Turntables and vinyl: Analog's finest

jyoni

I like the overall quality of vintage DD. It was a more realized technology bitd. I've seen alot of broken ones, but the vast majority I've encountered still function perfectly. These things are beasts. The plinths are solid aluminum blocks and those old Technics feet are actually pretty nice. However, as far as plinth weight, I can't personally vouch for slimline-era vintage. Go beefy.

I do wish manual DDs were more prevalent bitd.

Another thing I like about vintage DD is that they're excellent beginner machines. I like them alot myself, that's why I'm stuck on mine, and I'm definitely comfortable recommending them. What people spend on their first table is their choice, but bear in mind we're talking about people who probably haven't messed around with the abstractions of elliptical vs conical, bonded vs nude, not to mention getting into cartridges etc. Even at this modest level, that is expensive stuff to explore, and it is probably THE most personal aspect of listening. We're also talking about people who more than likely have never even cleaned up a used record. Vinyl's a pain in the ass sometimes, so I say until you know you like it, stay cheap. You can get some really decent shit for under 150, perhaps less if you look around and have patience.

Oh totally, I always recommend a used 1200 for people who are interested in getting one, great, do-it-all TT. Honestly, they're so goddamn flexible and reliable. You can make one sound fantastic, but I still think the lower level rega/project/musicHall's are a great start as well.

I like the overall quality of vintage DD. It was a more realized technology bitd. I've seen alot of broken ones, but the vast majority I've encountered still function perfectly. These things are beasts. The plinths are solid aluminum blocks and those old Technics feet are actually pretty nice. However, as far as plinth weight, I can't personally vouch for slimline-era vintage. Go beefy.

I do wish manual DDs were more prevalent bitd.

Another thing I like about vintage DD is that they're excellent beginner machines. I like them alot myself, that's why I'm stuck on mine, and I'm definitely comfortable recommending them. What people spend on their first table is their choice, but bear in mind we're talking about people who probably haven't messed around with the abstractions of elliptical vs conical, bonded vs nude, not to mention getting into cartridges etc. Even at this modest level, that is expensive stuff to explore, and it is probably THE most personal aspect of listening. We're also talking about people who more than likely have never even cleaned up a used record. Vinyl's a pain in the ass sometimes, so I say until you know you like it, stay cheap. You can get some really decent shit for under 150, perhaps less if you look around and have patience.

I have a question for the higher-level guys: Is a 4-channel cartridge worth trying? I know they work for quad, but that's not what I'd want it for. I don't know that quad is the sole point of them anyway. It seems like the actual separation itself may be the big plus. If I may use a dated analogy, I'm wondering if the channel splitting is the audio equivalent of moving from say S-video to component.

The difference between a regular stereo cartridge and a quad cartridge is the frequency range and separation within those ranges:

STEREO - 20-20kHz @ approx. 20 dB separation in that range

QUAD - 20-45kHz (or 50kHz) @ approx. 20 dB separation in that range (although it is allowed to decrease slightly in the upper-most frequencies).

Unless you have records that are quad-channel as well as a quad channel receiver i'm not sure it's worth it. Plus the styli on the quad-channel cartridges are usually more expensive...

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

All y'all designy fancy lads got any good ways of storing 7" records that doesn't involve boxes and looks good. Nontraditional is fine, space saving a plus. I'm not stoked on not being able to see my records and thus have only really been playing LPs lately.

Edited by JackCrank

• 1 month later...

^ could kerf out a top and bottom, finish/paint, and wall mount. I'm no fancy design lad though...... :D

WTB: Warlocks Surgery

Want it badly. Will paypal pizza and beer money in addition to purchase price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...