Super Xmas gifts for GF family?

ColdTurkey

I am going to run through things that I've bought gf's parents in the past:

1.) Board games - brings family together, helps cement you as a non-scumbag

2.) http://www.tasteofcheese.ca/store/product/THE%20MYSTERY%20CHEESE%20BOX-335/ + a nice bottle of wine shows you're not a classless chump (you can do one red and one white. i endorse white Chateauneuf de Pape and Cote Roti for your red if you can find them)

3.) planning christmas is a huge chore. Offer to cook lunch for the family if you're having dinner with them later. You can leave a material item like a service platter or a set of wine glasses (and as perviously mentioned, a bottle of wine to fill these with will always be appreciated).

4.) something charitable. i don't know many people who are averse to getting a card from someone saying you've donated $150 to feed a small child in africa for a year (though I'd tend to avoid religious associations where possible, for PC reasons)

Get them a simple turntable, maybe something vintage / used if possible so it doesn't come off like you dropped huge cash on some scene stealing present. Point being tho, the parents probably still have stacks of vinyl from when they were young, and your GF and any siblings would probably be stoked to collect new stuff also. They can build a collection together, and you can occasionally bring records by that you think they'd like...plus side is older used vinyl is cheap as fuck, like $2 / ea. You can easily get a solid turntable for $100 or less.

If you'll be with them this year, will they be preparing anything new especially for you? My in-laws started serving roasted asparagus the first year we were dating, because it's a favorite of mine. For that first Christmas, I knew it was coming so I gave them a new serving platter for it in their china pattern.

4.) something charitable. i don't know many people who are averse to getting a card from someone saying you've donated $150 to feed a small child in africa for a year (though I'd tend to avoid religious associations where possible, for PC reasons)

Wow, i would have never thought of that. i will definitely keep this one in mind as a potential present in the future.

1.) Board games - brings family together, helps cement you as a non-scumbag

just pitched this to my gf and we both agree that it's an excellent idea and we will maximize the potential of this idea on christmas eve game night