General wiring / hookup / how to superthread

OkayOkay

Might be nice to have a thread for misc wiring / hookup / compatibility, etc questions. Like a small questions thread for supertech...

To start...I'm trying to hook up a Technics SL-1200MK3D turntable to an Onkyo TX-SR304 and don't have a specific spot for the ground wire. I'm an idiot with this kind of stuff...

The wire I'm trying to hook up:

img0484ad.jpg

and the options on the receiver:

img0485ky.jpg

img0486fs.jpg

img0487cm.jpg

I thought there would be a specific "ground" screw or connection, but I'm not seeing it?

Can I just loosed a chassis screw and hook up there?

I know...this is too simple and I should just know.

halp.

okayokay

dont connect it to a chassis screw unless you want your receiver to melt. instead, connect it to some wood that is touching the floor. unless your floor is a carpet, which then all bets are off.

magnetic

soldering wires is alot messier than a pcb. i think a headphone is less than 6-layers so i would say don't go over 400C/700F and that it should take less than 10seconds (and no more than 15) to melt most solders. also the right flux can make the biggest difference---so shop around.

• 2 weeks later...

this may be the wrong place for this but I didn't want to start an entirely new thread for this. Anyone have any suggestions for replacing a Blackberry screen? I just came up on one from a friend but the screen is cracked to shit. I know there are a few on amazon but they seem a bit sketch.

thanks

^i used www.missionrepair.com for my phone. their lifetime warranty came in handy when i cracked the screen a 2nd time.

but i found them thru google so im sure there are others. plus it might be cheaper to just get a new phone

ah didn't see someone actually replied to me!

i managed fine in the end, though i still have no idea about flux and that - just copped the cheapest off ebay. I think it shows, that or i'm really crap at it (naturally), because tinning didn't really do anything but make the tip of the iron darker and smokey :eek:

I will say, it makes you want to solder more things though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

okayokay

I could be wrong here as it could be for grounding something other than a turntable, but there is a 'ground' symbol pointing into the AM antenna slot. Can you try sticking the ground wire into one of those slots/ doing what blm14 said and soldering a bit of wire onto the ground wire and then putting that into that slot.

Edited by mnkey

thanks for the replies everyone, way appreciated.

Is anyone using Miro yet? http://www.getmiro.com/ It seems like BitTorrent isn't working with PirateBay anymore, and they recommended Miro. I downloaded an album through PirateBay and it shows up in my Miro library, but when I try to play the album it just advances through and plays the next song in my library (which I imported from my computer).