Resume/job application advice

okonomi

I send out tons of resumes, I guess it helps finishing school with about a years worth of working experience under 3 different companies. Since for CS, school work is hardly the same as real work experience. (I have no idea what the finance is like)

It took me 4 months to get my first job(although i did have quite a few interviews), then after 7 months there, my friend referred me to this current job. I have heard of people with no experience having real trouble finding jobs.

my advice is just keep applying and dun let it get to you, i know i felt like crap two months in with no jobs where my friends all started to work.

btw. any friends that can recommend you? (this is super helpful)

i did not socialize a lot with my group of peers. :o

and all my friends i am on speaking terms with are in the science field. lol

i was really gunning for a paying job but will be starting a finance intern position instead.

true i do not have real working experience under my belt. i have above average resume (school), but that real world exp. matters a lot i suppose especially in working with finance.

of all the companies i applied to, the internship is the most relative to my degree so it has high potential. other jobs are more corporate/office analysis positions.

during these time, i think one has to find the hustle to make things work. going to intern and try to find a part-time position for the weekend so i have some spending money.

just don't feel stumped is one thing i'll say. keep working to move forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Under interests, is it a good idea to put things relevant to my desired field?

Here is the excerpt from my resume as it is now:

Interests Biking, Music, Film, Furniture and Industrial Design

None of those are relevant to my field. Would the category be better labeled as "hobbies"?

It's always a good a idea if you have interests relevant to your future work. It's also recommend to list only things relevant to your work. Everything else can be told at the job interview.

I wouldn't divide into interests and hobbies. (Not sure about it in US, but no one is doing this in Germany).

Quick question,

My GPA is a bit low (but not terrible) due to a rough first semester. Is this something I should explain in my cover letter? After my first semester I've received no grade lower than B, but judging me by only my GPA it might seem like I'm a slacker in general.

Sent in my resume and CL for the internship. It's unpaid but works perfectly into my schedule and provides great experience. Wish me luck guise, will update if anything comes of it.

I can always mention what's up with the GPA if they ask in an interview.

I have a phone interview this Wednesday with the Marketing Department of a corporate risk management firm #woop

edit: also: PM me your link if you wanna exchange connection on Linkedin. I figure the more connections the better you look amirite?

I got to the next step for the internship I REALLY wanted (pr firm) , the original one I posted here about. I'm really looking forward to this one. I have to do some sort of writing test tomorrow, no advance notice on requirements. Should be fun :)

I'm not too sure the one I have a phone interview for is what I want to be doing, but it's a good back up.

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone have any phone interview tips? i was applying for a job at Yelp, got through the first couple stages of the hiring process, then fucked up the phone interview. i use my hands and body language a lot when i talk, so i think being restricted to verbal communication makes phone interviews more difficult for me

I had an interview on Friday with a small PR firm here. It went GREAT, I mean it couldn't have went better... Only thing I'm worried about is my lack of specific experience, but I felt like I really clicked with the employees I talked to. I really want this and I think they could tell... It's unpaid but the experience I'd be getting is really priceless. I'll let you guys know how it ends up, they said I'd find out early next week.

On another note I have 2 more interviews tomorrow.

Also: PM me for a linked in add!

I had an interview with a fortune 50 company for a project manager position in their e-commerce division. I was interviewed by three people so that was pretty nerve-racking at first. But I felt the interview went pretty well. Answered every question pretty thoroughly, and had a list of tough questions for the interviewers as well. I went into it with kind of a "I don't give a fuck" mentality because I already have a job so I didn't have anything to lose. So that definitely helped me get through it. I hope I get it.

Edited by mmfood

My GPA is a bit low (but not terrible) due to a rough first semester. Is this something I should explain in my cover letter? After my first semester I've received no grade lower than B, but judging me by only my GPA it might seem like I'm a slacker in general.

what is a bit low GPA?

what is a bit low GPA?

i don't know but when i talk to lecturers who actually have work experience as executives in fortune 500 companies they all say they don't give a fuck about grades unless it's your very first job and when i talk to professors who never did anything but study 24/7 they'll tell you grades are the only thing that matters

Edited by boy better know

I've worked independently in a barbaric industry for longer than I care to think about...so I don't know how relevant my advice would be anymore. In the long-ago past, when I held the jobs of normal men, I would always request a letter of recommendation when leaving. As long as you haven't infinitely whored yourself from job-to-job, a modest stack of those from long-term employers could be a nice attachment.

does anyone have any phone interview tips? i was applying for a job at Yelp, got through the first couple stages of the hiring process, then fucked up the phone interview. i use my hands and body language a lot when i talk, so i think being restricted to verbal communication makes phone interviews more difficult for me

You'll always be at a disadvantage compared to someone interviewed in person. My advice would be: try to set-up a video-conference (through skype, google +, etc), most HR are now used to that (i'm actually surprised Yelp didn't offer, usually tech businesses are on point with this). double extra points if you can "conveniently" be around the office and offer to stop-by for a in-person interview (even if it's in another city). having a fair share of recruiting, it's incredibly difficult to truly get a sense from a candidate during a phone interview

what is a bit low GPA?

2.82 right now, it'll be over 3 by graduation or even the start of next semester possibly. My major GPA is 4.0 though so I also put that on my resume..