The Definite Guide to Cheap Good Things

kvc06

Everyone seems to love those columbiaknit caps but me. They're giant, shapeless, and cotton--not what I'm looking for in a knit cap. Surplus, wool watch caps are preferable, if scratchy (try any army-navy store), and carhartt knit caps are great if you don't mind acrylic. These caps are the reason I can never justify spending like $80 on a watch cap unless it has a crazy knit or fabric comp.

Define expensive. As mentioned upthread, Uniqlo are pretty good and cheap--generally better than what you can get in an avg American mall for the same price or a little more.

Brooks Bros slim fits (made in US, oxford cloth ones) when on sale (they do like 3 for 150 or 2 for 100 or something once in awhile) are prob the best value out there, but they're pretty long if you're looking for untuckable type OCBDs

Define expensive. As mentioned upthread, Uniqlo are pretty good and cheap--generally better than what you can get in an avg American mall for the same price or a little more.

Brooks Bros slim fits (made in US, oxford cloth ones) when on sale (they do like 3 for 150 or 2 for 100 or something once in awhile) are prob the best value out there, but they're pretty long if you're looking for untuckable type OCBDs

Thanks for the response! I'll check that out, and it looks like I might have to proxy after all.

Everyone seems to love those columbiaknit caps but me. They're giant, shapeless, and cotton--not what I'm looking for in a knit cap. Surplus, wool watch caps are preferable, if scratchy (try any army-navy store), and carhartt knit caps are great if you don't mind acrylic. These caps are the reason I can never justify spending like $80 on a watch cap unless it has a crazy knit or fabric comp.

Likely only applicable to Canaidans, but Marks Work Warehouse sells 100% wool knit watch caps, made in Canada for $15 Under the Wind River label, less if you can snag a coupon. I find them less itchy than some of the surplus ones, and at $15 you cant go wrong.

Roots (Canadian, possibly some in US, online) has really decent oxford cloth shirts on the cheap, WHEN they have them. I'd say better quality than Uniqlo, with arms to fit someone who's not Japanese. Solid fit, ok fabric, the white is the best deal (thickest fabric). Availiablity is super shakey, but they're $60 regular and usually can be had for $30 or so.

Likely only applicable to Canaidans, but Marks Work Warehouse sells 100% wool knit watch caps, made in Canada for $15 Under the Wind River label, less if you can snag a coupon. I find them less itchy than some of the surplus ones, and at $15 you cant go wrong. Roots (Canadian, possibly some in US, online) has really decent oxford cloth shirts on the cheap, WHEN they have them. I'd say better quality than Uniqlo, with arms to fit someone who's not Japanese. Solid fit, ok fabric, the white is the best deal (thickest fabric). Availiablity is super shakey, but they're $60 regular and usually can be had for $30 or so.

Sounds good! Going to go do some research now. Well, I happen to be part Japanese with a slim build; but I'm sure these shirts will fit fine. Thanks for the tip.