Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

^ that reminds me of...

Hey guys, last year at the levi's store in Gotemba (Japan) I saw these Levi's with the back leather tag written in purple.

Are those rare?

Jesus you're a fucking childish moron, you get one neg on a fucking dumb post and you give 20 of mine a neg, what age are you??? Dolt.

I got my first pair in june 1985 and my friend told me to wash them 8 times in a row and thats what I did so they shrinked a lot but still baggy for my taste at the time as I had levis orange tab with zipper fly. 501s came with metalic color buttons but my friends were cooper and heavier.

I

You're claiming to be a hell of a lot older than I would have guessed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here are three STF I have in my rotation currently.  Each had one initial hot soak and 3-5 machine washes, but the wear & wash routine has been different for each.  Not the best photographer, but these capture the actual color pretty well. 

Here's the three together, the other pics are spoilered to save space

IMG_1200_zpsdbd9047d.jpg

Worn since Xmas

IMG_1192_zps23354e1a.jpg

IMG_1195_zpsd3a913ce.jpg

Worn since October (Haven't worn since last wash, hence unsightly creases):

IMG_1187_zpsfa5772b9.jpg

IMG_1190_zps39c1f02b.jpg

Worn since late last summer, spilled acrylic gloss all over them early on:

IMG_1197_zps39d230f1.jpg

IMG_1199_zps19bd967c.jpg

Does anybody, maybe Paul T, have any idea what the story is with this particular tag, I've never seen these kinda numbers before, 29501???

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

I'll answer my own question, after further research I think these might be 501's for women.

Well done me. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I find these really hard to fade. Haven't worn them for that reason for ages. How the hell do you guys get these to look so cool?

Fit:

8602420443_1f999492f8_b.jpg

comparison before- & after wash:

7319833186_a49a4b4b42_b.jpg

Edited by Capibaro

Patience is a virtue ;) I agree they are indeed difficult to fade, just have patience and wear them hard...the upside? I guess they can also have a longer "worn-in-look" lifespan than the momos, sams etc which are relatively easier to fade

I find these really hard to fade. Haven't worn them for that reason for ages. How the hell do you guys get these to look so cool?

Fit:

8602420443_1f999492f8_b.jpg

7319833186_a49a4b4b42_b.jpg

@mf051404 awesome pair. Very motivating to put mine back in rotation

• 1 month later...

Need advise from guru...smiley.gif
I was looking for a pair of Levi's Vintage Clothing 1947 501XX Jeans from UnionMade.
http://unionmadegoods.com/brands/levis-vintage-clothing/?posts_per_page=96

Currently most of my denim measured at 39cm (15.35 inches) after hot soak and now I was stuck between the size tag 30 (w:15.5) & tag 31 (w:16).
After reading thru past posts and realize that it will shrink 0.5 after warm soak hence should I take tag 31 (warm soak) or tag 30 (after cold soak)?

Notice that there are 3 type of 1947...
Levi's Vintage Clothing
1947 501 Rigid

The 1947 501 is hailed as the definitive five-pocket jean, and the quintessential 501. This historic reproduction of the 1947 501 features a straight leg fit and the post World War II return of the stitched arcuate.

1947 501XX Jeans New Rinse
The quintessential American blue jean, this rinsed version of the 1947 is our favorite fit from LVC's line of 501 reproductions. The 1947 is slim and straight through the legs.

1947 501 Rough Rinse
Shrink to Fit redline selvedge denim woven at the historic Cone Mills White Oak Plant in Greensboro, North Carolina.

What the diff between this 3 type???

Edited by helanga

As far as I know (most info taken from this forum):

Rigid: raw

New Rinse: pre-shrunk

Rough Rinse: wrinkled and pre-shrunk and has resin treatment aimed at faster fading (and it seems to do so based on the one I have)

Be careful in sizing with the raw/rigid 1947, if you have big thighs you might want to size up because based on experience these are very tight-fitting at the thighs after the initial soak. I think it would be safer to ask for the actual measurements when you are buying online, better yet is to buy from an actual store so you could take a fitting as sizing Levi's is quite fuzzy.

Be careful in sizing with the raw/rigid 1947, if you have big thighs you might want to size up because based on experience these are very tight-fitting at the thighs after the initial soak. I think it would be safer to ask for the actual measurements when you are buying online, better yet is to buy from an actual store so you could take a fitting as sizing Levi's is quite fuzzy.

Thanks for ur advise.

I don't think 1947 501 rigid is available in Singapore.

Which online site do u recommend...:)

my pair, got them seinor year of highschool (2011-2012) and they were the only jeans i wore all year. they ended up forgotten about in a closet back home when i went away to college but after dropping out i found them and they quickly turned back in to my go-to jeans. washed only 3-4 times whenever i got toodrunk and peed in them. hole in the crotch, hole in the coin pocket as well as one of the regular pockets. comfy as hell but they are being replaced by a pair of ironhearts in the next week.

if anyone wants the hookup on this fire ass $20 belt and keychain dangle, check your local amish comminuty. ;)

AFA20C86-FE63-47E0-9EE8-3E25251E1811_zps

27332C35-666B-4557-98EC-C4C6779B7DFE_zps

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd share my summer project.

New old stock from ebay, UK made STFs. Wore them 6 weeks, put them on in the bath, wore them till dry, then wore them for another 20 weeks.

These were not worn every day, but I only counted the days I wore them.

After 6 months of total wear they were filthy: I'd even worn them for digging and laying a drive, though they seemed to self-clean to some extent. I stuck them in the washer with some Ecover detergent (on an extra-water 60 degree cycle, much reduced spin, together with a clean pair of jeans) and here they are.

IMG_2552%2B-%2BCopy.JPG

IMG_2554%2B-%2BCopy.JPG
They were risking a blowout, so I had to add a couple of reinforcements. Probably didn't help that they were a bit baggy.

IMG_2557%2B-%2BCopy.JPG

IMG_2556%2B-%2BCopy.JPG

Edited by Ric2013

• 4 weeks later...

Just skimmed through first 30 pages of this thread. Lol. I gave someone a negative rep point but only by accident. Thumbs too big.... I've seen some amazing fades here, proof that 30$ raws are fade worthy. STF's are good, selvedge or not. I just copped a pair of the Premium (selvedge) 501's From the SF store for $90. The quality/details has only gotten better in Mexico! Truth in sarcasm. Sized up 2 for an anti-hero fit, hella big. I'm post pics later

Edited by Robert Langdon

^ It's true, they have been super consistent since consolidating in Mexico.  I used to buy them for work way before I was ever "into" raw and quality used to be all over the place.  I remember South Africa making the nicest ones imo and I'd always pick through for a pair of those.

Levis premium 501 selvedge tag 36x34

Raw specs approx.

W18.5

Th14

Fr13

Br16.5

In34

Rinsed specs approx

W18

Th13.5

Fr12

Br16

In32

Bought 2 sizes too big (over oversized). Worn 3 days dry( to form fit fwiw). No tub so I Took a 40 min hot shower and the jeans shrunk right before my eyes. It was pretty amazing btw. I'm actually pretty stoked on the loose anti-fit. Sits right on my hips and with the long rise the inseam allows a stacked cuff. Worn damp to dry...Side note, levis SF can install crotch rivets for 5 bucks. Haven't decided if i really want one though.

image-24.jpg

image-25.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Fit:

I think those look pretty cool man. They are probably designed not to fade so that they stay "darker", which can be an upside, if you want darker colored jeans. They are hella cheap anyways.