How many pairs of jeans do you own?

35 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I still enjoy owning and wearing my stuff, of course looking at it and I have somehow on display. But I was certainly more excited several years ago than I am nowadays. 

Same. I haven’t purchased new denim in awhile simply because I have enough to last me years. I still have an addiction to jackets and flannel, however, I’ve become burnt out over the past few years. I also have many other interests to keep me occupied as well as a child that brings me happiness. I won’t stop buying denim related goods but it isn’t a top priority for me these days. I think I’m well past the honeymoon phase with denim. Now I just want to play the ps5 that I finally got my hands on 

Similar sentiments to some here. 

But I'd add that part of the joy for me is seeing what the small designers come up with - this is in part why repro collections have limited appeal to me. I get it, but the small operations that take history and then twist it some are what interests me most - which has the added benefit/drawback of wanting to buy new stuff all the time. I am good, but not great at resisting that - I fall more for jackets/tops than for jeans. My work (outside of raising a toddler) is in and around photography (making photos, printmaking, teaching, publishing), as well as my physical hobbies (a lot) are enough to keep me going usually - to the point that usually when I'm online doing this denim thing it's at the expense of a project I want to be working on...but those creative blocks...which seem more frequent in my internet attention fractured brain...usually send me here or somewhere similar, and I do enjoy this space if just to see how others curate their own collection etc. There is an art in that too.

But I never really considered denim as much of a hobby because it just doesn't involve any real doing. Collection does seem much more apt I suppose. The only real collection I would say I have is of photography books, but I've moved so many times I'm still used to trying to stay light ... that is changing now as I am hoping the moving has come to a long pause if not an end. But jeans/jackets...while I haven't thought of it that way probably start to border on collection here. The OA's I got last year were the first pair I'd ever bought without the explicit intent of wearing them right away. Seems like a slippery slope. 

Current line up...........

LVC '555' Valencia St - S501XX 1944  /  501XX 1947  /  501XX 1955    

WAREHOUSE - S1000XX DSB

FREEWHEELERS  - 601XX 1951 x2

SUGARCANE -  1947  /  285 Persimmon /  SC40302 Okinawa Persimmon

LVC CONE MiA - S501XX 1944  /  501XX 1947 x2  /   551ZXX 1962 

SAMURAI -  S5000VX Lot 10  -   S710BK Lot11

1990's EVIS x3 not sure which exact models  /  EVISU 2000 No 1 (2010)  

Edited by freshwater

in 2022 I added 

warehouse 1001xx

tcb type2 jacket

freewheelers s601xx

that's a lot compared to my standard but I'm compulsively wearing all of them

I plan to get only the new denime for 2023 but hey who knows

7 hours ago, UkeNo said:

X 6 ? :)

First off, it's a great pair of jeans with a great denim and a very versatile cut.
So most of them are different sizes. 3 pairs are W36 (for my fatter days) and 3 pairs are W34. Then they have different inseam lengths and different stages of wear...voila = 6 pairs :D 

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

I just started wearing one of my 60 anniversary swissjeansfreak jeans (from 2019) last April for every day and as a slow fader they‘ll last for ever

14 minutes ago, swiss-jeansfreak said:

I just started wearing one of my 60 anniversary swissjeansfreak jeans (from 2019) last April for every day and as a slow fader they‘ll last for ever

Sounds like an ultimate way.

1 hour ago, Talan said:

Sounds like an ultimate way.

Yeah I have to confess that I never rotate with other pairs otherwise I have to wait 10-20 years to get some proper fades

One year since my last update here. Let's see what's changed:

Retired

• Flat Head 3009, 32 - Worn Q4 2012 - Q3 2013. Unknown wears, probably at least 1.5 years. Retired, used for repair scraps.
  • Flat Head 1001, 32 - Worn Q3 2013 - Q4 2014. 290 wears. On indefinite loan to Rivet & Hide's fade collection.
  • 3Sixteen ST-120x, 31 - Worn 2015 - 2018. 540 wears. Repaired by Indigo Proof. Retired, as I no longer wear such slim jeans. My most-worn pair thus far.
  • 3Sixteen RH15, 30 - Worn 2017 - Q2 2018. 366 wears. Retired, slimmer than I wear nowadays.

Inactive

• Samurai S710xx, 31 - Q3 2012-2021. 12.5 months. I occasional still wear these.
  • Full Count 1108, 31 - Q1 2019 - Q3 2021t. 13 months. Might wear these more in the future.
  • Flat Head 3005XXX (Export Version), 32 - Q3 2018 - Present. 14 months. Repaired by Indigo Proof. Will probably wear more in the future.

Active

• Warehouse 800xx, 31 - Q4 2020 - Present. ~8 months. Main pair at the moment.
  • Warehouse 1001xx, 31 - Q3 2021 - Present. ~6 months. My "summer jeans," perfect for the warm months.
  • Samurai S3000vx, 31 - Q2 2022 - Present. ~4 months. I'm wearing these some days in cooler months.
  • Flat Head 7002W Shirt, 40 - Q2 2015 - Present. 16+ months. 
  • Strike Gold SGJ50S Jacket, 42 - Q1 2019 - Present. ~6 months.

Pending

• Flat Head 3005 (Japanese Domestic version), 32 - Q4 2021 - Present. ~1 month. Probably won't wear these in earnest until the two Warehouse and one Samurai pairs above hit a year of wear time, each.
  • Samurai S0510xx, 31 - Pre-brand overhaul version with yellow arcs, red tab, long inseam. 

Sold

Jeans I used to own and wore for at least a bit, but sold.

• Nudie Thin Finn Organic Ecru (2009), 30
  • Nudie Thin Finn Dry Stretch (2010), 30
  • Nudie Grim Tim (30) (2011), 30
  • Nudie Grim Tim (29) (2011), 29
  • Pure Blue Japan XX-011 (2011), 31
  • Flat Head SE05BSP (2012), 32
  • Samurai S0500xx (2012), 31
  • RJB D105 (2013), 31
  • Dawson Regular (2014), 30
  • Flat Head 2111 (2015), 32
  • Nudie coated black jeans (2017), 30
  • Nudie black jeans (2018), 30
  • Eternal 811 (2019), 31

Want To Wear, Someday

• TCB 50S
  • Sugar Cane Okinawa
  • Dead stock Flat Head 3003w

Analysis

These two Warehouse pairs are probably my favorite jeans I've ever worn. I don't like the fabrics quite as much as Flat Head's 14.5 oz denim, but the cuts, detailing, general vibe are just perfect. Easy to wear every day in any sort of outfit, comfortable, classic style.

I picked up two pairs of Samurai jeans early last year, liking the cuts and fabrics and seeing this as my last chance to stock up before the classic branding is phased out. However, it'll be ages before I get around to wearing the S0510s, unfortunately. I feel like it's best to focus on one, maybe two, pairs at a time, and I'd like to get my current active pairs to a year of wear time before starting on something new. I don't feel the need for any more jeans at present, I'd prefer to just keep wearing what I have for the next decade or so and get them repaired as necessary. I still enjoy wearing jeans a lot but I'm satisfied with what I own and unless something really fascinating comes out I don't feel the need to buy more.

I don't like to think of this as a "collection," aside from slimmer-fitting jeans I don't like wearing anymore, I want to keep wearing all my pairs as long as I can.

I haven't actually been excited about any denim related product for a while now. I bought 2 pairs last year on a whim, not desire or need. 

I'm more interested in buying items that break up the Flannel/loopwheel/workshirts that make up my wardrobe.

14 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

What a fucking horror show!

Sincerely hope this look doesn't make a resurgence. :blink2: Also the Native American imagery is still fairly prevalent in a lot of Japanese brands, always thought it was very strange.

Diggin deep to 2016.. :ph34r:

"Im struggling with this recent penchant for Native American jewelry, its aesthetically beautiful and made with love but its also heavily symbolic and means a lot to a group of peeps who in recent history were plundered, forcibly removed from their homeland and massacred.

How on earth do they feel when they see non native Americans wearing their cultural history for what a lot of folks could and will be a passing trend?
They might be happy to see other cultures finally sharing in their rich social history rather than the distorted cinematic parody? ..and surely the native American makers are happy this jewelry is saleable rather than not? Saying this im not American im only viewing this from afar and my own countries colonial past can hardly be described as welcomed. At the minute it seems there is nothing more soul destroying than Native Americans selling off the last of their heritage to cash rich white folk"

Ouch!

2009 I used to go to the boozer with a short SDA wallet in my back pocket.. (no wallet jewelry, i wasn't a complete twat) ..it was that fat, i would struggle to take it out of my pocket at the bar.. pulling and twisting my hips for leverage.. remind me how cool we were again.. i forget?!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

2 hours ago, Broark said:

Sincerely hope this look doesn't make a resurgence. :blink2: Also the Native American imagery is still fairly prevalent in a lot of Japanese brands, always thought it was very strange.

It’s not that strange to me. Japan has always had a penchant for Western style/fashion or non-Japanese trends. This is why when you go to Japan you’ll often see people who dye their hair blonde, wear blue contacts, get afros, etc. I think it’s because when you’re living in a homogeneous society you tend to embrace culture that’s different from yours. In Japan everyone looks and behaves the same and there are social norms in place that expect everyone to conform. All of a sudden non-Japanese culture starts to look appealing. I don’t believe Japanese people dress a certain way to disrespect anyone. They do it as a form of flattery, even if us Westerners think they’re being culturally insensitive.