So i just got my first skateboard, now to learn to use it well

homi29

I just picked up my first complete

heres the setup

Alien Workshop Deck

Indepedent Trucks

Momnetum Wheels (54)

all brand new.. is this a good setup?

Ive learned to stay balanced on the board, and can kick push to gain some momentum, but im still having trouble turning.

i dont expect to go pro, or anything, just wanna have fun, learn some tricks, be able to grind and curbhop..

Also anyone have any good recommendations for skate videos to teach me tricks, or just dope videos with great scenes

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice practice practice practice practice practice.

Then, practice.

Why're you having trouble turning?

Loosen your trucks a little bit. If you want to get used to how turning feels, just stand up on your board and lean side to side... get a feel for how deeply you can lean, also a good idea to check to see if your wheel will 'bite', get clipped by your board. If it doesn't take much for the top of your wheel to touch the board when you lean into a turn, you're in need of smaller wheels/higher trucks.

They're tons of decent trick tip videos online, check out YouTube and Google Video.

As a beginner, I don't think your setup matters too much. It sounds fine though.

As far as turning, do what the guy above me said.

Heres some good videos (not trick tips ones)

Yeah Right

The DC Video

Eastern Exposure 3

Mouse

Questionable

Photosynthesis

Check some of em out and see the essence of skateboarding in them. Most of all, have fun skating and do what you want.

I'd say you made some good choices. Alien Workshop/Habitat have some of the best wood IMHO. Also, Independent trucks are my favorite trucks hands down. With 54mm wheels you may need some risers if you run the trucks pretty loose.

As for newer videos check out Fourstar's Super Champion Funzone and Enjoi's Bag of Suck. The new Krooked video is rad too. Have fun man.

thinking of getting myself a board once again, haven't owned a board in almost 5 years or so

the reason why i quit in the first place was because i didn't have the guts to actually pull tricks off, too scared to end up on the asphalt with a broken jaw, anyone that has some serious motivation skills?! motivate me please

uhh my bearings are nothing special, the skateshop i got em from recommended em, said they were good enough for a beginner like me..

i think i just need more practice turning, and just gaining enough speed on my own, once i get riding down perfect, im gonna try to learn to ollie.

thanks for the advice..

and i know what u mean qom, but i take it slow and make sure i get something down flat, before i try the next thing... I just have fun with it, i dont do it to look cool or try and go pro, i just wanna have fun , and learn some tricks.. I think the hardest part about skateboarding is just patience and learning to tolerate pain/ and overcome the fear of falling

its still amazing how easy pros make everything look

Haha, this post is funny for some reason...

At least your not rollerblading... Just kidding.

Honestly, just remember that skateboarding is supposed to be fun. Get on your board every day and just get your trucks moving. Learn to roll and turn and cruise before you start trying to learn "tricks." Think of just being fluid and having style. Some of the most inspirational skateboarding I've ever seen was just watching Mark Gonzales push around a parking lot doing fun little shit.

Watch videos. Watch people who look like they've been doing it since birth.

Be fluid. Just have fun. You can't make yourself a skateboarder. You have to love it, or it just wont work out.

P.S. Learn to fall.

I think the point is, he's been on this bored for awhile, and knowing that people here skate, would rather ask people he's acquainted with rather than random strangers at a skateboard forum. Not to mention that most skateboard forums are populated by a younger demographic of skaters, as opposed to posters here.

Funnily enough, there are pretty popular threads here about music- including one devoted solely to hardcore.

What's with all the people in here who think they're the fucking forum police? It's as if all we're allowed to talk about is clothes, strictly clothes, strictly denim. This isn't Wal-Mart fashion we're talking about; all of the stuff discussed on SF is deeply rooted in some sort of cultural ideology, no matter how large or small. Why is it that if anyone ventures to discuss those cultural and sub-cultural backdrops for the fashions we discuss, there's always one dick that gripes about the thread not having anything to do with Dior Homme or Japanese selvage denim or Nike or German Army sneakers or...

hehe, I just got new trucks and wheels for my old board. last time I used it was about 7 years ago :D

damN!!! shouldnt it be the other way round??

your deck wld be all soggy and shit yo!

good you started.. skating is fun, really fun, esp when you get bruised elbows and bruises ALL OVER your shins.

it's worth it tho. : )

yeah OMC hit it on the head

i know the posters on here give sound advice, i know there were a bunch of skaters on here, and they would be mature enough to give me a few pointers. Obviously nothing beats being out there and skating, but it does help sometimes when other people can guide u along, or motivate u a bit.

And i thought if all else failed, someone would post about what great honeycombs they got from skating

I miss skating a lot. You will never view concrete, curbs, benches, stairs or ledges the same afterwards, even after 10 years.

Someone mentioned Questionable by Plan B team earlier. Anyone remember Santa Cruz's Wheels of Fire? Used to love the Christian Hosoi and Jeff Kendall sessions on that old flick. Also, Natas Kaupas (sp?) spinning on the fire hydrant on Streets of Fire.

Used to love H-Street's Hokus Pokus, too. It had the best music by Kirk and the Jerks and also The Cry. Danny Way's at the Woodward Skate Park. Matt Hensley. Tony Rasmussan (sp?). Wow.

what are your bearings? skating is fun. keep the dream alive, man :-)

Hey, never scimp on bearings. I always used Bones Bearings from Powell. Keep em clean and lubed and they will keep you fast. Go speed racer, go!

werd just get on ur board and skate, get comfortable on it and just ride. i even like the sound of the wheels on some smooth asphalt when im just cruising. try new tricks and don't be scared to fall, it usually won't hurt as bad as u think. i think ur just not used to keeping ur balance when u turn, but u'll get used to it. just keep skating and do whatever u want

First off, pretty good choice of setup. I'm not familiar with Momentum wheels, but you can't go wrong with Indy's and Alien Workshop.

Secondly, skate videos are a good starting block, but don't expect to be the next Koston cause you saw 'Yeah Right!' Just ride.

I've been skating for over a decade, and lately I've been having more fun doing slappies, slashes, and bombing hills than when I was attacking stair cases, ledges, and handrails. Maybe it has to do with me getting older, but I'd much rather just ride and skate whatever comes in my path than worry about landing some specific trick.

If you want inspiration, or someone to emulate, watch Ricky Oyola skate. That dude can ride. Actually watch all the guys in the old Eastern Exposure videos. I think you can still get them through www.danwolfe.tv

And i thought if all else failed, someone would post about what great honeycombs they got from skating

Yeah, skating makes your jeans look great, but at the same time, it also makes them smell terrible.

ive always loved watching skating, and the whole culture behind it, it was one of greatest subcultures of our time imo

i know im kinda late in the game (im 20), but better late than never, i heard larry clark learned in his 60s to film wassup rockers. thats dedication right there..

also none of my friends ever were really into skating, so i was kind of itimidated by people, but when i get good, ill see if i can link up with some people over at a skateshop or a park or something

a couple of things....

ride your board everywhere. dont even try to learn tricks until you can weave in and out of people on the street. this will give you a much stronger foundation when you try to do that fickflip bs noseblunt down the 12 stair youve been eyeing.

watch video days, EE3, mouse, questionable, welcome to hell. watch tom penny, mark gonzales, the entire girl team.

for insipration, think of tragics new standards.

ive been skating since the early 90s. its the one thing that thru all the bad times ive been able to count on to clear my mind and help me cope. it has brought me friends around the country, and has shown me alot about how people really are. congrats on getting a board, and keep riding.

Haha, this post is funny for some reason...

At least your not rollerblading... Just kidding.

Honestly, just remember that skateboarding is supposed to be fun. Get on your board every day and just get your trucks moving. Learn to roll and turn and cruise before you start trying to learn "tricks." Think of just being fluid and having style. Some of the most inspirational skateboarding I've ever seen was just watching Mark Gonzales push around a parking lot doing fun little shit.

Watch videos. Watch people who look like they've been doing it since birth.

Be fluid. Just have fun. You can't make yourself a skateboarder. You have to love it, or it just wont work out.

P.S. Learn to fall.

so true.

if you're doing it for fun and for love the tricks will come...skating's not meant to be too forced, and should be fun no matter how good or bad you are at it... speaking of fun, how about 7 sutures to the shin after a back smith gone awry? that was me in the ER last night, woohoo!

damN!!! shouldnt it be the other way round??

your deck wld be all soggy and shit yo!

nah its in pretty good shape, I think I busted an older one and only used this newer one for a while before I stopped. I sold the trucks and wheels to friend back then so thats why I needed new ones.

guess I'll have to ride to work in a suit someday just for laughs :D

i dunno if its just me, but sometimes i really feel that these days, skateboarding is becoming more of a glamour sport.

i mean, when i look at the gonz, rodney mullen, and even mike york, i really appreciate it that heads like them are keeping it real. keeping it fun.

to speak the truth, skaters can be mad elitist at times, and also the coolest people you can ever hang out with.

all i'm trying to say, is, you know, keep it real, and ABOVE ALL THINGS, HAVE FUN.

mike lowrey

cool cool. hahhaa. sold the trucks and wheels?! haha.

tt wld be dope. send us a photo. : )

someday, when i'm an attorney. i'm gonna skate to lunch and back. hahahha.

In singapore, all over the Central Business District, "NO SKATEBOARDING" signs all over the shop.

BITE MY LEGAL ASS BITCHEZZZZZ.

hey guys i've actually been skating again lately but my 10 year old independent trucks(not joking, got these when i was like 9) aren't cutting it...

my deck seems fine, it's a simple 7 ply blank deck i bought off ebay a couple years ago and has a good amount of pop. i can do a pretty decent ollie on it.

where should i get good trucks and wheels for this shit? is ccs still quality for the price or is there a better place i should look? any recommendations for trucks/wheels?