So i just got my first skateboard, now to learn to use it well

homi29

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

so... what do you guys think about longboarding? ever since I saw my cousin with his longboard, I've been wanting to cop one myself. I'm not really interested in tricks (can't afford to injure my hands badly if I still wanna go to med school) but I'd still like to be able to get out there and ride.

Any recommendations for setups?

i went out and bought an element deck, independent trucks and 53.5mm spitfire wheels to replace my old alien workshop

what sort of bearings should i get? my AW had lucky's on it, those any good?

think i'll need risers with the 53.5mm?

as far as bearings, get bones swiss. the extra money is well worth it.

you should not need risers with the wheels, but get them if you like them. i perfer none.

alright so i got bones reds... and fucked the plastic cover on one up trying to get the bearing in the wheel well(FUCK) but it still spins well

element deck, independent trucks, bones red bearings, 53.5 mm spitfire wheels... hell yea :)

i went out skating for the first time in years today. turning on this thing is fucking awesome, it's loose but not too loose... feels perfect to turn. i still can't curb hop. i can still ollie, but some times if i'm going fast i fuck up and the board gets away from me

i think i'm just going to ride this around the ghetto where i live(flint michigan... please let me go back to detroit soon) and see how i improve

alright so i got bones reds... and fucked the plastic cover on one up trying to get the bearing in the wheel well(FUCK) but it still spins well

element deck, independent trucks, bones red bearings, 53.5 mm spitfire wheels... hell yea

i went out skating for the first time in years today. turning on this thing is fucking awesome, it's loose but not too loose... feels perfect to turn. i still can't curb hop. i can still ollie, but some times if i'm going fast i fuck up and the board gets away from me

i think i'm just going to ride this around the ghetto where i live(flint michigan... please let me go back to detroit soon) and see how i improve

Get some bearing lubricant as well, it is around $5-6 at all skate shops, it will help preserve the bearings a little longer and allow them to roll smoother/faster, I always found that this made an immense difference when I was skating whilst living in Washington with all the moisture, shit, etc. that would get in the bearings.

Also, I don't know if it has changed much, but when I used to skate religiously 4-5 years ago Alien Workshop made the worst fucking decks of all time, I could get more pop out of a 2x4 then the piece of shite I bought from them. I used to love ATM decks. Do they even still make those?

Haha, this post is funny for some reason...

At least your not rollerblading... Just kidding.

Honestly, just remember that skateboarding is supposed to be fun. Get on your board every day and just get your trucks moving. Learn to roll and turn and cruise before you start trying to learn "tricks." Think of just being fluid and having style. Some of the most inspirational skateboarding I've ever seen was just watching Mark Gonzales push around a parking lot doing fun little shit.

Watch videos. Watch people who look like they've been doing it since birth.

Be fluid. Just have fun. You can't make yourself a skateboarder. You have to love it, or it just wont work out.

P.S. Learn to fall.

ditto on the gonz.

definately learn to fall.

and bleed.

uneccessary unless he's a badass vert rider.... which he obviously isn't.

price to performace, it's reds hands down.

really? i always thought it was uneccessary too until i tried them. i couldnt go back to anything else now. of course i didnt pay for them either, so that has a bit to do with it, but the extra speed and smooth ride always helps.

Make sure to push with your front foot still on the board.

Otherwise you will grow to look stupid and have terrible style.

'round 'ere we call it shitfoot

I got that down... I usually rotate my front foot to point my toe towards the front of the board when I'm pushing, and push slightly to the side. That's what you do, right?

edit: oh snap i was watching the mark gonzales real to reel video and he does this kickass thing where he pushes down on the front of the board and flips it and starts riding switch, while moving fast. it just looks totally badass. i want to do that now.