, since Levi's misrepresents their LVC products on their online store by consistantly listing the denim weight as much heavier than it actually is. Not to mention the inconsistant quality, sizing, construction and ridiculously high prices ($501 being one of the more extreme examples) coupled with piss poor customer service. Apparently the EU and Asian markets are much more gullible than the US market. (?) That's not to say that Levi's does not offer some neat quality stuff (ex., the 201 just posted by 'PaulT' appear extraordinary as well as a pair of '33s I have that are very fine), it's just a timely and costly hit or miss game trying to find the right LVC jeans and I think most folks don't have the time, patience or wherewithal to deal with all of that crap.

...well done .. again ... yawn.....

why dont you surprise us somteime , honestly the negativity is jut so ..... wasteful .

the pre-distressed version of the 606 Super slims from a season or two ago wasn't bad at all. I'd say try to find the 1955 "handrolled" 501s, I thought they looked pretty good for a pre-distressed jean.

Edit: I just looked them up and I don't really like the handrolled 501s and the 606s are really old so I doubt I could find them.

Any other suggestions?

Following are some pics of '33s I've had for a while - worn only a few times. I know I bitch a lot about LVC, but only for good reason. However, these '33s are a nice pair of G'damn jeans. I've even had comments from a couple of young women while in public -- they freak out like, "hey excuse me, where did you get those jeans...they are so cool!" Smooth 10oz. (Cone?) denim w/crisp finish, yet very 'slubby' and soft turned inside out. Colour is beautiful gunmetal blue w/ a dazzling luster that you can even see in pics. Comfortable as hell w/nice detail - the highly stylized Levi's eagle arcs are a great touch. No defects to speak of other than NRA tag missing. The cheap metal anodized patina-wash modern buttons stick out like a bad afterthought though -- pissed me off (almost tryed to sell them for that, but now glad I didn't) otherwise a super pair of threads. Worth the $123 (ebay)price ? I think so -- considering the apparent quality of the denim. Will see how they hold up to mild breaking-in. The flare is a bit too wide for any type of heavy work- at least for me:

Following are some pics of '33s I've had for a while - worn only a few times. I know I bitch a lot about LVC, but only for good reason. However, these '33s are a nice pair of G'damn jeans. I've even had comments from a couple of young women while in public -- they freak out like, "hey excuse me, where did you get those jeans...they are so cool!" Smooth 10oz. (Cone?) denim w/crisp finish, yet very 'slubby' and soft turned inside out. Colour is beautiful gunmetal blue w/ a dazzling luster that you can even see in pics. Comfortable as hell w/nice detail - the highly stylized Levi's eagle arcs are a great touch. No defects to speak of other than NRA tag missing. The cheap metal anodized patina-wash modern buttons stick out like a bad afterthought though -- pissed me off (almost tryed to sell them for that, but now glad I didn't) otherwise a super pair of threads. Worth the $123 (ebay)price ? I think so -- considering the apparent quality of the denim. Will see how they hold up to mild breaking-in. The flare is a bit too wide for any type of heavy work- at least for me:

Nice jeans , great pics . cheers . However as much as i like pre war Levis (and Lee etc..) I just never dug and never will dig suspender buttons !!!

bought a pair of levi's 501 1978

they fit me really well in the raw state so im hesatating to give them a initial soak (cause they're unsanforized).

has anyone experience on these ?

Fit pics? I've been looking towards these for a while.

I'd imagine they react like any others, just a boiling soak to get the shrinkage out, etcetera..

Anyone know anything about a "Special Edition" pair of rigid 1944 501s for this season? They have them a Cultizm. It looks like they're the only retailer that has them and seems they just kinda came out of nowhere.

Here's a link...

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p348_Levi-acute-s-reg--1944-S501XX-Jeans-Rigid---Special-Edition.html

Anyone know anything about a "Special Edition" pair of rigid 1944 501s for this season? They have them a Cultizm. It looks like they're the only retailer that has them and seems they just kinda came out of nowhere.

Here's a link...

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p348_Levi-acute-s-reg--1944-S501XX-Jeans-Rigid---Special-Edition.html

"delivered with a special bag and booklet "501-The Evolution of the Jean"

Anyone know anything about a "Special Edition" pair of rigid 1944 501s for this season? They have them a Cultizm. It looks like they're the only retailer that has them and seems they just kinda came out of nowhere. .

Here's a link...

"delivered with a special bag and booklet "501-The Evolution of the Jean"

The denim seems to be lighter weight, too.

me got the same 33s, they are really nice but i don´t like the selvage on em... the japenese version from 08 looks even better btw.

I know you have a pair -- I bought this model based in part on your praise of this jean on this thread. I'm too much of a novice to recognize the different variations of selvage, but I like to think that I know quality and value when I see it. Like you, I believe these jeans are nice. Can you explain the down side of the selvage on the '33s so I'll know what to look for while I'm shopping for my nxt pair?

Thanks

I've just dug out my copy of the s/s 09 booklet. THe booket is itself magnificent, based on Dorothea Lang'es dustbowl photos, and shot in Dungeness - beautiful photography and styling.

There's a raw 44 in there which must be part of the standard range. Pocket material is herringbone. Can't see a distressed or Limited Edition version.

There's also a drop dead brilliant 1920s Sack Coat in a distressed finish. plus some excellent chambray shirts and a wonderful 1930s brown leather jacket, the Menlo. Raw jeans include the 1880 (same as 1886), 1901, 1917 (new, aka the last Amoskeag jeans), 1927 (the first Cone jeans), 1933 (with NRA tag), 1937, 1944, 1947, 1954 (looks same as 55, paper 2-horse tag), 1966, 1978 and 1983 (the last selvage). Distressed jeans include an 1980, Buried Wraith, 1923 Khakis, 1937 Barren Land, 1947 Frayed Dry (very pale), 1954 Rootless, and 1966 roadside. The 505 is still in there, raw and distressed.

Lot 66 are lovely bibbed overalls, distressed finish, again those quirky jeans that Japanese makers (with the honorable exception of Warehouse and Real McCoy) rarely attempt, and which LVC get little credit for.

Fuck all those doom-mongers, this is an excellent collection, I can't wait to see it. Electum will be pleased to know that the new 1901 has the correct leather patch ( I know, those little errors can be irritating). Almost certainly this is the best LVC range of product I've seen since the 2003 one.

I know you have a pair -- I bought this model based in part on your praise of this jean on this thread. I'm too much of a novice to recognize the different variations of selvage, but I like to think that I know quality and value when I see it. Like you, I believe these jeans are nice. Can you explain the down side of the selvage on the '33s so I'll know what to look for while I'm shopping for my nxt pair?

Thanks

I don´t have any clue about the selvage thing with 33s... but I would recommend a pair of 44s, those are really nice jeans with maybe the best denim used in the LVC line, I´have three pairs of em from several years... but of course there are not 100% correctly repros(there are a lot of variations in at original pair though)for it got a two tone yoke stitch which is not authentic but with rest... maybe you should go woth japanes lvc which seem often more authentic, especially the leather patches are great on em.

The ones on cultizm that are "Special Edition" are raw too...the only thing that stands out is that they appear to have the different front pocket material (which is rarely the case with the usual LVC '44s) and they come in a bag and with a booklet.

BTW...I saw an authentic "Menlo" jacket almost exactly like the one in this season's rage on ebay about 6 years ago...I regret not bidding on that one.

There's a raw 44 in there which must be part of the standard range. Pocket material is herringbone. Can't see a distressed or Limited Edition version.

There's also a drop dead brilliant 1920s Sack Coat in a distressed finish. plus some excellent chambray shirts and a wonderful 1930s brown leather jacket, the Menlo. Raw jeans include the 1880 (same as 1886), 1901, 1917 (new, aka the last Amoskeag jeans), 1927 (the first Cone jeans), 1933 (with NRA tag), 1937, 1944, 1947, 1954 (looks same as 55, paper 2-horse tag), 1966, 1978 and 1983 (the last selvage). Distressed jeans include an 1980, Buried Wraith, 1923 Khakis, 1937 Barren Land, 1947 Frayed Dry (very pale), 1954 Rootless, and 1966 roadside. The 505 is still in there, raw and distressed.

Fuck all those doom-mongers, this is an excellent collection, I can't wait to see it. Electum will be pleased to know that the new 1901 has the correct leather patch ( I know, those little errors can be irritating). Almost certainly this is the best LVC range of product I've seen since the 2003 one.

I've just dug out my copy of the s/s 09 booklet. THe booket is itself magnificent, based on Dorothea Lang'es dustbowl photos, and shot in Dungeness - beautiful photography and styling.

Lot 66 are lovely bibbed overalls, distressed finish, again those quirky jeans that Japanese makers (with the honorable exception of Warehouse and Real McCoy) rarely attempt, and which LVC get little credit for.

a lot of pieces from ss09 as well as fw08 are going to be collectibles.

pics of the full ranges on my blog for those who haven't seen.

anyone know when the levis stores will be stocking LVC again? i checked out all the ones in NYC and they only have last seasons shit with limited quantity on the extra clearance racks.

It seems that the US stores are not going to be stocking LVC stuff anymore, or at least that is the rumor. If you go to the US site there is no longer an LVC section, which is the first time i've ever seen it disappear completely from the site.

to me its really not that big of a deal. the levis store near me didn't ever stock anything cool in my size (w34 and L36 - who would think that an american would possibly want an inseam larger than 32") its just about as easy to use www.cultizm.com as it is to use the levis website, and even the levis website didn't have any of the LVC stuff on it besides those crappy predistressed 1901s and the predistressed 1966s. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed on this though and hope that it makes a comeback. I had kinda felt it coming though...