Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm new here sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I just got a pair of STFs and I love them, only issue is I wear lots of Jordans and they're wide shoes. The leg opening is too narrow to go over the shoes right. Is there anything I can do to stretch out the leg opening of me jeans? Thanks alot.

goldnboy if they are new - then get them hemmed or do a soak and get um hemmed a few inches .. then the bottom will get wider a little ..

Remember though STF will shrink on the length so if you didn't buy them 6" too long youre stuck with them ..

You can stuff the legs with towels and after you soak them the 1st time beat the hell out of with the towels in so they dont shrink up and you stretch them out like 1/2" maybe 1" tops ... Then stuff them so more and leave um like that til they dry ..

guess that's your only option and keep them outta water long as possible dry clean then prepare to restuff and beat them once they've faded how you like ..

goldnboy if they are new - then get them hemmed or do a soak and get um hemmed a few inches .. then the bottom will get wider a little ..

Remember though STF will shrink on the length so if you didn't buy them 6" too long youre stuck with them ..

You can stuff the legs with towels and after you soak them the 1st time beat the hell out of with the towels in so they dont shrink up and you stretch them out like 1/2" maybe 1" tops ... Then stuff them so more and leave um like that til they dry ..

guess that's your only option and keep them outta water long as possible dry clean then prepare to restuff and beat them once they've faded how you like ..

Thanks so much I'm gonna give that a try, or maybe just buy a much bigger pair. Thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
none of this noob of the month bs

he used the search function without being told

unless there is a backstory to this taht i havent seen

thats admirable in my opinion

the most commonly asked question about what to do with a brand new shrink to fit is the most obvious asnwer

shrink to fit them, soak in a tub with them on or take a shower temp doesnt matter too much cause you havent worn them at all yet, just to get them to shrink to fit your body,

oh, i was sposed to bathe in the first?

ididn't do that.. am i going to be noob of the month? am i going to be special?

• 1 month later...

First ever pair of raw denim so this is an experiment...I usually wear 29x32 so I bought these in 30x34.

Before Soaking:

img1996ui0.jpg

Soaked for 3 and a half hours in cold water (added a pinch of salt).

Soaking Wet (for about 5 hours):

img2045rx2.jpg

img2048iw4.jpg

After Soaking:

img2052jo5.jpg

img2050mq9.jpg

Been wearing almost every day for 3 weeks.

Currently (3 weeks):

img2405oy1.jpg

img2404is8.jpg

img2401tr4.jpg

img2396vh3.jpg

What do you think?

honestly, not bad at all. i like how these fit after a soak but then again i gave up on these after 2 pairs and im never looking back. i think the loss of indigo makes them a really awkward blue. youll probably move on to something else eventually (hopefully). ive seen some quite decent 501 though so good luck on these!

i havent had a pair of STF's for a long time, but this thread caught my eye, and i think i'd definately go for a pair as some bigger summer weight kinda jeans. i imagine 35x36 would do the strick, but how is shrinkage after a soak with these? i wore them as just jeans back in the day rather than what you're supposed to do with raw (or rawish) denim.

i havent had a pair of STF's for a long time, but this thread caught my eye, and i think i'd definately go for a pair as some bigger summer weight kinda jeans. i imagine 35x36 would do the strick, but how is shrinkage after a soak with these? i wore them as just jeans back in the day rather than what you're supposed to do with raw (or rawish) denim.

if i remember correctly, shrinkage is 10%.. about 1"-1.5" on the waist, 2" on the inseam.

• 2 weeks later...
Another noob here...I took a 10 min shower with those on...they seem to have barely shrunk in the waist or inseam, so today i left them (without my wearing them) in a 30 min. steaming hot shower. Was this a bad idea?

You'd be probably better off if you soak them in a bucket of hot water. Better shrinkage and a lot less waste of water. That's just me been narky though, since we're having the worst drought in 100 years down here in Aus.

If you want to shrink them, just soak them in hot water and hot tumble dry. They'll shrink up like (I can't think of a non-sexual similie). Mine did, and I sized 1 down on raw (yeah, I was noob too). No great loss over $26 though.

You'd be probably better off if you soak them in a bucket of hot water. Better shrinkage and a lot less waste of water. That's just me been narky though, since we're having the worst drought in 100 years down here in Aus.

If you want to shrink them, just soak them in hot water and hot tumble dry. They'll shrink up like (I can't think of a non-sexual similie). Mine did, and I sized 1 down on raw (yeah, I was noob too). No great loss over $26 though.

But they're raw, so won't throwing them in the dryer ruin the ability for the jeans to fade with cool whiskering and stuff over the next few months? Or is it something else that you can do to mess them up that will cause them to lose the ability to fade?

Again, I'm a noob to raw denim, so I can be (and probably am) wrong.