Just Soaked Samurai S510XX II, spin cycle okay?

MilSpex

mil, i'd go for a warm or hot wash, even... but I wouldn't spin cycle. if you must, neatly fold them in half lengthwise, carefully line them along the inside of the washing machine for the spin cycle so that they don't get weird creasing-------and inside out, of course!

there's a sammie bandwagon?

I spun my s500wx just to get the water off (no heat) and regretted it. after 10 mins, i checked on my baby and found it a murder scene in the machine. it was fucking blue everywhere.

dont do it.

Got it. Thanks. Just gonna hang dry.

mil, i'd go for a warm or hot wash, even... but I wouldn't spin cycle. if you must, neatly fold them in half lengthwise, carefully line them along the inside of the washing machine for the spin cycle so that they don't get weird creasing-------and inside out, of course!

there's a sammie bandwagon?

Thanks and sorry for the dumbass newbie question.

it sounds like you are talking about the dryer-------there is no heat on spin cycles, ever.

a careful spin in the washer in the manner i have described will be fine, that is, inside out, folded in half so that the legs kiss each other full on the mouth, and lined along the drum.

no need to spin dry. just hang dry, and it should only take a couple of hours. i personally hang dry it while its inflated (for lack of a better word). the good thing is that it will be real stiff after sundrying, and it usually retains that form.

so basically: sun dry for about 3 hours, then wear them while theyre a bit damp, and set your creases in.

Got it. Thanks. Just gonna hang dry.

Actually, I would blot with them with a towel to get out the excess water or lay them on the floor to dry for the first four hours. If your jeans are dripping wet, the indigo can run while they are hanging.

oh god. its like 90 degrees out here. and the heat only started so it will most likely get even hotter. i like staying indoors these type of days. i dont know, it might rain alot when you come here, because just about a week ago it was non-stop rain.

if anything, bring 1) tanktop or shirt, and shorts 2) rain jacket and jeans.

trust me. you cannot wear your denim here. and when it rains, it still hot and humid, so dont bring a thick jacket.

and make sure to visit americaya and manga souko.

is it your first time?

could you please give us a breakdown of washing samurai-style, chicken-san?

Well, here it goes:

It begins saying that this is just one example of how to go about washing your denim, but by no means a definitive method. Since denims are personal, there should be personal styles of washing, too. Makes sense.

Soaking:

The guy demonstrating (they call him "Master") prefers a 42 degrees C or cooler, luke warm water with a small tablespoon of salt. Some people prefer adding vinegar but most people don’t put anything in it. People believe salt will help get rid of the "glue" (I wonder if they mean starch and stuff) and extra indigo. At the same time, salt will help the main indigo to stay on the material better. So it says. And some people soak at body temperature.

I’ve read in other places you’re supposed to soak after you turn the jeans inside-out, but Master is doing it normal, outside-out. Make sure to take all the air bubbles out and let it soak for about 1-2 hours. Anything longer than that could be annoying to the rest of your household, but also unnecessary.

Wash:

Detergents without bleach or phosphate(?) are best to use, but sounds like it really doesn’t matter that much. Master used a detergent soap and swirled it in the water few times. The key thing is to make sure that the water’s not too soapy — it shouldn’t be foaming.

Even with the non-foaming water, you’ll see that by the end of the wash the water has turned quite blue. It says wash is important because you get rid of oils accumulated during the making of the jeans.

Oh and Master washed the jeans inside-out.

Rinse:

The key to rinsing is to rinse very well. Make sure all the detergent’s gone. Some people add a tiny bit of detergent at the end of the rinse cycle to add a little sheen to the jeans, but Master thinks that’s really stupid because it will hurt the cloth. So rinse.

Getting rid of moisture.

Try to use your hands and get rid of water BEFORE the washing machine gets into the spinning drying cycle. Denim, which is heavy to begin with, with water can spin in an awkward way inside a machine, which can, in the long run, cause some unwanted damage to the jeans.

Definitely, do not twist. Which will hurt the denim, again. Instead, push and massage the moisture out like in their photo (see my previous post).

And don’t use the spin cycle too much. It’s not good for your denim.

Drying:

Master dried the jeans still inside-out. Make sure to get rid of the wrinkles, especially in the selvaged area before you hang it. Some people will hang it upside-down, but that’s up to the user. The best time to dry is morning ‘till noon, but as long as it’s in a place with a good air current in a shady area, it should work just fine.

Drying it right in the sun is bad. It’s because the moisture in the jeans can “boil” suddenly and cause damage to the cloth. Air drying in a freezing weather is also horrible.

Dryer machine is not a bad thing, since you can get a steady and controlled environment for the jeans to dry. But the downside is huge. Over-drying can cause an irreversible damage. So they can’t recommend it. Some experienced dryer machine users, though, have tricks using towels and/or tennis balls with the jeans.

Extra:

Master used mink oil on the patch when it was half dry. For long-term effect. I guess it’s kind of like baseball gloves.

Master also recommended cutting off all the excess strings that come out after the wash. Some people prefer to have them fall off naturally, but that’s up to the user.

oh god. its like 90 degrees out here. and the heat only started so it will most likely get even hotter. i like staying indoors these type of days. i dont know, it might rain alot when you come here, because just about a week ago it was non-stop rain.

if anything, bring 1) tanktop or shirt, and shorts 2) rain jacket and jeans.

trust me. you cannot wear your denim here. and when it rains, it still hot and humid, so dont bring a thick jacket.

and make sure to visit americaya and manga souko.

is it your first time?

whatsup red,

my wife is okinawan so we go back every year. the first time i went it was typhoon season, which means everyone just drinks until the typhoon is gone. then, after that, it was over 100 degrees with humidity. it almost killed me, man!!!

i love okinawa. do you hang out around gate 2 at all? i made a ton of friends out there--okinawans, americans, marines, half-okinawan/half-american. they really know how to have a good time over there.

oh, and i miss okinawa soba, okinawa tacos and taco-rice, cheap awamori (okinawan rice liquor). oh and the beautiful beaches of course!

whatsup red,

my wife is okinawan so we go back every year. the first time i went it was typhoon season, which means everyone just drinks until the typhoon is gone. then, after that, it was over 100 degrees with humidity. it almost killed me, man!!!

i love okinawa. do you hang out around gate 2 at all? i made a ton of friends out there--okinawans, americans, marines, half-okinawan/half-american. they really know how to have a good time over there.

oh, and i miss okinawa soba, okinawa tacos and taco-rice, cheap awamori (okinawan rice liquor). oh and the beautiful beaches of course!

haha. gate two is great. unfortunately, i dont get to go there often because i live quite a distance and im restricted from driving off base. its a great place to spot drunks in the morning.

but ya. the weather really sucks when it sucks and its really nice when its nice.

your japanese right? i really need to learn the language. the girls. oh the girls.