A.P.C.

jeepster

Here are my APC New Standards.

They've been worn to death for about 3 months more or less. Deciding when I should give it it's first wash, the smell isn't too bad because I unleash the fumes of axe on it every so often.

Any opinions would be great !

You gotta keep waiting man. Give it another 2-3 months, then throw 'em in on a cold soak with a pinch of soap.

yeah i know, but I was talking to the owner of one of the denim shops around here (the place where I got my new standards) and he was telling me that a lot of people do a cold soak being afraid hot water will shrink the denim or something, but since APC's are sanforized, there's no reason not to do a hot soak.

plus, hot water cleans better, and isn't that all soaks are really good for?

cold will shrink the denim as well, just not as much, but you're right---there's a point where it doesn't matter, since they're sanforized.

and i don't really think soaks are good for cleaning, honestly. you need to brush or agitate to remove any significant dirt or whathaveyou and soaking doesn't really do that.

on the fence about this.. wanted a new pair of apcs, i have a sz 30 NS with a year and some change on them but they stretched out a bit too much ( i want something a bit slimmer), i wanted to go to a sz 29 NS but everywhere is sold out, so i purchased a sz 31 NC to try, but not sure the taper is too much for my big thighs, though im not sure if they will stretch out to look acceptable. (drumstick status right now)

keep or return?

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

i went 3 sizes down on my NS and posted a picture up on here, and they looked like your NC's, sized down 3. aha. maybe a little bit looser, and got neg reped. :P but anyways, mine have stretched out a lot, but i'd like for them to stretch out a bit more.. (they look decent) i've been wearing them for about 6 months now.

return them. get a size 29 NS when they do a restock. :)

Guest chiquita_chaser

@Trident01 -> I would suggest PS also. They're the perfect thing between NS and NC.

@Lintmunro ->

cold will shrink the denim as well, just not as much, but you're right---there's a point where it doesn't matter, since they're sanforized.

and i don't really think soaks are good for cleaning, honestly. you need to brush or agitate to remove any significant dirt or whathaveyou and soaking doesn't really do that.

Was about to ask advice on how to treat my 5 months-old and really dirty petit standards. I guess you are right about the soak no really cleaning anything. But would you agree, that it's better than nothing? Considering I don't have money to dry-clean and I won't wash them for another couple of months at least....

Guest chiquita_chaser

And by the way -> I searched around on the forum, but didn't get any hits on "seawater-treatment", which, since summer is coming, I am pondering for my PS. Says on the washing instruction, that came with the jeans, to:

"let your jeans get dirty for as long as possible, go swimming in the ocean wearing your jeans, rub your jeans with dry sand, and repeat several times. rinse in fresh (not salt) water and let dry in the sun."

Initially when I imagined myself doing this the setting was a carribean island with no washing machines around. Actually it's kind of sad to settle for less after this vision.

Does any of you have experience with this method?

//CC

Guest chiquita_chaser
i dont know if this is bad advice but usually i'll give my jeans a five hour soapy soak first before dumping them in the washing machine (not turned inside out)and adding a cap of soap powder before setting them to wash and spin dry. i find that more dirt gets washed out this way.

I'd say it's a pretty severe treatment. You must loose a lot of dye in the process. Which is what I want to avoid here. I just wanna get them slightly cleaner to make them wearable a couple of months yet untill I feel comfortable washing them - or whatever I decide to do.

//CC

And by the way -> I searched around on the forum, but didn't get any hits on "seawater-treatment", which, since summer is coming, I am pondering for my PS. Says on the washing instruction, that came with the jeans, to:

"let your jeans get dirty for as long as possible, go swimming in the ocean wearing your jeans, rub your jeans with dry sand, and repeat several times. rinse in fresh (not salt) water and let dry in the sun."

Initially when I imagined myself doing this the setting was a carribean island with no washing machines around. Actually it's kind of sad to settle for less after this vision.

Does any of you have experience with this method?

//CC

I've done this with my finns. was a rather interesting experience for me as well as everyone else on the beach. i swam, then laid on the beach to tan and rub sand into the dirty areas of my jeans, which after 1 year of daily wear then was extremely dirty lol. and just repeat the process as long as you care for..

one thing to note, you might wind up with a pretty teriible smelling pair of jeans for a while. and when i say a while, i mean approx 2 months after the sea wash. thats about how long it took to get rid of the smell. no amount of sunning or freezing would help rid the smell.

hope this helps.

Guest chiquita_chaser
I've done this with my finns. was a rather interesting experience for me as well as everyone else on the beach. i swam, then laid on the beach to tan and rub sand into the dirty areas of my jeans, which after 1 year of daily wear then was extremely dirty lol. and just repeat the process as long as you care for..

one thing to note, you might wind up with a pretty teriible smelling pair of jeans for a while. and when i say a while, i mean approx 2 months after the sea wash. thats about how long it took to get rid of the smell. no amount of sunning or freezing would help rid the smell.

hope this helps.

Yea man, thanks for the reply. It totally helps. I guess you're talking 'bout nudie thin finns? Mmmmmm I don't have any dry nudie-denim myself. What kind of quality is the denim? And how was the result - any particular difference from machine wash? Aaaand what the hell is the deal with the sand-rubbing anyway? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand in what kind of sewage-waste do you go swimming? :rolleyes:

//CC

Yea man, thanks for the reply. It totally helps. I guess you're talking 'bout nudie thin finns? Mmmmmm I don't have any dry nudie-denim myself. What kind of quality is the denim? And how was the result - any particular difference from machine wash? Aaaand what the hell is the deal with the sand-rubbing anyway? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand in what kind of sewage-waste do you go swimming? :rolleyes:

//CC

yup nudie thin finn organic dry ecru embo. was my first pair. oh its more like a soak since no actual soap is used, and the sand is to rub out any persistent dirt/stains. was a pretty nice electric blue, one could say a bit of the ocean added to the colour.

and the sea was crystal clear.

sorry about this sizing question but in the year i've been browsing the apc thread i've never seen a direct answer

according to the front page, i should size up one from ns to nc. is that correct? (size down 2-3 for ns, and 1-2 for nc, so i think sizing up one from ns to nc is reasonable)

is there anybody with both that can confirm this or otherwise?

my true waist is around 32, i wear 29 in ns and 30 in 19cm, so i should go for a 30 in nc?

this is the fit of my 19cm that i like

Photo0332-2.jpg

also, at what size do the inseams go from 34 to 36? I think size 30 is still a 34" where 31 is a 36"?

Gravity Pope has a pair of New Standards with black warp and very dark grey weft, and green and red selvage or something funky like that. Anyone know any info on them? Dunno if they're raw, they're $230 CAD there, same as the raw ones so who knows what they're really worth. Pretty nice details on those though.

sorry about this sizing question but in the year i've been browsing the apc thread i've never seen a direct answer

according to the front page, i should size up one from ns to nc. is that correct? (size down 2-3 for ns, and 1-2 for nc, so i think sizing up one from ns to nc is reasonable)

is there anybody with both that can confirm this or otherwise?

my true waist is around 32, i wear 29 in ns and 30 in 19cm, so i should go for a 30 in nc?

also, at what size do the inseams go from 34 to 36? I think size 30 is still a 34" where 31 is a 36"?

Go for a 31", the inseam is still 34.