So i just got my first skateboard, now to learn to use it well

homi29

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, this post is funny for some reason...

At least your not rollerblading... Just kidding.

Honestly, just remember that skateboarding is supposed to be fun. Get on your board every day and just get your trucks moving. Learn to roll and turn and cruise before you start trying to learn "tricks." Think of just being fluid and having style. Some of the most inspirational skateboarding I've ever seen was just watching Mark Gonzales push around a parking lot doing fun little shit.

Watch videos. Watch people who look like they've been doing it since birth.

Be fluid. Just have fun. You can't make yourself a skateboarder. You have to love it, or it just wont work out.

P.S. Learn to fall.

Notice Mark's selvage jeans at 1:21 :D

that vid is hilarious...

anywyas...i have been skating for about 7 years and i have never found anything more satisfying then rolling away from a trick you have tried over and over and over and over.....its one of the most amazing things you could ever feel.....but then again, just cruising around on my board these days is good enough sometime.....skateboarding is a way to live your life....embrace that shit and have fun

sure. im sure it is, but i stopped paying attention the the skate industry years ago. i skate for me, not to keep up with everyone else. my goal is not to be pro, but to skate like the gonz. if i could have one tenth his talent and one hundrth his style, i would die a happy man.

Forget learning tricks at first, you'll just look like a hooligan in a parking lot never landing a trick. Learn how to ride like the Gonz in the first clip of that video above and just be able to flow so smoothly that you can ride anywhere, then once you are that comfortable on the board learning tricks will come much easier and you will be able to make them look good while you ride rather than land a static kickplif in a parking lot every 1 in 5 attempts.

yea man, just skate

sounds like a good setup.. just learn to ride around and gt comfortable at first, then get your ollie shit solid just standing still, and just slowly progess you know? its going to be fucking fun, skating is dope.

my friend skated with tom penny like two weeks ago when he was in town for some demo.. god damn that man is steezy

My only advise is to have fun but, invest in a helmet and knee and wrist pads. 1 injury because you are still learning will set you back for a very long time. I am surprised no one on this entire forum reccommended at least a helmet for a beginner. I know it is not cool and all but damn, if I had not had a helmet when I started years ago I might not be able to spell my name now.

yeah... penny made everyone step up their game when he came out. it wasn't good enough to just land a trick anymore, you had to do it clean and smooth, and switch if possible. the switch fs flip down Carlsbad is still amazing.

as for the helmet thing, in my almost 15 years of skating ive never hit my head. ive never worn pads. if you dont have them you learn how to fall and not get hurt.

yeah.... learn how to skate transition. you have to. once you do your street skating will improve. the more things you can just ride, wether it be a ramp, a snake run, a set of stairs, a wall, a pool, the better off you are. get the basics down on everything and the rest will become natural. it doesnt matter if you can throw yourself down the biggest handrail in the world if you dont look like you can ride your board.

dont think "i want to do a trick like that guy" at first. it should be more like "i want to PUSH like that guy"

the best look like they are taking a nap on thier board. this is what you are striving for.

My only advise is to have fun but, invest in a helmet and knee and wrist pads. 1 injury because you are still learning will set you back for a very long time. I am surprised no one on this entire forum reccommended at least a helmet for a beginner. I know it is not cool and all but damn, if I had not had a helmet when I started years ago I might not be able to spell my name now.

screw pads and helmets

Wearing a helmet when you're starting isn't really necessary. You're not going to be hucking yourself down staircases before you learn how to push off correctly... At least, you shouldn't.

If you're going to skate pools, half pipes, etc. then knee pads would be a good investment. But as far as regular skateboarding goes, just go au natural.

Getting lumps, bruises and stitches is all part of it.

I think the worst injury I've ever had while skating was a sprained ankle. I've hit my head at times, but never had any damage.

Whatever though. I wouldn't ever discourage anyone from wearing a helmet or pads. That's just not for me.

If it happens, at least I'll go out doing what I love.

yeah... penny made everyone step up their game when he came out. it wasn't good enough to just land a trick anymore, you had to do it clean and smooth, and switch if possible. the switch fs flip down Carlsbad is still amazing.

as for the helmet thing, in my almost 15 years of skating ive never hit my head. ive never worn pads. if you dont have them you learn how to fall and not get hurt.

I've never hit my head either ... some pretty snazzy grazes (like my whole arm) is about it ...

take it easy, get the basics sorted, have fun, and work your way up.

oh, and skate with people slightly better then you are, it forces you to lift your game. actually, this holds for life in general

yeah that gonz video was dope

i took a couple days off becuase i was sick, but i said fuck it and went out today, my turning got a little better, just working on making my push offs as smooth as possible, and maintaining down hills ,sidewalks, and my favourite cracked potholed roads..

it really is fun, i can only imagine how great it will be when i learn to ollie

where should i get good trucks and wheels for this shit? is ccs still quality for the price or is there a better place i should look? any recommendations for trucks/wheels?

Check out http://www.crailtap.com for cheap trucks. Last time I checked they had various royals for $20. Also, look at http://www.activemailorder.com. They have one of the larger selections online.

do any of u guys skate in nyc? im really not all that wit my board but my friend wants to ride his bike over to washington sq park and i was gonna bring my board there. i heard there's a bunch of stuff to skate and there's always ppl there, is this true?

I worked in an ER at the beach and trust me, you need a helmet if you have never skated before. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever not to wear one other than vanity and if you think vanity is worth you life....so be it. For every one person that says they have never had an accident there are five that have concussions or depressed skull fractures that will effect their everyday life for the duration. BELIEVE IT!

You do NOT have to be pulling big tricks to split your melon down the middle.

CCS...

oh man, havent heard anyone talk about ccs in a fucking long time :D

I remember the catalog was like a bible to us like 10 years ago. I read each one through so many times the pages came off, and spent a whole scribbling the order form with a pencil.

should probably order a catalog just for kicks, and to see what they look like nowadays

So the other day I was re-reading an old issue of Big Brother in my special reading station like I always do, and I came across an article where Dave Carnie talks about a way of hopping on your board that is far cool than any other way imaginable.

You know when you are holding your deck by the nose and dragging your tail on the ground while you're jogging along and you drop it and hop on? While it's the same thing but you drag your deck along upside down, drop it, it bounces and flips over while you are jumping to hop on and if you time it right you will land on it just as it has flipped over and you will ride away like a cool guy.

I was trying it the other day and landed it smooth a couple times, you just have to get the timing right, I think running along with a little speed before you drop helps. People look at you like you're a retard because you're dragging it upside down and then when it flips over and you land it they want to give you blow jobs, if you don't land it you still look like a retard though. It's pretty funny.

oh man, havent heard anyone talk about ccs in a fucking long time

I remember the catalog was like a bible to us like 10 years ago. I read each one through so many times the pages came off, and spent a whole scribbling the order form with a pencil.

should probably order a catalog just for kicks, and to see what they look like nowadays

aha hah. Perfect description. I used to love that shit....I think I looked over some issues 50 times.....

So the other day I was re-reading an old issue of Big Brother in my special reading station like I always do, and I came across an article where Dave Carnie talks about a way of hopping on your board that is far cool than any other way imaginable.

You know when you are holding your deck by the nose and dragging your tail on the ground while you're jogging along and you drop it and hop on? While it's the same thing but you drag your deck along upside down, drop it, it bounces and flips over while you are jumping to hop on and if you time it right you will land on it just as it has flipped over and you will ride away like a cool guy.

I was trying it the other day and landed it smooth a couple times, you just have to get the timing right, I think running along with a little speed before you drop helps. People look at you like you're a retard because you're dragging it upside down and then when it flips over and you land it they want to give you blow jobs, if you don't land it you still look like a retard though. It's pretty funny.

i saw some kid trying to do that, and i just laughed at him cause i didnt know what the fuck he was doing...might wanna try that myself...what would be really badass is if someone could time it just right so that you could drag it upside down all the way to the halfpipe or pool coping, and then it would bounce and you would catch it in the air and keep skating, like a bomb drop with a twist

• 3 weeks later...

Haha yeah I always bust that one out every once in a while just for kicks. It's so fun.