Rock climbing/bouldering (saved my life or whatever)

TPR950H

Thanks for all the info. I really don't own "comfortable" clothing. I have some running shorts and running leggings, but I don't know if that's what I'd want to wear.

I used to boulder in LVC 1937 that were about two sizes too big for me. :)

I can't remember if you're going to boulder or top ropeing but in bouldering any pants that you can squat without being hindered you're good to go. With harness you'd want something relatively fitted and lightweight fabric.

i boulder in seattle at a place called Seattle Bouldering Project. all bouldering. there are many out door spots 30 mins away from seattle which i plan on going once the weather gets better. i've only been doing it for a month. i'm climbing mostly v3, some v4's if i figure out the trick, and a rare v5 here and there. i wear nike tights rolled up a bit with nike running shorts, a AA henley and a bandana. with some random climbing shoe i bought off ebay for 50$. i figure i will wear these out real quick being a noob. plan on getting some la sportiva TC pro when i get better. my buddy wears outlier climber pants and sometimes his samurai 710xx. my shoes fit with my toes almost all the way curled. my arches are weak so i like a shoe with downward pointed toe, helps keep my arch right. just pulled my left hammie heal hooking a v5. and YES the girls are so god damned fit.

out of all sports i've done, climbers are by far the nicest people in general.

This is my new favorite sufu thread.

@moykky Awesome style with the LVC's, I bet they break in pretty crazy climbing.

@hailxenu The scene in seattle sounds pretty awesome. My gym has a decent bouldering area, but an ALL bouldering gym sounds amazing. p.s. I agree with everything you wrote. Beautiful ladies with fit bods, nicest people ever.

I'm climbing tonight with some friends at Hanger 18 in Hawthorne. I'm finishing V3's pretty consistently but still haven't finished a single V4 yet. BTW, if any SUFU socal people ever want to try out bouldering I get one free guest pass a month with my membership. I'd be happy to hook someone up and show them the ropes. I've gotten 4 friends to join already, they love it! Just pm me and we'll link up. I'll be the dude climbing in the Rick Owens swinger pants and Givenchy Rottweiler crew, jk.

recently copped these at a 25% discount from my local gym, they are last seasons mad rock flash shoe, sized down two from my street shoe size (mad toe curls but still surprisingly comfortable)

b9atlk.jpg

typically I climb in some mountain hardware 3/4 length pants and whatever tee shirt I happen to grab on my way out the door, when bouldering outside I sometimes wear jeans or a chopped off pair of carhartt double knee work pants (the loose the better)

these are what i wanna get some day fwbk-98-9-1-sage.jpg

all in all, climbing shoes are so ugly. i went about trying to find some cool looking shoes but all are pretty boring. i thought there would be some cool Jap brands but now, all the pro's seem to climb in 5.10 shoes. many cool looking vintage shoes on ebay. i want something colorful with dope laces or something.

Edited by hailxenu

^^ where you climb in bc? got a pair of evolv defy vtr. great for the price

There is lots of good outdoor climbing in Kamloops/Kelowna area, Squamish is amazing too. Indoor I climb at Cliffside in Kamloops.

(also +rep for the deadfall sig, that movie blows my mind continuously)

also I recently retired my evolvs...great shoe for the price yes, but mine smelled like a week old dead person (synthetic tends to stink much worse than leather) I've kept them for outdoor use only, don't want to put anybody at the gym through having to smell them as I make ascents haha

f3x1sg.jpg

I've always thought these were pretty dope looking shoes...I'm partial to velcro, easier to rip em off on a descent or when you're belaying as opposed to having to unlace, laces are good for keeping stretched out shoes tight though

Edited by GregoryH

There is lots of good outdoor climbing in Kamloops/Kelowna area, Squamish is amazing too. Indoor I climb at Cliffside in Kamloops.

(also +rep for the deadfall sig, that movie blows my mind continuously)

also I recently retired my evolvs...great shoe for the price yes, but mine smelled like a week old dead person (synthetic tends to stink much worse than leather) I've kept them for outdoor use only, don't want to put anybody at the gym through having to smell them as I make ascents haha

f3x1sg.jpg

I've always thought these were pretty dope looking shoes...I'm partial to velcro, easier to rip em off on a descent or when you're belaying as opposed to having to unlace, laces are good for keeping stretched out shoes tight though

holy shit yea. the felt lining in my evolvs make my shoes smell like death. im a regular around the squamish area in summer but right now been straight indoors at cliffhanger in rich.

i'm really feeling the scarpa slippers. wish they had better colours tho

gg-scarpa-instinct-slipper-250.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love bouldering. Done up to a V3, but I watched like a five year old girl crush a V10 and I was just like "fuck me, kids are ninjas now".

There's great rock climbing in newport beach, CA and in FL as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I climb at Joe Rockhead's in Toronto. Climbing 5.10+ indoors, bouldering what I believe are v3's. I've been at it for about 3 months now. Can't wait to go outdoors once it heats up. I have a Petzl Adjama harness and Scarpa Force shoes.

Also have a minor pulley injury on my ring finger on my right hand. I'm pretty sure it was from the 2 finger pockets. Going to get some bouldering in today to see how it's feeling.

If you guys want to watch an amazing climbing video, check out Progression.

yeah just shoes and chalk will be fine for bouldering man - maybe get a crash mat in the future if you're going to start going outdoors?

in terms of shoes, nothing that hasn't been said before but just get shoes that are super tight - you want your toes tight up at the front and your heel in the cup. the less room to move the better - probably not too expensive as they're your first pair. hardcore bouldering shoes tend to be aggressive and pointed but it really just depends on what style and shape of shoe you end up liking/being comfortable climbing in.

and yeah, if you can have a quick climb in shoes when you're trying them on all the better