real americans.

jackg's comments up about america made me think about my time here and the differences between USA and AUS.

i'm leaving america tomorrow to go home to Aus after studying in Boise for 4 months and travelling reasonably extensively down both east and west coastlines. Granted i didn't really go to the south (houston and san ant) I don't really think America is _that_ much worse than Australia re:fat people. The major differences and causes in my eyes were that a) fast food is literally overflowing in almost every city/town/truck stop/highway, b ) its fucking cheap and c) everything here has sugar or sugar substitutes (corn syrup).

I would almost guarantee Australia would be worse if prices and availability were the same. The corn syrup thing i just don't understand, holy fuck i have never craved a piece of nice bread so much in my life. This shit is literally in everything from drinks to bread and..fucking everything.

Obviously i haven't seen the hotspots but i've talked with fellow students who studied in Florida and the middle states and they agreed that the younger population of Americans (~25, those still in college) are actually in a lot better shape. Honestly it shocked me that everyone wasn't fat when i got to college. I think there is a decent culture of sport and a healthy lifestyle (maybe not a diet) but when people start leaving college and landing jobs they just quit being active all together. I see Australia as a nation where the adults are generally quite active and playing sport is a big part of life even if its just a casual soccer or cricket game with your mates weekly.

These are just my observations of a admittedly fairly brief exposure to the US.

Edited by jaac

Really late response to this but...

The summer I graduated high school my band toured the country, when I stopped at a Dairy Queen in Utah all of the workers were twenty something year old women that looked like volleyball players and were in perfect shape... some were even sweeping the floor

So they exist, just in some twilight zone area of Utah

Our car broke down in Cedar City, Utah on the way home from Vegas a few years back. We went into a gas station, a Walmart, and a fast food joint. The women working everywhere were attractive!!! It was definitely a strange scene.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/equal-opportunity-our-national-myth/?smid=fb-share

"The gap between aspiration and reality could hardly be wider. Today, the United States has less equality of opportunity than almost any other advanced industrial country. Study after study has exposed the myth that America is a land of opportunity."

thoughts?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I shot a nail into my hand the other day and used some of my insurance to see a doctor.  The cocksucker was unable to spell "puncture" and repeatedly typed "puncher" into his McDonald's-like drop-down doctor menu.

Yay for our irreplaceable health care "choices."   Yeah let's protect em.

America's healthcare system sucks so bad. "Hospital" is like a codeword "billing center" in this country. Last time I went to the ER, the doctor couldn't even repeat the symptoms I was describing as he wrote them down after I had waited two hours to see him. The only one who did a good job the entire time I was there was the guy who came into my room to get my insurance information. 

*btw- I was smugly misdiagnosed with carpal tunnel when I actually had pinched nerve. 

As a consumer, you should research which hospitals are good in your area. Generally speaking, university hospitals are always a good bet. Most physicians who work in this type of setting are dedicated and are usually up-to-date on information. Also, "rich" private hospitals are good. 

One misconception that people have about the wait times at ER. It's not that they are actually slow or forgetting about you. Hospital staff usually triages / prioritizes patients based on their presenting conditions. If I were joint pain (or whatever you had), it would definitely get the lowest priority because it won't kill you immediately. If I had a choice, I would have gone to an urgent care place, not an ER. 

I wouldn't necessarily recommend going to student health either. If you have a decent insurance, I would definitely have a primary care provider in internal medicine or family medicine who has been in practice and gets a lot of local street cred.

Edited by herpsky

It's way better than medical care in other parts of the world.

So stop complaining.

Not actually true, at least among industrialized nations. The US ranks very low on all kinds of epidemiological measures - infant mortality, average lifespan, incidence per 100,000 of many diseases, etc. And even assuming that we DID have the best system, what good does that do us if it's going to bankrupt the country?

(full disclosure: work in healthcare IT, am intimately familiar with the specific problems with our healthcare system)

Edited by blm14

Not actually true, at least among industrialized nations. The US ranks very low on all kinds of epidemiological measures - infant mortality, average lifespan, incidence per 100,000 of many diseases, etc. And even assuming that we DID have the best system, what good does that do us if it's going to bankrupt the country?

(full disclosure: work in healthcare IT, am intimately familiar with the specific problems with our healthcare system)

It is true.

Please come to Tokyo and cry me a river.

US health care is vastly better than the shit service provided here.

And I said SOME not ALL.

My insurance was billed $1200 and I was billed $200 for that visit (not to mention the $300/month I pay to have health insurance every month), and then I was billed again when I had to go to my general practitioner to get a real diagnosis. And I can't imagine how bad the hospital would have treated me if I hadn't had insurance. Why wouldn't I complain about that?

*Edit- And I don't care if medical care in other parts of the world is worse than it is here, I want healthcare here to be the best regardless. 

there's a good chance you shouldn't have been billed for the primary care visit.

nice thing about having insurance is that they are good at not paying for stuff. protects you from getting overcharged.

also, if you don't like what you're paying for healthcare, always complain. you can get discounts and get out of paying. if price is a factor, make it one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...