Warp and Weft: A Snapshot of Raw Denim in the United States (Documentary!)

DFreshLeish

Warp and Weft is a film highlighting US Superfuture members and their denim. The film will be primarily interview-based, and will cover topics like "how you got into raw denim", "why they chose the particular pair they are wearing", and "their primary interests in SuFu", among many other areas. Superfuture members can come to be interviewed, as well as show off their current/past jeans. We would love to make this film somewhat of an archive of Superfuture’s denim, and a “time capsule†of Superdenim’s members and the raw and selvage denim community today.

The film is aimed to reach both "veteran" and new denim enthusiasts. There will be a lot of info and terms used by SuFu members to educate new enthusiasts, and hopefully enough footage and interview (partly with your help) to interest some of the members who have been around for a while, including interviews with Beatle (Who, with JimmyC, has created a special edition DoubleXX shirt for the film), Kiya from Self Edge, Roy from Roy Denim, Gordon from Blue in Green, RingRing, Lynne Downey (Historian and Archivist from Levi's), Andrew from 3Sixteen, as well as many others that we are getting in touch with as time goes on. The terminology, opinions, and viewpoints will solely be driven by denim experts and SuFu members and their interviews.

We have ZERO plans or interest to make money on this film. It is being made out of our own interest and passion, and for the Superfuture community in mind. Because money doesn't grow on trees we do have a Kickstarter campaign going for the film over the next 30 days (see link below). update: Kickstarter was very successful, thanks to you all! if you would like to pre-order anything, please PM me and I will make it happen. The only thing that is not available on the Kickstarter are the DoubleXX shirts, they have all been sold! Other than that, treat the Kickstarter as the current window to the Warp and Weft store.

The film will also highlight a persons quest to find and decide on his first pair of raw selvage denim, and how the process works. He will be guided by the users and guru's we speak to as filming goes on and be able to pinpoint what he is looking for based on the expert opinions of you all.

The abbreviated itinerary thus far:

Kiya and Self Edge New York and San Francisco, possibly Los Angeles

Gordon and Blue in Green

Andrew and 3Sixteen

Roy Slaper and the Roy workshop

Lynne Downey and the Levi's Archives

Mike Hodus and Rising Sun

Spencer Lemon and Unionmade Goods, possibly Carl Chiara (Formerly of Levi's)

Beatle from Superfuture

RingRing from Superfuture and beyond...

Ashley and Ruell and Ray Denim

Steven and Railcar Fine Goods

Daniel and Feltraiger

Luke from Hartford Denim Co.

As well as these Superfuture Users (Note: if you do not see your name on this list but feel you should, you have either not contacted me or not confirmed your availability):

randomkoreandude

trafficjam

ADH92

Stacks

Face

Corporalclegg

Xcoalesce

LandoCal126

Laxlife1234

RawAsDenim

Smd

Klue

Planetarium

deadendpro

As well as others who either contacted me through regular email (And not given me their handle) or are not part of Superfuture.

As I stated before, this film is can only be made with your help by participating. If you are interested in being filmed and can meet in one of the 4 locations, please send me a supermessage or email at [email protected]. We will be shooting the footage between January and March of 2012, starting with the east-coast locations. With your email of interest, we will add you to a monthly/bi-monthly email list to keep you informed of the progress of the film, and also to serve as a reminder to you of when we will be coming to your city to film you. After all, this project cannot be completed without you!

Lastly, ANYthing you guys wish to see/cover in this film, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Either by emailing us or responding in this thread. If you have a question or statement that you think others on this board would benefit from, please post in this thread rather than messaging. We really hope to make something beautiful that you all can appreciate, and mostly have fun! Also, let’s turn this into a couple of big east-coast/west-coast meet ups! Everyone can see the pictures we all post online, but seeing these beautiful pairs on film and in person is a completely different experience.

Thanks guys (and gals), we hope to hear from you and see you in the near future.

Filming Dates Update:

january

washington, dc - tbd

new york city:

21st – 23rd

27th- 29th sufu interview shoot date: saturday, jan 28th

february

san francisco

23rd – 25th sufu interview shoot date: friday, feb 24th

los angeles

25th – 28th sufu interview shoot date: sunday, feb 26th

an email went out to people who've expressed interest in being part of this, but we still would like more participants! let me know if you'd like to be in the film! pm me or email [email protected]

Devin, Mehdi, and InnerfaceFilms.

Warp and Weft KICKSTARTER! Get cool stuff here and help with the project!

Warp and Weft on Facebook

Warp and Weft on Twitter

http://www.warpandweftfilm.com/

Edited by DFreshLeish

relatively new to the denim scene, been lurking around since my freshman year of high school in 08 or 09, was finally able to buy a real pair of raw denim in the past few weeks. this project looks like its gonna be fantastic, cant wait to see the results, $100 pledge sent...

im in LA and have a beat up pair of flatheads I'd be down to show you

Also, unless it undermines Kiya's participation for loyalty reasons or something (although they aren't REALLY competitors), I would get in touch with the guy who owns Schaffers Garment Hotel in LA. He'd be very interesting to interview and has a passion for denim as well.

Thanks for the advice. I know about Faded Blue Planet, I am not sure about the other film you are referring to. As far as I know, FBP is a look at denim in general, not specific to just raw and selvage, and to my knowledge neither is specifically focused on the superfuture community, which this film will be solely driven by. As far as we are concerned, superfuture is probably the best spot on the planet for knowledge on the raw and selvage denim subject, in addition to being the quickest link to the some of the most informed people on the subject. We wanted to make a film for superfuture members by superfuture member, so really this film is what we all make it.

Thanks for the advice. I know about Faded Blue Planet, I am not sure about the other film you are referring to. As far as I know, FBP is a look at denim in general, not specific to just raw and selvage, and to my knowledge neither is specifically focused on the superfuture community, which this film will be solely driven by. As far as we are concerned, superfuture is probably the best spot on the planet for knowledge on the raw and selvage denim subject

It is. Years of trial and error have led to a collection of individuals on here that really have such a large amount of experience with raw denim that it would be hard-pressed to find another collective of people who know as much or more.

sending pm now.

Would be great if you could encourage places like Take5, Pronto, OGL, etc, to carry your film in their stores as an educational video for both enthusiasts and new comers.

Of course that's a suggestion for very much later. Good on you for carrying this passion a few extra miles! I'll try to donate as much as I can the following month. =D

Would be great if you could encourage places like Take5, Pronto, OGL, etc, to carry your film in their stores as an educational video for both enthusiasts and new comers.

Of course that's a suggestion for very much later. Good on you for carrying this passion a few extra miles! I'll try to donate as much as I can the following month. =D

Thats an awesome idea. I was going to run something like that by Kiya, but it'd be cool to get this as far reaching as possible. Thanks for the support!

sounds dope - does that mean you would be aiming for a 2013 release?

The plan at the very moment is to finish filming by the end of March 2012, edit through April and into May, and have a final piece by May. Kickstarter supporters will receive their DoubleXX shirts by the end of November/early December. Books will probably take a little extra time for printing, and obviously cant be made until the film is done, so I would expect being able to receive a book by the end of June 2012. The DVD's/Blu-Ray will be made to order, and will be able to be shipped the moment the film is finished ~ April/May.

Thanks! That's too bad you dont like around the States to participate. If you would like the DVD or shirt or anything, go to our Kickstarter page HERE. It uses amazon checkout, which I think is global. We will certainly ship out to you. If that does not work, we can try to figure out a google checkout system. At the moment all of the DVD's and such are pay-in-advance through the kickstarter, and things like the book and shirt will NOT be available past this month.

great project...it'd be interesting to hear from some of the OG members, miz, chicken, etc. and maybe even get to see ringring's true identity?!? Wonder if I'd be able to fly out to NY to make this...Also, did you guys reach out to Gordon by any chance?

If I were you guys I'd totally use this project as an excuse to visit japan and write it off as a business expense. Would be SUPER interesting to have a walk through of both CONE and a Japanese Mill

Funny, we were just discussing that, it would be really cool but our current budget through Kickstarter just barely gets us all the money to make the film in the US. The Kickstarter only runs through November 1st, and if it doesn't get fully funded then we have more worries then just Japan, ha. Anyways, if everything with our kickstarter goes well, after this film is done we are knocking around the idea of doing a second film in Japan. First things first... Now go buy a shirt! Please?

should talk to Roy Slaper

after all he's a one man denim brand

his workshop could make for some great footage

Great idea, i'll send him an email asap, he could really add a lot. anyone know where he's located?

I'm pretty fired up about this thing :)

That's the truth! Great to have you so on board with this Jimmy!

great project...it'd be interesting to hear from some of the OG members, miz, chicken, etc. and maybe even get to see ringring's true identity?!? Wonder if I'd be able to fly out to NY to make this...Also, did you guys reach out to Gordon by any chance?

Definitely come to NY! The shooting in NY will be around mid-January to February. Ill reach out to them through SuFu. I dont know how else to get ahold of Gordon other than emailing BiG, which I just did this afternoon. If anyone else has the connects with these people, drop them a line and tell them about the project!

Thanks for all the interest everyone! Now go buy a limited edition DoubleXX shirt through our kickstarter, and you'll be supporting our film and get a DVD for free!... Or something like that haha.

We have another idea we're working on that would especially benefit a lot of the overseas SuFu users here, stay tuned for that...

Until then, here are the DoubleXX shirts that were designed for the film. Some very cool details in them. I know i've said it a million times, but thanks again to JimmyC and Beatle!

Warp-and-Weft-1-1.png

And remember, you can only get it through our Kickstarter campaign that ends November 1st!

We are pleased to announce that the elusive RingRing will be interviewed for the film. This is the most recent in a series of big "wins" for us. Thanks tho the person involved for making this happen (sorry, I wasn't sure how much I was allowed to say).

Also, Roy Slapper has agreed to be part of the film and give us a tour of his workshop. Were pretty excited about all of this and hope you all are too!

Stay tuned for more...

Aho, you should definitely make it, we'd love it if you did. As for confirmed dates, we won't be able to give specific ones until we see how our Kickstarter pans out. If it reaches it's goal by November 1st, our New York filming dates will be in January. If not, well... It's hard to say...

We hope to see you out there in January!

Just wanted to offer a quick update on the film. It was a busy weekend for us, and busy for our Kickstarter too, we're just over 90% funded! We have a bunch of big things in the works for the film that we're very excited about. I can't thank everyone enough for all your support, it looks like we'll be right on schedule to start filming in January. On a side note, even if we hit our goal before November 1st, the Kickstarter does not close until November 1st, so you have plenty of time to pre-order them and get some pretty cool swag. Dont forget, this is the only place to get the limited DoubleXX shirt, as well as the book and some other cool things.

Stay tuned...