Movies that people like but which actually suck aka "classics" that shouldn't be classics

okonomi

• 2 weeks later...

220px-titanic_poster.jpg

Saw it with my girlfriend the other day. That fucking movie is not as big and good as everyone wants it to be. Sure, the pictures are amazing, but the plot is so predictable that even the plot twists are extremely predictable. I argued over this with my girlfriend quite a lot. I gave up though. I decided to rant here, like a true man.

^^ So many unbearable lame/mega cliché plot and scripting choices and much of the effects look terrible already (see: Avatar in ten years).

Though Leo, man, he got me feeling all emotional even though I knew I shouldn't be.

Edited by okonomi

• 6 months later...

Batman Begins, Inception - both really sloppy and pretentious

Avatar - who actually likes this?

Most Tarantino, but especially Inglorious Basterds is way overrated

Sin City - gimmicky

The Social Network - ok, but definitely not the new Citizen Kane

My Blueberry Nights - worst film ever, thoroughly disappointing to see Wong do this to his other films

Edited by digitalmountain

346446.1020.A.jpg

Manhattan. Pretty much everything Woody Allen's done for that matter.

All his movies are pretty watchable.

The thing is, they're all quaint new-age romanticist stories. They aren't meant to be revered as classics and, imo, that's their only reaaal crime.

Batman Begins, Inception - both really sloppy and pretentious

Avatar - who actually likes this?

Most Tarantino, but especially Inglorious Basterds is way overrated

Sin City - gimmicky

The Social Network - ok, but definitely not the new Citizen Kane

My Blueberry Nights - worst film ever, thoroughly disappointing to see Wong do this to his other films

wtf...

I feel like a lot of movies nowadays rely heavily on building up expectations/hype, which influences the first viewing.

Of course it's nice to feel really excited to see the latest Superhero/Tarantino/ etc. after having chased after every set-photo or clip (I'm not excluding myself here). But a lot of the films I mentioned before don't really hold up well once you strip back all the hype, for example on a second or third viewing.

samaritan girl, address unknown, spring/summer etc and 3-iron (esp 3-iron, would be in my top 5 of all time) are incredible - saying that, i thought bad guy kind of sucked and time was pretty average. i haven't seen any of his newest joints (post-time) because i'm lazy so i can't comment on what they're like.

re: women, i hate them too so i guess that's why i'm such a big fan.

edit: dream has odagiri in it, came out in 2008 and i still haven't fucking seen it. i'm terrible.

Edited by conqueror