Why do people keep selling their shit?

arby2001

I've been a lurker on some forums for now and the one thing I realise is that everybody is trying to sell their shit.

It's most prominent here on sufu, and there's arguably much less of a marketplace vibe in sf.com (etc...), but I want to ask, why do so many people do this?

I have attempted to sell things before (although never actually SOLD them), but when I do, it's because I made a bad judgement call and bought the wrong size, so it's practically brand new. Still, alteration is my first try, unless it has zips in the way.

Fair enough, people in some places can't always get what they want easily (although LVR/Antonioli etc. should always be the first stop). So it's nice that some people are offering these brand new stuff for less.

But why are most items used sneakers, jackets, faded raws, etc? I don't get why anyone would wear someone else's clothes. It's disgusting. It's one thing to wear hand-me-downs, but it's another to pay hundreds of bucks for it to be shipped over from Mr.unknown. Also, it's hard to believe that people have several pieces of expensive clothing that don't fit them just "lying unused in my wardrobe". I mean everyone makes couple sizing mistakes, but when you're selling 5 of them, well - hard to believe.

When I buy a product, no matter what, I mean to keep it as my very own and make it last as long as possible. I may be the last person on earth who does this, but I only buy a quality product that I truly want, and not with a view to sell it to someone else in a year for god knows what reason.

I dont know man. I just buy a shitload of clothes that I end up never wearing, because I have so much already or just forget that I bought it.

Theres so much people like me on here, that I buy half of my crap from people with the same issues like I have. How's it disgusting if some du worn this jawn for one or two days and now, after washing, I will be wearing it. Way back I used to be able to wear shit that I couldn't afford at all by just going over ebay searching for worn designer jawns.

For me, its a way to fund future purchases which will most likely be spent back into the sufu market. Paying hundreds of bucks on some 'used jeans' is exactly why I buy it, because those same jeans would probably retail for over half a grand on rakuten, far from my spending limit.

I do find it interesting when I see the same article of clothing being bought and sold continuously on sufu, shifting hands from one member to another. I like to think of it as a 'lending' program since those holy grail items are hard to come by..

For me, its a way to fund future purchases which will most likely be spent back into the sufu market. Paying hundreds of bucks on some 'used jeans' is exactly why I buy it, because those same jeans would probably retail for over half a grand on rakuten, far from my spending limit.

I do find it interesting when I see the same article of clothing being bought and sold continuously on sufu, shifting hands from one member to another. I like to think of it as a 'lending' program since those holy grail items are hard to come by..

well most people learn to live with stuff they can never have, and if something were a holy grail, then why would it even be sold?

let's get it out of the way, yes, i do have some pretty high end stuff, and i'll probably be getting a pair of augustas next after some part-time work. I could buy them second hand and have a lot more of em, but it just doesn't feel the same...the boots for example have moulded itself to someone else's foot, not mine.

i don't consider myself a very rich person, so when i work for something that i really want, there is a tendency to treasure it more.

Well, if you put it like that, this discussion can go on in an endless circle.

I applaud your hard work for your augustas boots. Would you like me to lower my self esteem by explaining how I'm so self conscious.That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches. I can't even pronounce nothing, pass that versace!

If you lurked properly you wouldn't need to make this thread pointing out you have realised this forum is largely about buying and selling jawnz used and new.

As for #usedconcept sale items here.. people sell them because they want money. People buy because they want to own them. Heard of Ebay? Imagine listing your items for free with less hassle. That's (a large part of) sufu.

It's actually as simple as that. I am guessing that's why you have made sale threads here yourself?

If you say you don't believe sellers here when they claim a number of sale items are unused that is just your opinion and / or loss. There are many highly reputable sellers here that would take offence to that generalization. Surely you can apply your circumstances for your sale threads to many others?

I can understand that you like to pay retail for things and I can see the benefits but it's just like you said; most people in supermarket don't for reasons that shouldn't need to be pointed out.

Thanks for sharing your opinions from lurking tho (10)

nah, that was not really what i was insinuating. i mean there is always a certain element of risk when buying from an unknown person online, even a reputable seller would acknowledge that. but i was thinking more along the lines of that they bought stuff with the idea of wearing it for only a few months and then selling it off.

hey, it's your money, but that seems like the kind of thing only women do. i like nice clothes, yes, but like most guys I know, I don't buy and sell them to have an ever changing wardrobe of nice clothes.

idk, it became the norm. Ebay, other forum sites and even goodwill stores sell used/vintage products. People buy them because it's unique and affordable. Used shoes (visvim, jordan, nike) are brought because they all have a history, is expensive and highly sough. People probably buy used raw denim because they understand jeans will eventually fade out after many wears, so there is no reason spending a couple of extra hundred for a new one.

...they bought stuff with the idea of wearing it for only a few months and then selling it off.

as others have already stated, there are clear reasons why people sell:

- wrong size, seller lied about measurements / etc.

- buyer's remorse / realize when received it it's not your style / you don't know how to wear it

- suddenly need money for whatever reason (bills, buy newer stuff)

- don't wear it as often as you thought you would

- purchase solely to resell for profit

i don't think anyone here buys something with the intention of wearing it regularly and selling it next season

like mapclub said, if you lurked properly first this thread wouldn't exist

idk, it became the norm. Ebay, other forum sites and even goodwill stores sell used/vintage products. People buy them because it's unique and affordable. Used shoes (visvim, jordan, nike) are brought because they all have a history, is expensive and highly sough. People probably buy used raw denim because they understand jeans will eventually fade out after many wears, so there is no reason spending a couple of extra hundred for a new one.

i have a visvim mayan that is pretty beat up...i always tell myself to get them repaired one day but somehow never got round to it. :o

i really like them though. i should do it now!

idk what history you're talking about...i mean certainly they do have a history to me, but that's only because i've been wearing them for 3+ years. can't see how they have history to someone else.

thought this was a thread about why people sell shitty stuff, i.e. worst of supermarket. i regret clicking this thread.

well it can be extended into that, too. some of the things i've seen for sale cannot be pulled off by anyone alive!

One point that's not been mentioned yet is the evolution factor. People's style evolve as they get more certain of themselves and what they want to express (ie. experience). Or they are in the phase of trying to find the one "true" expression of themselves and are trying different styles and brands.

I believe most sufu members are in the process of finding what they believe is a genuine expression of their self image, and with the help of WAYWT threads gets feedback on what works or not on a aesthetic level. And when they finally do arrive: many move on or just abandon fashion for some other form of expression altogether.

Thus people sell stuff they are not happy with or feel they spent too much money on or whatever. Sufu members are in that way rejecting the more consumer approach to fashion and embracing the self expression approach.

In that way "fashion mmorpg" is actually a pretty astute description.

the truth is, when I buy stuff from supermarket I don't even wear it. I have this room that I cleared out solely to house all the items I've procured from the market. i call it the sufu museum. I display them all, categorized by usernames rather than types of clothing.

on special days, I take off all the items of a specific user and I tenderly place them on my bed. I then put on the song 2 become 1 by the spice girls and proceed to lie in the pile of jawns, burying my face into the fabric and inhaling. I immerse myself the the previous owner's essence and start to touch myself.

to answer the question of this thread, I sell my shit cos everyone probably does the same thing and that turns me on.

the truth is, when I buy stuff from supermarket I don't even wear it. I have this room that I cleared out solely to house all the items I've procured from the market. i call it the sufu museum. I display them all, categorized by usernames rather than types of clothing.

on special days, I take off all the items of a specific user and I tenderly place them on my bed. I then put on the song 2 become 1 by the spice girls and proceed to lie in the pile of jawns, burying my face into the fabric and inhaling. I immerse myself the the previous owner's essence and start to touch myself.

to answer the question of this thread, I sell my shit cos everyone probably does the same thing and that turns me on.

quoted for posterity

This thread is stupid, but gonna reply anyways. I never really touched the market for a long time, but just lately embraced it. Even though most isn't my size, I'll come up on shit I couldn't otherwise get my hands on. I don't care if it's used really. As far as selling, it's first, to make a profit, and B, to make space for new jawnz, and 3, cause I just get bored of stuff...or as someone else mentioned, my tastes have changed/evolved/devolved.

All that + Lotek really nailed it.