Resume/job application advice

okonomi

Well just a whole bunch of retail places really, ranging from bookstores to toystores (nothing special). There's a QBD at Chermside advertising a position which I'm mostly interested in though.

Are you the one who works at Dirtbox or is that SDES?

lol

internships > jobs

nowadays?

well, there are more available non-paid internship than jobs. Also, with an internship, you can gain skills to put on your resume even if you aren't paid. More internship experiences especially in related field will result in better future landing of a great job. So yes, internship is greater than a job nowadays.

Sort of. There's a handful of legal requirements to make sure it's not total slavery, but they're quite vague. Basically the employer has to prove that there is some benefit to the intern (usually credits) and that they aren't performing work normally reserved for a paid employee.

is it appropriate to ask a professor for an internship opportunity for the upcoming summer, when you are not enrolled in his class?

Absolutely. Study up on his work/research and show interest. Even if he doesn't have something for you, there's a good chance for you to get referred to one his colleagues.

Kinda off-topic but whatever,

Anyone here work in Advertising, primarily the creative side? If so, would you suggest going to an ad school such as Miami Ad school, Portfolio Center, VCU Brandcenter, etc or is it just a waste of time and money?

anyone have experience cold calling recruiters?

I've done tons of cold emailing to set up calls/informational interviews.

Some people just call directly, but I personally don't do it because it feels a bit weird. With email, you can at least first introduce yourself and let them know what you want and set up a time where he isn't busy. Downside to cold emailing is that these people get tons of emails and oftentimes overlook yours or just don't care. However, if you're very confident and personable, even to a complete stranger, cold calling could be your best bet.

Do you have any specific questions about cold calling?

Help me out!

I have an interview at the Tech Museum of San Jose (marketing internship) and I need help with a few things. What to wear??? And what questions you think a museum would ask me. Its a marketing internship and I will be helping out the marketing department with whatever they ask me to do. That is all I know about the internship.

THANKS

Navy/Grey suit -- check uniqlo Tasmanian/+J

Black Captoe (Allen Edmonds for cheap on the bay, or go to Nordstrom sale)

Matching tie of your choice, would stay with plain neutral color, navy, burgundy. Check out Nordstrom Rack near you for some decent ties for great deal.

I've been in the same situation as many of you guys these past few months: just graduated from a university, mediocre experience, sub-par GPA, above average university, etc. but i can certainly tell you that interviewing/resume is definitely a game you gotta play. after understanding the basic core of what i planed to say, i got a job a few weeks after. i didnt really read through all of this thread, but ill share a few things i learned from my job hunt process:

1. cater your resume around the job you're applying for.

without a doubt, this is the most important thing you should be doing. honestly, 99% of your internships/work experience, etc. can bring out a certain quality about you that is related to the job you're applying to. for

for example, the job i work for is a software company and im the account manager....one of the resumelistings i put down was that i was an assistant wedding photographer. obviously, this isnt related whatsoever to sales or software, but what i said during the interview was that i learned thad i had to represent the company, i had to be professional because i am a direct result of the head photographer's success, and i had to make people comfortable when i interacted with them for the first time, a quality that you need for an account manager....

2. specifics. list those detaisl

honestly, without details, your resume looks so normal and it wont stand out. for exmaple, if you helped tutor kids, write down and tell them what you did. tell them that you tutroed an X amount of kids, what subjects you got, and tell them your results.write on your resume that you helped their grades go up by a half letter grade- people like specifics, so write down specifics on your resume

3. for weakness, i would highly recommend saying something related to putting too many things on your plate and not realizing the conseuqnences of it. tell them that you signed up for too many clubs in college, had a part time job + full time student. although it may seem like you are not thinking these through, it shows that you're pro-active

4. research the company and share it to during your interview.

they're gonna ask you why you wanna work for the company, and this is when you show them that you've done your homework. tell them that this company is AWESOME!!!!1111! and tell them why (look at who their clients are, some statistics, etc.) and you want to start the next ___ years in your life working for a legit company. they want to hear that you really want to work there

1) what in your background best prepares you for this position and why?

2) what are your long-term goals?

3) what is important to you in a job?

4) how do others describe you?

5) some of our other candidates have more substantial backgrounds, however, your background is impressive and interesting. can you convince me that it is worth the risk on our part to hire you over other folks who seem to have more experience?

6) tell me about a time when you had to handle a situation when one team member was not pulling their own weight.

7) what are your professional weaknesses? what do you like least about yourself?

here are the list of questions i would generally try to answer. obviously, these aren't going to be all asked and the interviewee will ask different questions, but this will give you a great foundation. i would love to help you guys (if you guys need some help), but my lunch break is over =\ ill definitely share more later if you guys like

Navy/Grey suit -- check uniqlo Tasmanian/+J

Black Captoe (Allen Edmonds for cheap on the bay, or go to Nordstrom sale)

Matching tie of your choice, would stay with plain neutral color, navy, burgundy. Check out Nordstrom Rack near you for some decent ties for great deal.

thanks gettoasty

im going with a white shirt, black/grey striped tie, grey pants, black shoes, and a black jacket.

i researched the museum. ill just wing the rest of the questions they ask me and ill ask them questions as well.

had a few apple store representatives at my school seeking for employment. Spoke with one and handed him my resume on the spot. I resubmitted everything on their online website as told. Thinking about going to an apple store and demand to speak with a manager. I want to let him/her know that one of their recruiters visited my school for hiring, that i filled out an application online and i would like to be interviewed. Will this come off too soon and direct?

Demanding an interview, is well, dumb. But I do think that stopping by a week or two after the online application to inquire about whether or not the position has been filled is a good way of getting your foot in the door. Most open positions (especially at this point in time) have stacks of resumes detailing completely indistinguishable applicants. Sometimes it can really do wonders if a member of human resources can put a face with a name.

had a few apple store representatives at my school seeking for employment. Spoke with one and handed him my resume on the spot. I resubmitted everything on their online website as told. Thinking about going to an apple store and demand to speak with a manager. I want to let him/her know that one of their recruiters visited my school for hiring, that i filled out an application online and i would like to be interviewed. Will this come off too soon and direct?

apple retail is a company that initially will contact you to touch bases. once they have contacted you for an interview, then you can follow up with them, and show that you are proactive. i would wait for that initial contact, then go from there.

is it me or it's pointless to apply online on a company's website?

the only jobs i hear back from were the ones i applied on campus, through the recruiter or one of my contacts

For finance, sounds about right.

Being a senior trying to break into finance sucks dick right now. i'm getting crushed

would you say the computer-science related field is competitive? all i hear are CS majors that get jobs. super competitive in finance as i have gotten 0 call backs. applied to less than a dozen places in a month time. =\

wish i liked CS more, but i was already having problems in beginning programing C++ etc. ha