Lets Talk Sandals.

greentea

RAINBOWS guys, they only cost about 40 to 50 bucks and are stylish and comfortable as hell also, raindows are also like raw denim, the mold with your feet after a time of wear. looking fing nice and fing comfortable

christos... they make ur feet feel like ur in heaven...

Can someone please explain what the logic is behing buying "sandals" that cover your entire goddamn foot? and look like you're wearing an ankle brace to boot?

I'm sorry, I mean, I know: "eye of the beholder . . . " and all that shit, but those things aren't even sandals. and they aren't even a clever design. not an attack on you, hamham, but more a reaction to everyone in here saying "ohmigod yougotta get those visvim chrisssstos theyare teh dooopest!!!"

because, they just aren't.

oh, ps- if you need a good visual of the ankle brace:

ankle_brace_180.jpgchristodesert_blk_1.jpg

Have you ever even tried them on?

tried on ankle braces? yeah, when I break my ankle.

those visvim's? no, because I haven't broken my ankle THAT badly.

but seriously- c'mon man, we are ALL critical about things we've never tried on. that's why it's called a MessageBoard, not a "IhavetrieditonandhaveatotallyindisputableopinionBoard."

I've seen them in person though, for what it's worth, and they still look like ankle braces. More importantly though, they cover your whole damn foot, so you might as well have a shoe on.

• 3 weeks later...

since everyone has probably been irrevocably convinced that christos are not the way to go, any regretful owners in a sz. 9.5-10.5 can PM me and I'll give em fifty bucks for them. Hell, it sounds like I'd be doing them a favor. (plus I wouldn't exactly complain given how comfortable my other visvims are).

Personally, I don't think any sandals carry an amazing aesthetic, at least for guys, and perhaps the similarity between the lower structure of the ankle brace and the christo reflects the support and comfort that is by definition part of any brace constructed for medical reasons. They are a damn sight better looking than crocs, and in terms of footwear that can be comfortably worn all day long while standing/moving around, I'm pretty sure the visvims beat most sandals out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Pics of the zurichs as requested, Superbobo. Love these, not as ubiquitous as Arizonas, fair amount of coverage, soft soft suede and styled like the Desert Christos.

3.jpg

1.jpg

This is a pic of them on Miura from Pledge, was kinda inspired by him. Which reminds me, don't you have a nice Tenderloin denim jacket? Could see you pulling off this look.

4.jpg

thanks! looks cool. How did you size them?

yea, got the tenderloin jacket, and would possibly wear it with sandals :) I really like how alot of japanese people wear sandals with repro/vintage kind stuff , really interesting mix that seems unsual here.

i have to channel my inner glenn o'brien and say that imo flip flops in public are not a good look unless you are on the beach, poolside or in a locker room. my favorite sandals are prada with wide brown straps across the front and middle and another loop coming from the middle of the strap and buckled around the ankle. the sole is a lighter brown leather with a 1/4" heel that can be replaced ad nauseum - had em for 7 years and still going strong.

Problem with Birkenstocks is that they have to fit exact, due to the concave design, heel cup and the Arch which will mold to your foot. I had to size down slightly from my usual size of US8 (which I was told translated to a Eur 41) to a 39. They ought to cost less in Europe as I got mine here in Singapore for about 110 USD or so.

"I really like how alot of japanese people wear sandals with repro/vintage kind stuff , really interesting mix that seems unsual here."

Yeah I get what you mean. It's almost like with workboots - the leather of Birkenstocks serves well in place of them though with a more casual and comfortable vibe. Sometimes, you just gotta let those toes breathe.

proteus

interesting with the sizing. when i tried on birks in store i actually had to size UP from my normal us 12 to us 13... I guess different feet need different sizing.. Since i havent bought any yet, its left to see how they feel with some wear.

some plain arizonas are around 90 USD here, so not alot cheaper. Planning to get some from ebay.uk myself.

Think the design is kinda more narrow so that may be it. Would have thought it would be cheaper over there but i guess that's the price to pay for "anatomically correct" sandals. But yeah, think the Zurichs are the nicest of the lot, though the Athen would work if you're after some 300 style sandals!