Screen Printing

DüM

I used to screenprint t-shirts and patches for the bands I was in during high school. I've got all the basics down, and have been playing around with poster printing recently, but want to get back into shirts. My standards have changed since high school though, so gildan, and not even aa are gonna fly - I'm just not a crust punk anymore. Does anyone have recs for high-quality, well-fitting shirt blanks?

Banana Republic blank shirts fit excellently (at least on my body type, seriously perfect), but I really doubt you can get any sort of wholesale price.

What paper do I fuck with for posters. This is something I have 0 knowledge of.

There is an insanely wide selection of paper on the market, and you're not going to find exactly what you're looking for until you've tried some out and have a better idea of what works for what you're doing. I'd recommend going to a nice art supply store that has a dedicated paper section, and talking to whoever works in that area. Unless you end up falling on some asshole art student, they should be real helpful.

I wish I could make some paper recommendations, but most of my paper knowledge is for use with intaglio, and it's just too different of a process to be comparable to screen printing. Most of the papers I have used for intaglio would have the ink bleed all through it, or straight up fall apart/rip if you tried to screen print on it. All I can say is that you probably want something that is above standard printing stock (24-32 lbs). Cover stock (68 lbs) as a good starting point for posters. You can go up or down from there depending on if you want thicker or thinner paper. Personally, I think 80 lbs stock (lowest thickness of card stock) is the best for posters, real rigid and sturdy. Then there's coated, uncoated, matte, glossy, semi-gloss, etc... so much variation.

Edited by bencap

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone have any experience with half-tone vectors? I've been messing wih scriptographer and Illustrator. But it is difficult to make the image look non pixelated. I've used the bitmap photoshop method but the half tones are not true half tones.

i used to design for screenprinting and we had photoshop add-ons specifically for that, can't remember the name off hand but there are processes in photoshop to create true halftones, something like this http://www.quikseps.com might be able to find something similar for free or torrent...

I dont know if this is the right place for it but, can anyone recommend me a company that i can ask to print and make shirts in LA? I need to make about 100-150 shirts in 1 design in 2 different color tees

Edit: My budget is about less than $6 for each shirt, this is around the price we paid at another company who used to print shirts for us but unable to get into contact with them

Edited by noobedloser

• 2 months later...