Undercover x Uniqlo

homme.homme

I'm not a big UC follower, so i just found out that UC already released a version of that biker a few years ago (late pass, whatever)

That kinda cheapens the whole thing even more.....

I find their collaborations far too business-oriented. In the early ’90s, when there was no such thing as a category called collaboration in the fashion industry, I worked with Nigo just because we were very good friends and wanted to create something purely out of interest. We just enjoyed working together without thinking of our activity as business. Under the current difficult economic situation, such collaborations between the big maisons have impact. But to me, they seem to lack a pure intention to pursue something for fun or creativity.

In other words, their collaborations are productive only in terms of business. If you ask me whether or not I’m interested in such kind of collaboration, my answer would have to be no.

- Jun Takashi

People change their minds, it's no big deal.

oh please. bending over backwards is changing your mind now? Fuck that. The guy literally said I would not do such a collaboration, when the interviewer specifically mentioned Uniqlo and Jil Sander. thats not a change of mind, that is completely turning his back on the philosophy he has preached.

Less than two years ago he put a label on every Undercover garment denouncing mass production and fast fashion, calling it soulless and cheap. "Ordinary consumers are attracted to fast fashionchain stores and even form long queues outside them. Money has become the new authority, this is the new trend."

oh please. bending over backwards is changing your mind now? Fuck that. The guy literally said I would not do such a collaboration, when the interviewer specifically mentioned Uniqlo and Jil Sander. thats not a change of mind, that is completely turning his back on the philosophy he has preached.

Less than two years ago he put a label on every Undercover garment denouncing mass production and fast fashion, calling it soulless and cheap. "Ordinary consumers are attracted to fast fashionchain stores and even form long queues outside them. Money has become the new authority, this is the new trend."

Everybody who has read that text should have been able to see that it was just pretense. Just about as meaningless as YMC saying, "YMC are not lead or influenced by seasonal trends but try to provide the solution for intelligent clothing that is wearable," and then coming out with Camo print derbies and fluorescent orange deck shoes.

He can blame it on his lady friend!

I hope it doesn't sell out. I am supposed to stop at the Marni thing on the 8th and blow my load. UU can either be lots more ugly pieces or blow my mind. Hope for the latter.

I'm getting excited about checking this out when it drops, but I gotta say that the styling/models do absolutely nothing for me. Hopefully it will be better in person, but the site makes me feel kinda bored when looking at the products. This shot is prime example. It looks like a nerdy dad who caught on to the hype train.

Edit: Looks like Desi and I were thinking the same thing...

m_uu-120228_Coordinate_02.jpg

Edited by captain5640

i convinced myself last night to pass on the rider.

only will be picking up some graphic tees (UU x 3 in each color, Snail tee in black, and shirts...easy pants+jacket also if i want to spend some more $$) basic tees are also nice in the purple, green, and blue...get both in l/s and s/s or ??

Rider, i may as well go for a ToJ though I understand the price is drastically different. From the online view though, the rider does (caps) look rather "nerdy dad"

Edited by gettoasty