Skincare/Beauty/Nails/Hair

julzkind

So, I know its just a touch out of place--but if not in the trash, where else could it go?

I'm currently working at Sephora and I've got some great skincare, hair and beauty knowledge...

Samsikle I know is deep in the nail art bidness and I'm slowly but surely getting acclimated in that area

You got questions, I might have answers--post pics of editorials you find beautiful or even things your girl wants to know.

Never tried Paula's Choice, but def heard about it.

DDF has some really amaze glycolics, salicylics, benzoyl peroxides tho.

Their 10% sulfur mask has been a life saver on many occasion.

For cystic acne, put some glycolic oil on spot, let it dry n then put the sulfur mask on top. For topical blemishes, do the benzoyl peroxide or sulfur mask.

PS don't let your hoes wear MAC skin makeup!! its awful and will cause cystic acne. I don't know how many people I meet that say MAC messed their skin up.

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Daily Peel is amazing for exfoliating. It has glycolic, lactic, salicylic and retinol and its a gentle "peel" that evens skin tone, kills blemishes, pro-youth benefits....great when you don't want to use 50 million products.

Also, CLARISONIC. if you want super clean skin--holy shit.

LOL

pinknipple.jpg

and LOL

619421401_DKiec-M.jpg

all u need :P

or: P1272_hero.jpg

made specifically for strippers to make their nipples pink for more tips

P73514_hero.jpg

for armpit discoloration

Any recommendations for shaving cream/aftercare?

I have relatively sensitive skin + thick facial hair = shaving is painful :(

always shave AFTER showering. to aid in making it easier i like using a shave oil. the Eshu PreShave Oil is natural based and pretty cool.

I wanna do that face peel Christian Bale does in American Psycho when he's doing the monologue, moreso cause it just looks like it feels good. Does that even exist? I use the clay mask from Baxter every now and then and my face feels super clean after, but I want that latexish rubbery peel thing he does too.

ugh all those times i tipped fat because i thought her nipples were naturally that color

pink nips n pussy lips get me every time :cool:

I wanna do that face peel Christian Bale does in American Psycho when he's doing the monologue, moreso cause it just looks like it feels good. Does that even exist? I use the clay mask from Baxter every now and then and my face feels super clean after, but I want that latexish rubbery peel thing he does too.

boscia luminizing black mask. shit is intense but cleans everything out of your face. there is a certain way to pull it off tho. and you can be black for like 10 min

Any recommendations for shaving cream/aftercare?

I have relatively sensitive skin + thick facial hair = shaving is painful :(

go oldskool: brush, hot water and shaving soap/cream. also get a safety razor, they're a lot cheaper in the long run and the gimmiky razor with 5 blades won't do your delicate skin any good apart from skrubbing off skin you kinda need

i usually get much closer shaves that last longer and that shit smells and feels better (you will need to invest more time). avoid aftershave/shaving cream products with alcohol, they tend to dry out your skin

be gentle to your face when shaving, use short clean shaving motions (check youtube, there's an old dude, who's got some great instructional vids)

there's a lot more to be said here, general rule of thumb the more expensive your equipment (except for the razor) the better. key elements are the pre shave prep and the quality of lather. get a brush with real hair, you will be able to whisk up a good lather a lot faster and get a much nicer quality of lather

after the shave make sure you get ALL the soap off your face with hot water then rinse a couple more times with the coldest water you can manage. this closes the pores on your face and wakes you the fuck up in the morning. apply an after shave lotion that suits your skin, this might take a lot of trial and error to get the right product. the result will blow you away though.

also get a shaving stick to quickly heal small cuts and bruises, also prevents ingrown hair (burns like fuck but you won't look all cut up)

my nose and forehead tend to get greasy during the day, how can i control this? i have rather large pores - i think

i tried my girls face scrub a couple of times but never felt like it actually did any good. just dried out my skin and after applying lotion the areas just got greasy again

my nose and forehead tend to get greasy during the day, how can i control this? i have rather large pores - i think

i tried my girls face scrub a couple of times but never felt like it actually did any good. just dried out my skin and after applying lotion the areas just got greasy again

310742023497.jpg

Cleansing pads! Preferably one without alcohol.

Avoid drying out your skin or else your body will create more oils. Moisturize your skin even if it's oily.

st ives scrub ever other day

so fresh, so clean

That actually creates little pot holes in the skin. The grains are far too rough to do any good!

I'm lazy as fuck and I usually don't remember to use 3 or 4 facial products a day so if you could only recommend one facial cleaner for a guy, what would it be?

Cetaphil makes a great daily wash/lotion. Esp if you don't want to pay crazy for a simple one.

go oldskool: brush, hot water and shaving soap/cream. also get a safety razor, they're a lot cheaper in the long run and the gimmiky razor with 5 blades won't do your delicate skin any good apart from skrubbing off skin you kinda need

i usually get much closer shaves that last longer and that shit smells and feels better (you will need to invest more time). avoid aftershave/shaving cream products with alcohol, they tend to dry out your skin

be gentle to your face when shaving, use short clean shaving motions (check youtube, there's an old dude, who's got some great instructional vids)

there's a lot more to be said here, general rule of thumb the more expensive your equipment (except for the razor) the better. key elements are the pre shave prep and the quality of lather. get a brush with real hair, you will be able to whisk up a good lather a lot faster and get a much nicer quality of lather

after the shave make sure you get ALL the soap off your face with hot water then rinse a couple more times with the coldest water you can manage. this closes the pores on your face and wakes you the fuck up in the morning. apply an after shave lotion that suits your skin, this might take a lot of trial and error to get the right product. the result will blow you away though.

also get a shaving stick to quickly heal small cuts and bruises, also prevents ingrown hair (burns like fuck but you won't look all cut up)

Def buy quality products, The Art Of Shaving makes a kit specifically for sensitive skin, some even with a razor. But I would recommend also gentle exfoliating to make sure no dead skin is between the razor an your skin (which can cause ingrowns) and like I said, shave AFTER shower.

Cleansing pads! Preferably one without alcohol.

Avoid drying out your skin or else your body will create more oils. Moisturize your skin even if it's oily.

Or a purifying cleanser that cleans and restores ph balance and I agree, a lotion (oil free) and oil controlling! If you find your skin is mostly oily and you haven't moisturizer after washing it--that's why. If you wash and then don't moisturize, your skin goes into repair mode overproducing oils to compensate which causes clogged pores and breakouts!

i have had terrible skin my whole life (acne in my teens, now i just have a really oily nose and desert-level dryness/sensitivity everywhere else). this is what i have found to work for me 'best', although it is far from perfect. i have tried everything from $5 shit from supermarkets to up to $200 cleansers.

morning:

cetaphil gentle skin cleanser in the shower.

after shower, cold water on face.

night:

st. ives apricot scrub (sometimes every 2nd night as magnetic said, but in winter i usually need to do it every night),

and/or cetaphil gentle skin cleanser,

then cold water,

then epiduo on my forehead (prescription).

i shave every 2nd day, and just use a 4-blade joint with nivea sensitive shaving cream.

for moisturiser, i use neutrogena (all their other products are garbage, stay away) oil-free moisture for sensitive skin.

julz, any recommendations for moisturiser? its great for the price point, but i would be happy to spend more for something that worked better. keep in mind the whole dry/sensitive skin thing.

edit: i forgot to mention, about a year ago my acne started coming back on my forehead and i wasn't really sure why - i was lurking the acne.org boards and i saw this thread on orange juice with people saying it caused them to breakout. well, i was drinking like 3 glasses a day and stopped completely. within about a week or so the acne had improved by about 80%, so maybe give it a try if you're having problems. i had a glass the other week and broke out, so i know there is some sort of connection.

great thread !!111

today at sephora in SF a cute makeup artist did some awesome heavy tranny makeup on me. totally sold me the two faced eyeshadow kit, even though they were aggressively forcing the eye primer on me which I didn't buy.

or should I buy it!??! it is absolutely, 100% necessary?

For moisturiser I can recommend the products of

La Roche - Posay XY Homme series for men (they got a gel and balm for sensitive skin) and the moisturizer from Baxter of California. A year ago I got a few samples from Julisis...top notch products with a different level but way to expensive for my requirement.

I had problems with shaving too, because of sensitive skin. Even with warm up and cool down and various after shaves. I switched from shaving cream to F. Trumpers rose shaving soap and don't have problems any longer.

there's a face moisturizer that i bought from Trader Joe's that's actually pretty amazing. it's in an orange bottle and cost no more than $5, probably $3.99. smells a bit more fruity than i'd like but besides that it works great.

but also i find that your cleanser definitely affects how your moisturizer works for you. for example, i'll use Aveda's tourmaline charged exfoliating cleanser with the Trader Joe's moisturizer, but if i use the Shu Uemura ($60+) moisturizer, my skin becomes way too oily.

St. Ives is a no-no! there are better exfoliants/cleansers out there.

I try to keep it simple, and also watch what I eat. I cut out dairy and soy milk as well (drink rice milk). Anything that may contain hormones as does milk/soy will cause break outs/red spots.

Shaving:

Gellitte ProGlide

Jack Black 'Supreme' Cream Triple Cushion Shave Lather

Morning after rinse face (lukewarm, no towels (too harsh)), lotion up EVERYDAY:

Olay Beauty Fluid SPF 15

Too lazy to find an alternative but this has been working great. Would like it to have higher SPF and less oily throughout day, otherwise +++++

Shower, bust out your facial cleanser:

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Daily Scrub

Use this daily, not harsh on skin. You may want to try it every other day at the beginning to let your skin get use to it. Very refreshing, just a small dab; I like to use like a size of a penny.

At night, rinse face again (lukewarm water), floss your teeth!, apply this after 10min or so:

Paula's Choice Exfoliating 2% BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid) Liquid

Clear skin everyday! No more worrying about waking up with a surprise. I can finally wake up, wash up, get dressed, fix hair and run out the door. FYI, my skin is SUPER sensitive...I'll get small rashes if there is slightest thing on my skin/red spots that will itch. I have been following this 'routine' 3+ years and it has been working. Again, nothing too complicated...

Now, can the ladies recommend a good wax for brows? (3)

^First, great skin matenience! i honestly don't do mine myself. My skin reacts really badly to eyebrow waxing so I get mine threaded. Fastest most hygienic way to get clean brows! Look up threading in the services section on your cities craigslist...I found a lady to do my brows for only $3!!

julz, any recommendations for moisturiser? its great for the price point, but i would be happy to spend more for something that worked better. keep in mind the whole dry/sensitive skin thing.

I honestly love all natural brands for sensitive skin. Aveda, Aveeno, Burt's Bees, Boscia, Caudalie, Ole Henrikson, Skyn Iceland, Korres. All have really great options. One I reach for most often for clients that have dry sensitive skin is the Caudalie Vinosource Quenching Sorbet Creme. Affordable hydrating, great for hypersensitive skin!

great thread !!111

today at sephora in SF a cute makeup artist did some awesome heavy tranny makeup on me. totally sold me the two faced eyeshadow kit, even though they were aggressively forcing the eye primer on me which I didn't buy.

or should I buy it!??! it is absolutely, 100% necessary?

Tyty! Was Sam's idea! What artist was it? Erik Soto works at the SF store and he certified me for makeup application and lashes(only certified cast are allowed to apply full face/lashes now)! I'm so jealous the major stores get to have such talent in their areas daily!!! What palette did you buy? They did a rly good job repackaging them :). And YES, to me primer is essential. But, you can prime with a bunch of diff things. Concealer, foundation, cream shadows and the eyeshadow primer. I was using a cream eyeshadow before I got a free primer sample and really don't see a difference between the two.

there's a face moisturizer that i bought from Trader Joe's that's actually pretty amazing. it's in an orange bottle and cost no more than $5, probably $3.99. smells a bit more fruity than i'd like but besides that it works great.

but also i find that your cleanser definitely affects how your moisturizer works for you. for example, i'll use Aveda's tourmaline charged exfoliating cleanser with the Trader Joe's moisturizer, but if i use the Shu Uemura ($60+) moisturizer, my skin becomes way too oily.

St. Ives is a no-no! there are better exfoliants/cleansers out there.

Shu Uemura is def going to be a more rich and luxurious product. Brands like that and Chanel and La Mer don't really focus on controlling oil, hydration and glow is usually the brand essence. It's rly just trial and error and making sure all the factors you need/have are taken into consideration when choosing skin care/makeup.

oooh good to know. the makeup artist was norman (I think)

they gave me the too faced primer samples so I'm going to try them, if not my go-to concealer is MAC 35 in the tube so let's see how that turns out as a substitute.

the palette is ***SMOKEY EYE***

Ooh I don't know everyone there, I wish they would hurry up and send me to training in SF already tho!! =/

The smokey palette is becoming my fave, that clovers color is <3! N yeah, try them out but esp w that palette I like the concealer like color base. Makes the colours richer