railcar fine goods

kayodic

How are people sizing on their Railcars - and has anyone picked up the 'new' James X014 cut?

I've seen it stated a few times through this thread that they are true to to size - but I can't see how this is possible when by measurement they are all 2" over tagged. TTS to me implies that they measure across the waistband what they are tagged as.

cheers..

The X021 I ordered a couple weeks ago I actually requested to be done in the James cut & Steven was happy to oblige. I didn't go TTS for precisely the reasons you identified; since I wanted a 35" waist I ordered a Size 33 as per their size charts. Since they are a special order they're taking a longer to get to me, but I'll post a follow-up once I have them. 

How are people sizing on their Railcars - and has anyone picked up the 'new' James X014 cut?

I've seen it stated a few times through this thread that they are true to to size - but I can't see how this is possible when by measurement they are all 2" over tagged. TTS to me implies that they measure across the waistband what they are tagged as.

cheers..

Hi! TTS for Railcar sizes the same waist as Levis.

If you like it snug (break in snug) then you can size down 1. TTS will have the same waistband fitment as a Levis. 

To get that with these looks like needing to drop down a size or two from normal.. though I couldn't manage the leg in anything smaller.

I hear you. The drop in leg measurements as you move down in waist size is pretty steep.

I probably could have sized down one more to a 32 (34.5" waist / 12.5" thigh), but I wouldn't want to go any smaller in the leg regardless of what my beer gut measured on any given afternoon. I think part of the issue were noticing is that the James doesn't really appear to be its own cut, but just a scaled up version of the Spikes (at least that how the size charts look to my eye). So, aside from the rise and how that affects the fit in the waist and top block, the shape/silhouette of the leg from thigh to hem still resembles that of a slim fit.   

TTS to me implies that they measure across the waistband what they are tagged as.

This is my understanding too. A size 32 that actually measures 34.5" at the waist would be considered "vanity" sized by most of the denimheads I follow here on the forum (vanity because I get to claim I'm a 32 & therefore sound thinner than I actually am). 

The good news is that Steven has provided a detailed size chart and according to the Info section on the website measures jeans in the same basic & familiar way that BiG does. So, I'm putting my trust in the chart and not worrying about ambiguities in terminology. 

Hi Steven, thanks for replying. 

Just to give a bit of a visual example, with my current unsanforised jeans, the majority measure in washed / shrunken state as they're tagged, e.g...

Size 33

16088220247_c650d249e7_c.jpg

Measuring 16.5" across 

16086548278_bf70245d9d_c.jpg

From the Railcar size charts though that would appear to reflect a tagged 31 in the X014 for example. 

I just wanted to check I was in the right ball park here.. I'm eager to see yours Everton when you get 'em!

Totally, it's sort of a moot point when the size charts and measuring method are provided anyway! 

I think your going to want a tag size 30. A tag size 30 should measure at a 16.5. The 31 is measuring at a 17.

hoggreaser, et. al.,

I'm happy to report that my James cut X021s arrived today and that their measurements are exactly as indicated by the size charts on the RFG website. 

The X021 kuroki fabric is really beautiful, and the craftsmanship and overall build quality is exceptional. Not a stray thread or a wonky stitch to be found anywhere. Hats off to Steven and his team.

I've given them a 15 minute warm soak and left them to hang dry for the rest of the day. I know they're sanforized, but I have come to appreciate an initial soak on all my denim to open up the fibers and release excess starch before I start breaking them in.

I'll try to get some pics up in a week or so. In the meantime, I'd say this fabric is very accurately captured in these shots by the folks at BlueOwl (this is the women's viper model, but the same fabric: http://blueowl.us/product/railcar-fine-goods-viper-x021-1425oz-kuroki-selvedge-denim/#

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

are there any RFG stockists in San Diego?  thanks!

We have Lone Flag. They have a couple of styles. Spikes X015 and also the Japanese denim trousers 

So we came out with a firmer hold of our water-based pomade. And its firm. Same great scent just with firmer formula. Available on our site. http://www.railcarfinegoods.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1893

Supreme Hold. Firm hold, medium shine.

post-018.jpg

Also our Standard Hold. Medium hold, medium shine. Still a great hold. Same product as our current. 

post-017.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man the detail and construction of those new Spikes X021 in photo #3 are insane!

They are! Yeah, we put what we got on them. The sewing is super detailed because we make them in-house and we all keep an eye on the quality of the stitch. Thanks for the kind words!

So here is our new style. We just finished up a few  of these. We acquired this fabric a few years ago. Hence the reverse in style number. This is the X020. Its a hard to get Kaihara Mills denim. We ordered this fabric directly from them a few years ago. When I just recently inquired about getting more, they said they are not making it any more. So what we have is what we got. I think we have enough fabric to do two good runs with it. So get on it while you can.

The Fabric is a 14 ounce dark indigo Sanforize. It feels thicker then what it really and soft to the touch, but yet ridged at the same time.  You can see already vertical slubs on the dark indigo new. Edged with a pink line ID.

The Spikes X020 are made in our fully constructed style found in more expensive jeans with copper hidden back pocket rivets, branded copper hardware, pocketing, triple stitched seat and belt loops, ect. Made in house in our workshop factory on manual and vintage equipment in Monrovia, California and not out sourced to a big box factory. Stitching inside and out is nearly perfect.

Available on our website here for $228

Here are a few pictures.

Thanks!

post-019.jpg

post-020.jpg

post-021.jpg

post-022.jpg

post-023.jpg

post-024.jpg

post-025.jpg

Big ups to RCFG- fantastic job tapering my sammy's. couldn't be happier with the service and end result.

Thanks for letting us work on your jeans! 

cheers..

My waist is about 34" and I bought the James in a size 32.  The measurements compared to the website are accurate, and they fit really well.  The thighs are just tight enough to look nice without being crushing.  I've worn these for a few months at work and they are breaking in really nicely.  I didn't get a whole lot of stretch all around, probably because the fit was basically spot-on when I bought them.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up, we have some new fabrics just in from Japan. And lots of it. If your in, or going to be in the So Cal area, try to stop by. Ill give you a tour of what we have going on.

Another updates:

For the new 14 ounce Kaihara Japanese pink line selvedge, we are running low on the fabric. A shop nearly bought the whole supply up in the Spikes fit. TBA. But we do have some yardage left. And we could make them to order in a women's Viper fit too.

Also X021 Japanese fabric we have been running is all out. No stock left in the Spikes or Viper. Some of our retailers might still have them. Email us and we can refer you to them. The Mill in Japan has our production of more X021 due to finish for us in May. So more X021 in Spikes and Viper should be back in the works in about June time.

Also Railcar shirts are nearly here. I mean nearly.  Give us a couple of days to install the collars and they should be ready on our site. Fits true to size fitted. First shirt that will be releasing is the cotton linen blend. 

Oh yeah. We also have some Red Wing black chrome Oxfords in stock and ready to ship. Check out our website. www.railcarfinegoods.com

Edited by Steven RFG

Steven, have you guys ever come across or considered using a blend denim such as hemp? I see you're using a linen blend for the shirts, which is awesome.

Yeah, always on the look out for some interesting fabrics.

We have a few things in the works right now for future releases.

• 2 weeks later...

My waist is about 34" and I bought the James in a size 32.  The measurements compared to the website are accurate, and they fit really well.  The thighs are just tight enough to look nice without being crushing.  I've worn these for a few months at work and they are breaking in really nicely.  I didn't get a whole lot of stretch all around, probably because the fit was basically spot-on when I bought them.  

Im interested in the james as i have had problems finding quality denim with a higher rise thats not sized for ballerinas.   Can you or anyone provide any more info on them?  Cut, sizing....are the pockets large...etc....thanks

kbuzz,

As has been posted before, the measurements on the website are totally accurate. I bought a pair of the X021 fabric in the James fit in January (my first railcars). I've only worn them about 20 times so far, since I want to enter them in the DWC. I'd say the cut is more of a scaled-up slim fit, as opposed to a true straight fit or some kind of repro full cut. The James has a nice, comfy amount of room through the leg, at the knee and to the hem for me, but still has a modern silhouette. The front pockets are totally functional and the rear pockets are large, but not obnoxiously so. I do think the back rise is a touch low relative to the front rise, but that might just be a matter of how they fit on me. I've got a few other pairs from Leftfield and Rogue Territory, which I like for various reasons, but I find the craftsmanship on my Railcars to be the best in my collection. Hopefully, the James will work for you.