How many pairs of jeans do you own?

:huh:  Jomon & Shoai in the same rotation ?!  :o  a pile of BNWT jawns on queue ?!  :wacko:  hence, the neurosis  ;) 

@CS, srsly, a fab collection .... would LUV to see how the ONIs are doing, as well ...  also, pm if you're getting rid of the spare :D .... btw, what's the tagged size?

Edited by BrownMetallic

Nudie Tight Long John Dry

Nudie Tight Long John organic twill rinsed - left it in my wahing-machine for a month (because it was broken and I couldn´t get it out) and thus it got kinda destroyed by fungus, but it looks cool and it´s super soft now

Nudie Tight Long John Black

Edited by Landadel

Surely room for a few more?? :P

Surely - there are still some empty spaces in my collection. I also plan to add more depth to specific brands...

Holy hell foxy, that is nuts.... Do you have a separate closet for all of your jeans?

BTW he has 59 pairs, save some people from counting.

I live in multiple countries which allows for dedicated storage space - the apartment has a high ceiling and the wardrobes are tall...

The actual body count is a little higher, I'm afraid to report. I did not mention duplicates and "sizing experiments".

God damn Denim Gluttony.

Guilty as charged.

Fab collection Foxy!

Thanks!

(A big collection is no indication of expertise! A small, but meaningful selection requires less resources and more dedication/discipline.)

Foxy, could we ask your natural waist size? Could serve as a useful reference for sizing across what is pretty much every brand covered!! Must be circa 33"?

The actual measurement (using a calibrated measuring tape) is currently somewhere between 35"-90cm.

There are a few additional factors to consider:

- where and how you wear your jeans

- the body is not solid and can be compressed

- most denim stretches/stretches back

Fox2, what's your favorite pair? Do most of them look new as day?

At the moment hat would be S5000VX (17oz.). Lot no. should be somewhere between 12-14 - can't make out the number any longer - I bought them from a forum member a few years back.

Most of my denim looks new, some is hardly worn, some will not be worn do to sizing (I might come across my size at some point in the future, though), some have been worn-in by me and some are quite well worn as I also trade and buy certain models second hand.

Fades are nice but not the most important thing to me - I love a deep indigo blue...

Thanks to all for the attention and the polite replies!

Foxy, your collection is amazing, and I am sure you understand, better than I do, the neglect-anxiety.

My ONI are tagged 32. I fluxuate between a true 33" and 34" depending on diet. I sized down a bit on these because of their reputation to stretch and also the fact they are a full cut. On something slimmer like a 710, I do a tagged 33". I will keep you all in mind of course, in the case of any sales.... but if you could see the duplicates in my record collection (my first passion) you might lose a bit of hope. I tend to keep back up copies of my favorite things. (Neurotic). Blue In Green does still stock Awa Shoai in tagged 32, though I know the price is a bit of a turn off. I did buy my first pair from them at full price though and feel that I got my moneys worth. Just an amazing job.

I may have made a new user faux pas in reporting my wear times. Those are not actual wear, its just the time since I first pulled them on. With that in mind, my 9 month ONI are probably closer to 4-6 weeks of actual wear given that I am an indigo-stained polygamist. I also took a sublet in Greenpoint in July because it was such a deal, but that NY summer was MURDER on my California body. I didnt wear anything but my LVC for the month of July. (Well... maybe some awful shorts on the really bad days) Point is, the ONI basically look brand new but they are still beautiful and I am happy to oblige requests for pictures. I dont wan't to derail this thread further so please head on over to the ONI THREAD for some pics of the Awa Shoai.

But here is a preview:

DSCN7076_zpsa8403845.jpg

Edited by ColdStorage

Just acquired: OKI-515   W34

kmmx.JPG

update:

Warning!!!... denim status/condition color coded   ;)

broken in = ie, +1yr of wear

green = new to about a month of wear
red = in various stages of break in__ ie, 2 to 12mos of effective wear

45RPM Fujimon   W33

5EP x SF   W33

Denime 66 circa '98 prod'n   W34

Fullcount x BIG x SuFu 1108C   W32

Gilded Age 1001 Ltd BC   W32

Gilded Age 1008b volcanic dyed   W32

IronHeart IH 634S-B   W32

Kapital Cisco   W32

Momotaro 701   W34

Momotaro 702   W33 +++recently SOLD

Momotaro 202SP   W34

Nudie Ralf Greycast   W33

Samurai s500XX   W33

Samurai s710XX   W33

Samurai 5000 ai-10sp  W33

Samurai Yamato s001jp   W34

Samurai Blue Shadow s710vx   W33  +++recently SOLD

Samurai JIN s0110xj    W34

SD 101   W33

SDA d1334   W33

SD 105   W33

SD x DB  OKI-515   W34

Skull 5010xx 6x6   W33

Strike Gold SG 1105    W33

Strike Gold SG 3105    W34

SE x SC02   W33

SugarCane Okinawa Grey    W33

PBJ 007   W33

PRPS circa '04    W33

Replay WR Ltd Ed.   W33

**Denim Jacket:

Diesel Type 3 circa '04    L

Momotaro MJ2103 Type 2   42

Edited by BrownMetallic

I had an interesting discussion with beautiful_freak yesterday, as he acquired the 25 oz Samurai, and we thought it might be interesting to discuss here as well. And I'm writing this in general, not directed at anybody special.

Looking at the last pages I can't help but feeling "sorry" for many special pairs, that might end up in collections and never get worn. I have the same feeling when it comes to whisky. (Whisky has to be drunken to appreciate it - I really mourn for a closed bottle that can never show what it has in it. But the best and most expensive bottles disappear in collector's shelves and just increase in value instead of serving the purpose they were made for.) 

Many people collect to posses (Not saying they don't enjoy this and when they got the cash it's their choice) - but the real value and intention of the jeans is to be worn hard so they can show their real potential. In fact, there's the so-called "Gear acquisition syndrome", that may influence us to get stuff because of our passion and knowledge for jeans. And this place helps feed the flames a lot.

I hope nobody feels offended by this, but I personally think a faded and cherished pair of Nudies are more interesting than an unworn japanese rarity. The real passion is shown through wear to me.

Another perspective might just be to appreicate the craftmanship and feel of new jeans - it it this that makes people collect, even if they could rotate their collection in one year and just wear every pair for one week?

Edited by Max Power

I completely agree Max, I only have three pairs of jeans right now and if I resisted buying any new ones they'd all look awesome a year from now.  I'd rather have a few great-looking broken-in pairs than a bunch that can't be worn as much as they deserve.

My way of thinking is that if you've got money to burn on clothing, instead of buying more jeans, why not stick to your current pairs and build up some other part of your wardrobe? (Like boots, shirts, etc.)

As MaxPower already said, we had a little chat about that topic. And as many know I come from the collector’s corner. However I only buy jeans which I can also wear (unless the sizing was off) and you won’t find a pair in my collection that hasn’t been worn for a while or that I still wear every now and then. But still I have my favorite pairs which I wear more often than others. Reasons for this are the different seasons, the fit and style/mood and of course that I want to see their faded state.

That said, there are also some jeans which I nearly enjoy more in their pristine state like my S0500XX.

I enjoy the craftsmanship and the little details and the state of the raw denim. Its surface and character. For this I don’t need to break them in. But then I also like the personal touch of a well worn-in pair.

I try to keep myself in the middle of the pure collector who won’t touch his treasures and the ones who don’t really care and abuse their jeans to death.

Along our discussion yesterday we also talked about buyer’s remorse and which jeans or items you “regret†buying. But that could be a thread of its own :)

Agree. I also have more denim than I actually need and I do get caught up in the whole buying thing. But I honestly do not have a pair of jeans that I don't intend to wear. The thing is for me I generally go over to Japan at least once a year, so end up splurging on too much when I'm there.

I don't understand the collecting jeans not to wear thing, each pair of mine will be worn in time.

(snip)

Looking at the last pages I can't help but feeling "sorry" for many special pairs, that might end up in collections and never get worn. I have the same feeling when it comes to whisky. (Whisky has to be drunken to appreciate it - I really mourn for a closed bottle that can never show what it has in it. But the best and most expensive bottles disappear in collector's shelves and just increase in value instead of serving the purpose they were made for.) 

(snip)

Given the "looking at the last pages" I suppose I am due to make a response here.

I collect three things: records, whisky and denim. I use all of them. Just because I can't use it right now doesn't mean I won't get around to it. That's why I don't buy things out of my size, they are all meant to be worn. Do not feel sorry for anything in my collection, It will be lovingly used (one day) or it will be sold. It's just that there are only so many hours in a day...

That being said, I know a lot of collectors who do not use their things. Sealed bottles of whisky, pristine mint LPs, folded Jeans with flashers attached tucked in the back of their closet. It's their money and they get satisfaction from it. Doesn't seem overly tragic. In fact, the archivist plays an important role in this culture. If it wasn't for people hanging on to their industrial tapes, unplayed for 30 years, I wouldnt have some of the nice reissues coming out today. Same with denim, some of the 'neglected' 501 deadstock was a critical component in development for certain repro companies.

IMO,  there are consumers & there are collectors.

i'm a lousy collector mainly cuz it's hard for me to keep things "mint".

my obsession is on the "experience" derived from my stuff,  rather than possession, per se'  ...  main reason  why i keep an eclectic lot.    

Every1's got a point .... most importantly, every1's got a role/purpose/function in this community_  just like in any other community/society.  

if all are users,  then everything will be plain old & "used".   

I have respect for both points of view, but personally I am certainly in the "buy to wear" side of things. I own 4 pairs of jeans, soon to be 6, and I would feel guilty not wearing them. I am not a rich guy by any means, so for me to have such an expensive item sat around doing nothing would be such a waste to me.

Again, this is my personal opinion, and for guys who can afford to buy loads of denim and leave it sat around doing nothing I can only express my envy.

I tend to think that the fun part in amassing denim was that you can switch it up during the different seasons. Out of all the denim brands that i tried I slowly trickled down to 2 ( Lee and Iron Heart) I am wearing up the rest of the collection slowly but those two brands are the only ones I am buying lately. Although wearing my sugar canes made me rethink that..

I guess I'm more on the "collectors" end of the spectrum because when I wear a pair, I focus on it exclusively without rotation, meaning every other pair gets shelved. On top of this, I end up buying more pairs on a whim (new release, wanting to buy a proper size, sales etc.) and the cycle continues.

That being said, I've always been a hoarder and will buy certain things with the intent of safekeeping them (my personal "Grails"; 15th Anniversary 1001XX Warehouse, Fullcount 0501 Wild Cotton when it comes out, etc.). Not sure how many I currently own total, but certainly enough to last a lifetime as most of us on here...

I've taken a look at my ridiculous collection (I maintain very small summer and winter rotations so most pairs are unworn) and thought "If my other half sees that I'm in trouble" and decided to stop buying. My only exception (other than complete bargains) will be if and when Ande Whall brings out a left hand twill. I've been resisting a pair of Full Count 0105 for a long time now and that is a real test of my resolve.

I presently own 7...this is the most denim I've ever owned at one point in my life

Mister Freedom 7161md

Mister Freedom 7163

Self Edge x Ring Ring x Flat Head (chopped to shorts)

Flat Head 3005

Roy SF01

Self Edge x Dry Bones Hank Dyed Natural Indigo

Strike Gold 2105

I've owned and sold/traded/gifted 4 pairs of Sugarcane 1947s in this time (amazingly every size from 32-36...the versatility of this jean is why it's one of my favorites) which along with this list completely covers every jean I've owned and worn for the last five years.  The 7161md's have 2.5 years of everyday wear, the ringrings got 8 or 9 months, the 3005s had 6 months straight, the 7163 and the Dry Bones each got less than two months.  The Roys are unhemmed and unsoaked.  I'm a month in on my 2105s now, and I will be giving them a full year barring unforeseen circumstances.

I've always been a pretty firm believer in having a jeans rotation of one, but when jeans that are one time only creations become available, sometimes it's pretty hard to resist, not wanting to regret missing out forever.  This is how I came to own the Roys and the Dry Bones right in the midst of a newish pair of 3005's that I was pretty committed to experimenting on very frequent washing with. Similarly, I bought the 7163s because they are such a unique denim and I love Christophe's unorthodox designs that somehow manage to be incredibly wearable and functional, and the pair I bought was the last available in a size I could wear.  I understand how easy it can be to accumulate jeans.

I have a strong personal appreciation for the collectors, whether they are just slowly cycling through all their jeans, or if they are actually keeping things unworn for archival purposes.  It will this be cool when you get to see this stuff 20-30 years later in as new condition.  Just based on the collections in the last couple pages, it also seems like a lot of rare, crazy, more expensive jeans are finding their way into collections...that is cool because the collectors are definitely pulling some weight in terms of ensuring sufficient demand for such products, which means that more interesting, expensive and exciting jeans will be made and available not only to collectors but also to people who want to have just one pair of jeans.  This is a win win win.