Rock climbing/bouldering (saved my life or whatever)

TPR950H

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep at it. Excellent work.

Was anyone at Darkhorse Bouldering finals yesterday? First competition I've been to. Great energy, itching to start climbing again.

I wasnt there. Heard it was a good time. I climb there 3 days a week after work. Some solid problems went up for the comp.

tigerprawn, knowing how much of a gear junkie you are i would say grab some miura vs's. i started with a cheaper show and wanted an upgrade within a couple weeks. i don't buy the comments that a beginner shoe is more appropriate. spending 125 initially means you won't be spending an extra 125 in 2 months with your cheap shoes don't cut it.

that said, the evolv defy is a pretty decent show for 80 bucks.

FINALLY went for the first time. Went to a local rock climbing gym with some friends and we jumped into bouldering. I gotta say I'm pretty freakin' hooked. I'm sure we were doing shit wrong and technique was horrible, but overall it was incredibly fun and I can see myself going back long-term. My only hesitation is that the gym price is ~$70 a month. Not THAT bad I guess all things considered. Skip a weekend of going out?

Forearms and shoulders were sore the next day, but we did some fun stuff. Mostly V0-V2s. Anyone have suggestions on solid bouldering shoes that aren't gonna cost me too much? I used to see the 510 Hornet on sale a lot. Any good?

Join the Clymb, its a deal site for outdoor gear. Good prices on 5.10 and Evolv shoes right now. Buy a nice pair of shoes, when they wear out you can send them for a re-sole for like 40 bucks. Most shoes handle 2 re-soles pretty well.

If your going to primarily boulder definitely get a nice turned down aggressive shoe.

As for the cost, if you have health insurance from a major provider and the gym has a small workout area, you can usually get a fitness credit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

resurrecting this thread. got into rock climbing about 6 months ago and was going only 2-3 times a month because i'd get pretty nasty tendonosis flare-ups in my arms after going, but i recently got a membership and some evolv shaman shoes and have been going every 2-3 days now. awesome workout and love the problem solving aspect to it. still haven't done any outdoor climbing, though there are plenty of places around the silicon valley to go. i just like bouldering at the studio in san jose. completing v4s now after plateauing a bit at v2/v3 for a while. 

my gym. it's located in an old hollowed-out movie theater downtown. pretty cool.

25150938769_9a79bd9b9c_b.jpg

25222813460_84866db081_b.jpg

25151004579_826be48376_b.jpg

Edited by Rob060

• 4 weeks later...

jf66oou.jpg?1

First climb of the day, the left arete of "The Wedge". 25 foot highball. Gets the blood flowing.

12797643_1023169227718872_1705076074_n.j

25 feet up, ripped a huge hole in toe of my  shoe. no foot placement. greasy, hot rock. had to downclimb and save for another trip, yet again. 

Edited by EG562