Levi's Vintage Clothing

I've got jeans that have never been in a washing machine. I usually try and go 6 month raw before the first soak then maybe every few months they'll hit the water.

I do see why people would do that, but I like the feeling of clean jeans. I'm going to be on a monthly soak with my Sugar Cane 1955s and I think they'll turn out well. I'm not looking to get super-high contrast.

Paul: how many soaks between the full washes?

I think I gave them two hand washes, pretty much proper ones.

I do tend to keep washing to a minimum - handwashing gruby bits in between major washes with laundry soap - more because I like the look of dark denim. To me the best moment is when they're just on the turn. Somewhere on here is a photo of my 55 after one wash, when they're a real smokey black. That's the moment when every pair of denim looks really different... when they're washed a few times, however good they are, they look more similar. My 55 and my 1901 are not too different now.. whereas six months ago they looked entirely different.

I noticed a few monhts ago that Dr Heech (much missed - where is he?) commented that some LVC have the wrong rivets. He's correct, or at least some of the early jeans look wrong, they have round-topped rivets where they shouldbe flat-topped. (Like the 1890 pair omn the visual guide). According to Lynn Downey, the rivets are probably the same,. but the method of application changed. Pre 1927 or so, rivets were probably hand-hammered. After that, the were applied by machine,. and were round-topped.

Here are photos of my 1901 through the ages. As you can see, I converted my late rivets into earlier ones. One quick bash with a hammer does it.

Maybe one hand wash. In real life these were really dark.

Levis1901detail.jpg

Levis1901f.jpg

Second hand wash:

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

And today:

Before wash (check out yer new-look rivets)

1901dirty.jpg

After wash. Squeaky clean.

[1901cleanlap.jpg

just a little crosspost.

these are my 3+ year old 47's, marked "554". tagged size 34, i'm a "natural" 32ish.

8fb59546.jpg

crotch and one pocket bag repaired by the most esteemed salaami, the other by yours truley.

probably post another evo shot once they get another wash.

Haven't had the chance to go through every message in this thread, but I've looked at a lot of them. Haven't seen anything about the '78 501s. Any thoughts on them? The woman I'm currently seeing is into my denim, and likes the '78s since they're what she wore back in the high school. So, I'm thinking about getting a pair. Would heavy weight '55s be a good way to describe the fit of the '78?

Nice 47s, Lendo. And the hounds, too.

Setterman (is there a theme here?), the original 78 were very 'carrot-shaped' - tapered down to the leg and up to the waist, with a reasonably high rise. THink Sting. THey're also a unique dye for LVC, with sulphur, which probably means they fade more quickly. They're vaguely like the 55 in the leg, main difference is the backside is much more shaped where the 55 is noticeably antifit.

I don't know how well the LVC replicates the original look as I haven't tried them, but raw the finish looks authentic.

If I can find photos I'll post em. More info, and dimensions, on the 501 visual guide thread.

Nice 47s, Lendo. And the hounds, too.

Setterman (is there a theme here?), the original 78 were very 'carrot-shaped' - tapered down to the leg and up to the waist, with a reasonably high rise. THink Sting.

Looks like she's going to have to live with my 40s and 50s cut jeans! (which isn't a problem)

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Chaps,

I've finally managed to get my new broadband sorted. Sorry it's taken so long, I moved into a new flat after my B**** of a wife just walked out in June taking our Son with her. I wont go on, but suffice to say it's been a shock followed swiftly by a lengthy nightmare which is far from over. As a consequence, I had to sell alot of my collection - including nearly all my original stuff, which of course took years to find. Gutted !!

Really good to know I was missed by you guys, especially Airfrog, Paul T and Fardin. Just trying to get on with life now. Good to be back, so much to catch up on just this thread alone!

went through a similar situation 10 years ago,but no kids were involved.Heech,i am glad that you are back,kinda feeling bad that i didnt realized your absence,you are one of my favourite posters in this thread,not dropping any more names here,too many to mention,but you all know who i mean!

Haven't had the chance to go through every message in this thread, but I've looked at a lot of them. Haven't seen anything about the '78 501s. Any thoughts on them? The woman I'm currently seeing is into my denim, and likes the '78s since they're what she wore back in the high school. So, I'm thinking about getting a pair. Would heavy weight '55s be a good way to describe the fit of the '78?

I have some 78's coming for the LVC contest. If you can wait till december I'll have fit pics then I'm sure.

It seems like 90% of LVC's I see (as well as my own) have a couple of wrinkles above the right knee that always fade real nice. Anyone else notice this? Is there a name for it that I haven't picked up on?

Here's a pic I saw of Crownzip's '37s that have them.

heliIf.jpg

Guest sneekylyric078

i usually wear a 32w should I get a 34w in the 1947's? even if I can get my hands on a pair from the 09 stock which is suppose to be true to to the tagged size?

i usually wear a 32w should I get a 34w in the 1947's? even if I can get my hands on a pair from the 09 stock which is suppose to be true to to the tagged size?

They're undersized one inch, e.g. W34 tagged is measured W33. I've ordered my pair in 33/36 (my regular size is 32/32).

As the risk of repeating myself, go from measured size, not nominal. Most 47s are undersized one inch, spring 09 were true to size. Email Cultizm to check the size of their current stock.

(Perhaps I should add this phrase to my sig).

Second this.

I received some 2009 47s from cultizm. They were a tagged 36 and the waist measured ~36.5 inches. I had to exchange them.

When I talked to cultizm they indicated they had some 2009 stock and some of the undersized older stock.